Yellow hair crisis-hair washing out toner after 1 wash

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaF

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me!

my hair is a natural level 6 - but with very warm tones. Two weeks ago I got a full head of blonde highlights which brought me to a nice neutral light blonde. HOwever, after i washed my hair it looked awful. Some highlights were white and some were orange, some were yellow. On saturday I got this redone by a great hairdresser and finally achieved that cool toned, icy blonde I'd originally been aiming for - I was so happy!

Last night I washed my hair and it seemed fine. This morning in the light of day it is back to yellow - with some very brassy tones!! As I have quite ruddy skin any hint of yellow in my hair makes me look like a tomato! It doesn't even really look like the pale yellow she'd bleached it up to in the salon before toning. I have to go to work in two hours so I currently have Iced Platinum Colour Restore on with my fingers crossed :/.

Can anyone please offer any advice of why my hair is washing the salon's toner out after just 1 wash?? The salon used wella products. I hadn't washed my hair for 4 days and I used Loreal colour sulphate free shampoo and a keratin conditioner.

Many thanks for you help x

You can purchase some silver shampoo and use this maybe once a week, toners do wash it not as quick as first wash but that may be down to the condition of your hair xx

I agree, if the toner is washing out that quickly it could be because you have damaged hair? I would use a purple shampoo (which really helps!) and get your hair in better condition x

Try a toner that isn't permanent, as colour molecules are smaller in semi permanent or quasi colour than permanent (bigger molecules) they should last longer in more porous or damaged hair as they would fall deeper into the hair structure becoming more permanent. ( I hope that makes sense) a toning mouse would be good too. Schwarzkopf do one a 91/2-1 mouse its fab, and yes silver shampoo and a treatment once a week, I also like to use a protein spray before styling to repair my own blonde hair.

Thanks for your help everyone! I can't understand why it would be very damaged as it was virgin level 6 and in very good condition prior to being lifted (hadn't been dyed for 4 years). It feels a bit dry on the top now after two bleaches, but other than that very soft. Any time i wash it i always deep condition with keratin conditioner and use heat protection spray for styling.

The keratin treatments have a yellow/brown tinge rather than being white - could that maybe affect anything?

I've now bought some touch of silver shampoo and I'll have a look into that schwartzkopf product! :)

cheers

Try a toner that isn't permanent, as colour molecules are smaller in semi permanent or quasi colour than permanent (bigger molecules) they should last longer in more porous or damaged hair as they would fall deeper into the hair structure becoming more permanent. ( I hope that makes sense) a toning mouse would be good too. Schwarzkopf do one a 91/2-1 mouse its fab, and yes silver shampoo and a treatment once a week, I also like to use a protein spray before styling to repair my own blonde hair.

Sorry, but that's wrong.

Semi colour molecules are large and sit on the outside of the cuticle layer.

Permanent colour molecules are tiny (to enable them to enter the cortex) and expand in size as they oxidise (caused by mixing with peroxide) so that they can't be washed out. If permanent colour doesn't last, it's because the cuticle layer is too damaged and the colour molecules are being washed out.

Also, some brands of semi-permanent colours such as crazy colour can stain hair shaft and so will often last longer than expected.

--------------------------------------------------------------

OP, definitely try using a salon quality purple shampoo. Try Fudge.

Sorry, but that's wrong.

Semi colour molecules are large and sit on the outside of the cuticle layer.

Permanent colour molecules are tiny (to enable them to enter the cortex) and expand in size as they oxidise (caused by mixing with peroxide) so that they can't be washed out. If permanent colour doesn't last, it's because the cuticle layer is too damaged and the colour molecules are being washed out.

Also, some brands of semi-permanent colours such as crazy colour can stain hair shaft and so will often last longer than expected.

--------------------------------------------------------------

OP, definitely try using a salon quality purple shampoo. Try Fudge.

Yes sorry, muddled that round the wrong way.

Latest posts

Back