Young Nails ManiQ & Polish mix

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im sorry you feel like that but if you re read posts you will see it was not me being rude and bitchy , not atall I think you are missing the point.

Geez, like I said, use what you want. I just put here what I know from experience. And again, as far as uncured gel goes, when I was testing Shellac, Harmony, Axxium and YN all of them at one time or another had a finger or two that left the gel lamps with uncured product. When there is color, whether or not its polish, pigment, or whatever the light sometimes doesnt get full penetration. It just happens. And guess what, some of those clients will leave our salons with it uncured. Is that our fault? Not neccessarily, but it can happen.

So what happens if you do have uncured gel on a client. Gel doesnt air dry, and its highly unlikely that clients have the appropriate lights to cure at home, so then it wipes off. Off the nail, off the skin, just off. So the risk of infection, allergies, or explosions as you say, then would be minimal. And if these reactions were the case, it then would be possible with any line of product out there.

no explosions here. wont happen. and since it is not a full gel product, and a mix of polish and gel, just like shellac, there is no heat spike. and since there is a full cure of the clear base gel, there is a barrier between the mani q color mix and the nail, so IF there were any uncured gel that would cause these, so called, infections there wouldnt be any contact with the nail. Also, if any of this gel goes uncured, due to older bulbs, angle of the fingers, or any other reason, it is noticed during the swiping step, then can be remedied to get a full cure.

as far as opinions go, you are right, we each have our own. and before anyones opinion got shot down, this one was shot down by no other than in your opinion " the BEST nail tech in the world." And if she has a lot to do with Shellac, then yes, she will obviously have a good opinion on it.

I have a lot to do with a LOT of different brands because I want to use the absolute best for our clients and our nail techs. I personally do an average of 16 clients a day and have 24 nail techs in 3 salons that do almost the same. So I am not here representing any brand, but here to help others become as busy as they want to be. The nail industry isnt as strong as it once was, but is on its way back due to Shellac, Maniq, Harmony, and Axxium. I have used all of these intensely and just one stood out in performance.

But we are here to learn. As professionals in this industry we are looking to find new ways to give our clients new and more options. There are many reputable brands of products out there and work better for some and not so well for others. I can only put what i know works on here to help other techs save time and make more money.

And FYI, mani q, when released by YN wasnt released with the intentions of being mixed. This technique was invented by people like us, nail techs.

Thanks Regal Nails!!!! I really appreciate you sharing your experience with all these other lines!... I agree, it's what this site is all about... each of us sharing our 'experience' with members on the site who are interested. :hug:

You list the OPI Axxium system among the ones you've tried... have you ever tried the 'polish mix' with the Axxium 'Soak off lacquer'?? (not sure what the 'process' would be with this brand... uhhhm... base coat then mix the 'polish' with more base coat??? then their soak off sealant?? ) I'm just wondering because I once used their 'no cleanse' sealant (from their 'regular' gel line) on top of the Axxium Soak off.... :cry:bad choice / colour change, and the soak off needs the proper sealant...as it's 'flexible'.. (regular is too 'brittle' and cracks also)...

Thanks again for your willingness to share what has 'worked' for you!! xo

Oh My Gosh!! I started the original thread as I was interested in using the ManiQ/Polish mix and needed a bit of advice and help and somehow it has all escalated into people taking sides and criticising other peoples' choice of products.

To those lovely geeks who provided genuine input, advice and information, I wholeheartedly thankyou. For those that just look for any reason to argue, I thought this really was supposed to be a place for help and advice not nastiness and bitchiness if you happen to side with other products/people!!

I hope this technique works for you. the step by step i provided should be enough. if you have any more questions let me know. I did 8 mani q/ polish mixes on clients today in between some of my acrylic clients, some that have had it on since late March. It lasts 3 weeks or so on them between visits. And like i said, just do a few and you will get faster. there is a lot of steps in the mixing but they are very fast steps. When you can get your hands on the YN mani base you can skip a few of the prep steps I mentioned in earlier posts.

I would also encourage you to try Shellac, Harmony, Axxium also, just so you can get a feel for them. In a few days or so you should be able to get the new Mani q colors also.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to help.

Thanks Regal Nails!!!! I really appreciate you sharing your experience with all these other lines!... I agree, it's what this site is all about... each of us sharing our 'experience' with members on the site who are interested. :hug:

You list the OPI Axxium system among the ones you've tried... have you ever tried the 'polish mix' with the Axxium 'Soak off lacquer'?? (not sure what the 'process' would be with this brand... uhhhm... base coat then mix the 'polish' with more base coat??? then their soak off sealant?? ) I'm just wondering because I once used their 'no cleanse' sealant (from their 'regular' gel line) on top of the Axxium Soak off.... :cry:bad choice / colour change, and the soak off needs the proper sealant...as it's 'flexible'.. (regular is too 'brittle' and cracks also)...

