Would you move your family for a job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scissorz

Reaction score
Just after opinions on what you would do, I came out of hairdressing a few months ago due to a bad experience with my previous employer in a salon, I decided to go into something completely different (business development manager for another company) I like this job but its not my passion!! I've now been offered a position teaching hair at a private college down south, the deal is brilliant, I will get my accessors award, teacher training and qualifications (something I've always wanted) for free and a fantastic pay packet on top!! Problem is my daughter, she's only young and will be starting school next year, she's extremely bright for her age but I'm worried I would be up routing her from everything she knows. If it was just me I would go tomorrow but I don't want to disrupt her if for whatever reason it all goes wrong, I think it's also the anxiety of knowing I will not be able to spend as much time with her as I do now, I've never left her with anyone other than play group before. This is a massive opportunity for us just don't know if I should wait until she's older, but risk not having this offer again, what would you do?

if its what you want then go for it or you will always think what if....if your daughter is young she will adapt so easily, kids do, its when they are older that its harder....if it doesnt work out you go back home and start again xx

Kids are great at adapting and as she'll be starting school soon I'd go for it now school will mean slightly less time with her anyway your getting what your dream is and youll have more money for treats and adventures not to mention most of school holidays off with your daughter good luck xxx

I'd say go for it! It's not like your taking your daughter out of one school and to another. That would be harder. Do what will make you happy. Xoxo

I know its not quite the same but our kids move every 2/3 years due to hubbys work (army). Kids adapt amazingly and handle it so much better than we do. You have to do what feels right and what works best for your family. No-one can give you the answer to this unfortunately. Good Luck with your choices x

My daughter has lived in 6 houses in 3 different cities and 2 different countries.... her 6th birthday isn't until next month. We have moved to study, for jobs, for lifestyle and we intend to move again in another yr or so.

She is very bright, well rounded, articulate and well traveled in comparison to her classmates - if its a good offer take it!

My hubby in the forces too, we have our own home in Glasgow but hubby got posted to Wales 18mths ago and we decided to move as a family.
I was like you nervous as my eldest wad due to start School too, no need to worry as others have said kids adapt better than us, she will meet new friends join new clubs and be excited about starting school, what's the worst that can happen??

Go for it, enjoy it and good luck

I would have to think very carefully before uprooting but then my kids are teenage and we have exams soon etc, also friendship groups are strong (and nice friends too), so it would have to be a lifestyle changing salary or equally strong incentive and even then I'd think twice because we have elderly relatives locally and it's easy to keep in touch and keep an eye, they are at an age where you want to be on hand.

With regards to your daughter though, you would of course worry like mad about her but with children, the younger they are, the easier they find a move. It sounds like an amazing opportunity for you which might not come along again ... do you have any family down south for support? x

Thanks for all the replies, I've got a bit of time to think about it and decided I wouldn't be moving until next year, going to weigh up all the options!
Blossom- yes it would be a lifestyle change in money terms an I do have distant family down south who if I did move I would have to get reacquainted with as I've not seen them since I was young, ill let you all know what I decided :)

My hubby in the forces too, we have our own home in Glasgow but hubby got posted to Wales 18mths ago and we decided to move as a family.
I was like you nervous as my eldest wad due to start School too, no need to worry as others have said kids adapt better than us, she will meet new friends join new clubs and be excited about starting school, what's the worst that can happen??

Go for it, enjoy it and good luck

Are you north Wales or south? Xoxo

Iim moving nxt year for a job but my kids sound older than yours. I think it's best moving while they are young, as soon as they are older, settled, making friends etc it's harder. She hasn't started school yet so moving now before she does maybe a good idea. Kids are fab at adapting I say go for it!!

Latest posts

Back