Yellow French Tips !! Aarrghh

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hope someone can help with this, I have searched the site and come across a lot of helpful information but nothing seems to match my problem. I am very newly qualified and am still practising on willing guinea pigs.

On friday I finally went to do a regular spray tan clients nails for a small fee ( just to cover the cost of materials & time) She knows that she is my first "paying customer" and was quite happy to get her nails done at a lower price. I advertised to all my tan customers by text saying "one month only £xxx as an introductory offer"

Any way, I spent the morning practising on myself as she wanted a French Acrylic. I bought a brand new pack of french tips from Sally's the Salon Professional one . I did my own nails using ASP Acrylics but only did one nail using a natural tip with white acrylic as I was low on time. It came out lovely and white and all "french" LOL.
The rest of my nails I did using UV gel over natural tips. They came out fabulous. I used a clear overlay with a few little rhinestones on the smile line. They look like a really nice french tip but not super white of course, just a clean fresh white iykwim. At the client she decided that my nails looked so fab she wanted the same without the rhinestones but to use the french tips for a brighter white.
I was quite pleased as the monomer odour for acrylics worried me a little because her little girl was home ill from shool with a bad throat and I was concerned that she might not be able to put up with the smell.
All went well, prepped the nails did all the necessary, attached the tips, primed the nail beds and applied the gel to two nails to start, cured , re-applied, cured and added topcoat and cured.

WHites looked yellow. Did the thumb next with first coat and cured came out yellow. I had used the same gel on myself that morning, used a freshly prepared brush on the client ( I had used previous day) as I had left the other one home after cleaning. Procducts are still new, lamp is still new. Mine came out glossy white hers were nicotine yellow.

I dont think that it was overcuring as the thumb only went in once for 2 minutes and still yellowed. She did not have a tan so cant be any spray tan product, nails were clean and properly manicured and prepared by me ( I hope) Checked my brushes this morning for signs of contamination, no signs.
Any Ideas?
Greatly appreciated

PS I removed them all and am going next week to do them and I havent charged her as I feel really bad

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope someone can help with this, I have searched the site and come across a lot of helpful information but nothing seems to match my problem. I am very newly qualified and am still practising on willing guinea pigs. On friday I finally went to do a regular spray tan clients nails for a small fee ( just to cover the cost of materials & time) She knows that she is my first "paying customer" and was quite happy to get her nails done at a lower price. I advertised to all my tan customers by text saying "one month only £xxx as an introductory offer"
Any way, I spent the morning practising on myself as she wanted a French Acrylic. I bought a brand new pack of french tips from Sally's the Salon Professional one . I did my own nails using ASP Acrylics but only did one nail using a natural tip with white acrylic as I was low on time. It came out lovely and white and all "french" LOL. The rest of my nails I did using UV gel over natural tips. They came out fabulous. I used a clear overlay with a few little rhinestones on the smile line. They look like a really nice french tip but not super white of course, just a clean fresh white iykwim. At the client she decided that my nails looked so fab she wanted the same without the rhinestones but to use the french tips for a brighter white. I was quite pleased as the monomer odour for acrylics worried me a little because her little girl was home ill from shool with a bad throat and I was concerned that she might not be able to put up with the smell.
All went well, prepped the nails did all the necessary, attached the tips, primed the nail beds and applied the gel to two nails to start, cured , re-applied, cured and added topcoat and cured. WHites looked yellow. Did the thumb next with first coat and cured came out yellow. I had used the same gel on myself that morning, used a freshly prepared brush on the client ( I had used previous day) as I had left the other one home after cleaning. Procducts are still new, lamp is still new. Mine came out glossy white hers were nicotine yellow.
I dont think that it was overcuring as the thumb only went in once for 2 minutes and still yellowed. She did not have a tan so cant be any spray tan product, nails were clean and properly manicured and prepared by me ( I hope) Checked my brushes this morning for signs of contamination, no signs.
Any Ideas?
Greatly appreciated

PS I removed them all and am going next week to do them and I havent charged her as I feel really bad
Did you get any primer on the tips? Primer will yellow product. Was the brush contaminated with your cleaner?

Why did you remove them? You could have painted them and they would have looked lovely, then you could have removed them next week if she wanted and she could have enjoyed wearing them in the meantime!! Waste of both time and product to remove not to mention stressing out the nails.

No primer on tips, brush was clean and I removed them because I only took what I needed for Acrylic French with white tips. Wish I had taken the white gel or nail polish but another lesson learnt. Always go prepared for EVERYTHING. Her nails were fine I soaked them ages and all came off quite easily in the end. Put loads of nourishing oils and good hand soak and massage. And yes I do know it was a waste of time and product, I was there. LOL Was only hoping that one of you moe experienced Geeks would have any ideas

No primer on tips, brush was clean and I removed them because I only took what I needed for Acrylic French with white tips. Wish I had taken the white gel or nail polish but another lesson learnt. Always go prepared for EVERYTHING. Her nails were fine I soaked them ages and all came off quite easily in the end. Put loads of nourishing oils and good hand soak and massage. And yes I do know it was a waste of time and product, I was there. LOL Was only hoping that one of you moe experienced Geeks would have any ideas

There are only a few things that can possibly cause gel to yellow as you described it.

Either the gel is low quality and yellows ... But you have ruled that out as your nails are fine.

There is contamination present.

That's it ... You will have to think about the rest and how there came to be contamination.

Thanks Geeg,
I will try a fresh brush and see how it goes, will pop out to get one today . I hope its something quick to remedy. I think I will do a proper French this week for her, not white tips. That way it will hopefully be fabulous. If the kids are back at school I might do acrylic anyway and just play around with the gels at home until I am sure that yellowing is not an option any longer.
Regards
Nikki

Latest posts

Back