Thanks again for your willingness to share what has 'worked' for you!! xo

Good questions. I have tried it but with the soak off sealant. I like the consistency of the sealant by itself, and mixed with polish its really not bad to apply. We were getting an average of 8-9 days with this combo before the color started to chip. Compared to actual nail polish, this is a good result. However the YN line lasts from 2-3 weeks and had a client that went 5 weeks with no chips. haha, thats craziness! Shellac got results for us up to two weeks. Initially were were super impressed, but as the bottle of colors got used and down to about 2/3 to 1/2 full the product got thicker, which caused wrinkles during the curing process. The key to any of these brands is applying thin. Thin is IN! Its just hard to apply a thick product thin. Granted, it didnt happen on every nail or every client, but when you are busy and have to go back and sand or buff wrinkles out and reapply, it makes you run behind in your scheldule. Harmony had very similar results.

And you are right about the no cleanse sealant. It shouldnt be used on top of anything other than right on top of acrylic or gel. Using it on top of polish, gel polish, or airbrushing doesnt work. Chips and cracks very fast. But hey, its good you tried it. Its good to try things and get creative.

I was fortunate enough to try a couple of the mani q colors from the prelease in New York City. We used the couple bottles we had until we just couldnt get our brushes deep enough in the bottle to get any more out. The product stayed just as thin as when it was first opened. They say its a new technology where they dont have to use any polish at all in the product. So therefore, no evaporation. Makes sense though, thats why it stays thin.

We see over 3000 clients a month, so that is why we go thru so much testing of new products. to see which ones give the most choice to our clients, and most importantly gives the clients the most wear time. It get expensive to try all these things but it is worth it in the long run. So thats why I dont mind sharing all of this. Hopefully it will save some of you some time and money so you can start making money!

If mixing polish with gel was so fool proof, long lasting and safe, then why have the company decided to bring out a pre mixed coloured gel line?? Why bother if it is so easy to do it yourself??

I'm sure that cnd would not spend years researching and formulating shellac and be the only company to offer a hybrid product if it was as easy as you say regal. Would you not say?

I agree. Why would anyone release a soak off gel and advertise that it can be mixed? Money is the answer. This way all these companies can release individual colors and sell them each for more than the clear soak off alone. So it would be ignorant to sell a mix when you can sell the public a bunch of individual prepackaged products. YN has never advertised this i dont believe. But if a person wants to know how to do an effective mix they will try to help. Im not selling YN or anything like that. Just sharing what works for me and my employees and clients.

Then for YN's new premix, it is not a hybrid. Its some new technology. From what i understand there is no polish involved.

Thanks for your question.:green:

regal, you say
"I have used all of these intensely and just one stood out in performance".

Which one stood out & why?

Also if it is as easy as mixing polish & gel as you say what would be the need for nail techs....anyone can do it themselves?
Apart from being able to warn clients that they could make themselves permanently allergic to the products & therefore never be able to have nice nails again.

If it's so wonderful and easy just to add any old polish to gel, then why have Young Nails Mani-Q invested in a coloured gel line?

all good questions! I think I answered most of them in the previous few posts. But ok, even with the mix you will always need a nail tech. Just like with Shellac, Axxium, and harmony you need a nail tech. You need the tech for proper prep, application, and lamps for the cure. Its highly unlikely that an individual client would go buy a gel lamp for 200+ dollars. And even if somebody tried to do it at home themselves I would love to see it. hahaha

And I think all these brands know its possible to mix. But why advertise that? None of them do advertise it. None! Because there is more money to be made selling the colors premixed in individual containers. So thats my guess. I dont really make decisions for any brand of nail product, just for my own nail salons. I have tried a lot of things. Some work some dont. some better than others.

Thanks everyone! Hope this helps. Its all I know and its for free. haha

Have fun with the business. Its fun. And I hope you all love your job behind the nail station as much as i do!

I hope this technique works for you. the step by step i provided should be enough. if you have any more questions let me know. I did 8 mani q/ polish mixes on clients today in between some of my acrylic clients, some that have had it on since late March. It lasts 3 weeks or so on them between visits. And like i said, just do a few and you will get faster. there is a lot of steps in the mixing but they are very fast steps. When you can get your hands on the YN mani base you can skip a few of the prep steps I mentioned in earlier posts.

I would also encourage you to try Shellac, Harmony, Axxium also, just so you can get a feel for them. In a few days or so you should be able to get the new Mani q colors also.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to help.

