Yell.com & Google Add Words-are they worth it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherp

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have been trading in my home based salon since December last year and so far I'm really pleased with the progress of my salon. Not fully booked but steadily increasing each month. I paid for Yell.com advertising as I thought I'd need this being home based with no real passing trade.

Its come up for renewal and they want £75ish for the yell.com and another £42ish for the google ad words.

Just wanted to ask you guys if you think it is worth the dosh. I have a website, facebook, netmums gumtree etc. but don't pay for any other type of advertising.

Thanks peeps

H x

For what it's worth the only paid advertising I do is with yell.com and from the research I do it generates about 75% of all new business. I don't use the google adwords though, just the lightweight yell.com ad that gives you a link through to my website.

I'd be interested to now what others think of google adwords

Oh, I'm mobile btw so no 'shop front' for passing trade

Make sure you take advantage of all the "free" places you can advertise your business and website too, e.g. Google Local Business Center, http://www.google.co.uk/local/add

and the many "free listings" websites out there, e.g.

FreeIndex - The free UK business directory
Hot Frog - Your UK Business Directory
United Kingdom jobs, cars, property, free classifieds and more - Gumtree.com
Free business listing, free advertising - online UK business directory
London Reviews, London Top Restaurants, Pubs, Shopping, Nightlife, Services and More | Tipped
Scoot | Scoot Home - UK Business Finder
Free Business Directory UK | Advertise Free in UK
London Restaurants, Dentists, Pubs, Beauty Salons, Doctors
London Restaurants, Bars, Gigs, Hotels, Events & more
MoreUK.com
UKs Local Business Directory of Local & National Businesses - Ufindus
Smile Local
Party, Event and Wedding Planning - Plan Weddings, Parties, and Events online

Also (especially if using paid advertising), running some web analytics is a very good idea, e.g. Google Analytics, Google Analytics | Official Website - as this will give you metrics as to which form of advertising is giving you the most hits to your website. Likewise, if you have a contact form on your website, try adding a "where did you find us" field, so you will be able to track which form of advertising is bringing you in the most leads.

Generally, adding your website address to as many of the "free index" sites as possible will also work well for search engine optimisation (SEO) for your website too, as it will count as more incoming links to your site, which generally leads to a better placement on search engines.

Talking of SEO in general, please do be very wary of any company that cold-calls you out of the blue and purports to be from Google, as I have heard some horror stories about certain "cowboy" SEO companies who lie to people pretending to be Google and then lock them in to unfair contracts costing them hundreds of pounds a year yet adding little or no benefit to your site.

Thanks Ruth for the really good advice, I'm sure alot of people will appreciate this advice, I shall try putting my website on all of these sites as soon as my website is finished.:hug:

Many thanks Ruth

Will take all your good advice on board. You may be having a pm from me soon, I have a website but feel it needs to be more proffessional so may be wishing to hire your services shortly.

How long does it take to do a website Ruth or would you re-jiggle my existing one? was hoping I would be up and running for the xmas rush :)

Many thanks

Heather x

Latest posts

Back