Wow you are a fountain of knowledge:hug: Your input on this thread has been exceptional and I am in awe of your expertise/experience and sheer numbers of clients you get through a month!!!
My semi-successful ManiQ Mix (colour was lighter than in the bottle) is going to be soaked off my daughters nails today and I just need to ask if it's ok to add a couple of drops of almond oil to the acetone whilst soaking off? She will be having another set put on immediately after removal so I wasn't sure if that would make her nails too oily for a 2nd set?.........

I'm also scheduled to go on a free ManiQ colour workshop (can't imagine any other company offering free workshops/training if you haven't previously trained with them) so I hope to have a long, happy, profitable relationship with YN

Thankyou again for all your help, it is soooo appreciated
Happy New Year xxxxxxxxxxxxx

CND do this ( have done this for long time) shellac was launched they dine free shellac attack classes same with minx,,, and may I add there education is also great value you buy your kit and get your education with it.

They have always done this.

Wow you are a fountain of knowledge:hug: Your input on this thread has been exceptional and I am in awe of your expertise/experience and sheer numbers of clients you get through a month!!!
My semi-successful ManiQ Mix (colour was lighter than in the bottle) is going to be soaked off my daughters nails today and I just need to ask if it's ok to add a couple of drops of almond oil to the acetone whilst soaking off? She will be having another set put on immediately after removal so I wasn't sure if that would make her nails too oily for a 2nd set?.........

I'm also scheduled to go on a free ManiQ colour workshop (can't imagine any other company offering free workshops/training if you haven't previously trained with them) so I hope to have a long, happy, profitable relationship with YN

Thankyou again for all your help, it is soooo appreciated
Happy New Year xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anytime! If you have any questions, PM me if you want. I dont mind. i honestly do not think adding the oil ill make much difference. now after the soak off and application I would use some cuticle oil and have her rub it in real good. but I dont like clients to have any lotion, or any oils of that type on their hands before application. If you have ever noticed pits, or pooling, of the gel after application, its from the oils. gel is very sensitive to any oils.

sorry i couldnt get back to you sooner. but i hope it still helps! I am going to be working on putting together some step by steps on video. I will keep you posted.

You have a happy new year also. :green:

Hi, Do you use the seperate basecoat and topcoat with the premixed colours or just the normal ManiQ gel??

Thanks xxxxx

Hi, I use the base and top with their pre-mixed colours and I stick to the routine with custom mixing, mani-q gel as a base and I also cap it with the mani-q gel, however I haven't tried using the mani-q gel with the pre-mixed colours yet. The pre-mixed top coat is very shiny compared to the original mani-q gel so I may start to cap my custom mixed polish with it.
HTH xx

Hi, I use the base and top with their pre-mixed colours and I stick to the routine with custom mixing, mani-q gel as a base and I also cap it with the mani-q gel, however I haven't tried using the mani-q gel with the pre-mixed colours yet. The pre-mixed top coat is very shiny compared to the original mani-q gel so I may start to cap my custom mixed polish with it.
HTH xx

Same here. I use their new base and top now that comes with their premixed colors also for the custom mix. With this new base coat, you can eliminate a few steps i mentioned way earlier in this thread. Now all you do is:

1. prep nails by lightly buffing the nails to remove the shine then apply protein bond to the free edge.

2. apply thin layer of base. cure.

3. mix polish and mani q.

4. apply mix right to top of base. cure

5. topcoat. cure

6. swipe sticky layer

7. take clients money:green:

Oh yes i love the new ManiQ top coat, its shine is beyond belief and lasts!!

xxx

The mani q gel can be used as both the base and top. However, the new mani q topcoat is formulated to be extremely shiny and dries very hard, while sometimes the mani q gel can feel a little rubbery. So, yes, it can be used as both, but I would try the actual topcoat, you will definitely be impressed.
assuming then it woud be possible to use the maniq new top coat on orgianal gel?

Q. Hybrid is a combination of 2 or more companants, according to internet , gel polish is gel and polish , 2 companants? whats the diffrence?

assuming then it woud be possible to use the maniq new top coat on orgianal gel?

you can use the mani q top coat on top of any enhancement. leave the surface of the enhancement slightly rough before application.

And yes, your hybrid comment is correct. that is the point i was trying to make. :green:

This was a tutorial done by the talented Gigi. Great when products can back up their claims with scientific evidence not just random posts saying mix with polish and it becomes a hybrid. I think not do you???

Shellac science is very cool …………….. To understand it, is to know how to use it
Have you wondered WHY the technology behind Shellac is a true industry breakthrough; just what is that makes Shellac a new category of nail colour?
Published by geeg
28-05-10
Shellac science is very cool …………….. To understand it, is to know how to use it
SHELLAC SCIENCE IS VERY COOL ……………..

TO UNDERSTAND IT, IS TO KNOW HOW TO USE IT RIGHT

Better science makes better products.
Shellac goes On like polish, Wears like gel and Removes in minutes!
Shellac is hypoallergenic and 3-FREE containing no Formaldehyde, Toluene or DBP.

Have you wondered WHY the technology behind Shellac is a true industry breakthrough; just what is it about Shellac that makes it a new category of nail colour, completely new science, and in a league of it own?

The formulation of solvents, monomers and polymers is what has resulted in a true industry breakthrough. Remember those things, solvents, monomers and polymers because these things are what make Shellac a true HYBRID product and understanding these things is the absolute key to how Shellac works.

Shellac stands miles apart from others in the market with the science and testing to back it up. Nail professionals who participated in controlled BLIND testing in the field said unanimously, there’s no comparison … not even close. Shellac was tested for 5 years before going to market … you can completely trust its performance.

Let me help empower YOU the nail professional with the following support information about how and why Shellac works.

SHELLAC TECHNOLOGY

Shellac is the first ever true “Hybrid” UV nail colour. “Hybrid” means a combination and in this case specifically, a combination of gel technology, polish technology and NEW technology developed especially for Shellac. Remember those 3 words again? …..

Shellac goes on like a polish because of the solvent blend in the formula that contributes to the viscosity and the flow. Like polish, when the solvents evaporate off after application, a film is formed on the natural nail. This film reaches full cure with exposure to UV light, using the CND UV Lamp (or Brisa Lamp). Shellac forms ionic chemical bonds to the natural nail for firm adhesion during wear. Different to nail polish, Shellac has the ability to self level, making it even easier to apply than many polishes and gives it “ridge filling” properties that add to a mirror-like smooth finish.

Shellac colours (particularly the heavy pigmented colours) are very sensitive to proper cure. Be sure each THIN layer cures for a full 2 minutes.

Each Shellac colour coat shade is uniquely formulated, allowing proper cure. If colours are mixed, the precise ratio of reactants will be ‘skewed’ and optimal cure may not be achieved. Protect your shellac colours from light and air and always keep the lids tight.

Shellac wears like gel because of the monomers and oligomers in the formula that contribute to the toughness, protection and completion of its cure.

The formulas are based on IPN (Interpenetrating Polymer Network) and cross-linked technology for beautiful protection and toughness. The polymer also encases the pigment for streak-free, even colour and coverage. Once each layer is completely cured in the CND UV Lamp, Shellac is completely dry with no further dry time required.

Shellac comes off in minutes because of the unique polymers in the formula that contribute to the quick release from the surface of the nail. When it comes time to remove shellac, the polymers help release the coating in a tidy, efficient and safe way.

HOW SHELLAC RELEASES FROM THE NAIL

After Shellac is applied, the solvents begin to evaporate out of the polymer, which continues during the UV cure process. As the solvents evaporate out, they form tiny tunnels throughout the coating from the base layer all the way to the surface of the nail (imagine a Swiss cheese or a Crunchie bar) In between these tunnels small sheets of polymer are formed that resemble the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle and bond securely to the natural nail.

Shellac is removed by exposing it to Acetone for 10 minutes. The Acetone penetrates down and around the perimeter as well as through the tiny tunnels of the coating to begin to break it down from the inside as well as the edges. Finally it penetrates down to the base layer where the Acetone breaks down the “quick release” polymers allowing shellac to be removed from the natural nail. The 10 minute removal time is the “travel time” for the Acetone to penetrate all the way through the coating down to the base layer.

D-Solve will lead to the fastest release of Shellac from the natural nail. If you use CND L&P remover it can take up to twice as long as the percentage of Acetone in the product remover is less than that in D-Solve. D-Solve is the most effective remover for Shellac.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Shellac must be used in a complete system. Each fully cured layer in the process contributes to the system’s cumulative success.

Now that you are armed with the knowledge behind Shellac you will be able to understand WHY, if you use more than the stated number of coats of Shellac it will take longer to remove it.

Why, if you use the product too thickly it will not be as tough or flexible and will also take longer to remove it.

Why, if you push the wear time to longer than 2 weeks you can no longer guarantee that Shellac will perform as promised.

Why if you try to infill Shellac it will no longer perform as promised and it will take much longer to remove it.

Why if your client puts polish over Shellac and then removes it, the remover will start to penetrate and break down Shellac.

Why you must always use the Shellac Base Coat over the entire nail right to the side walls or the colour coats will not stick to the nail.

Why you must always use the Shellac Top Coat and never leave out any part out of the system.

Why if the natural nail is saturated with Acetone after removal your Shellac Base Coat will break down and will peel off.

Why Shellac should not be used like a gel.

Why it is not necessary to use Shellac over enhanced nails.

Why you should use the system the way CND instruct you to use it and not go playing with the chemistry.

Why you should only ever ‘layer’ and never ‘mix’ Shellac colours.

Is this a Shellac vs Mani.Q war?
Cos its seeming this way
If you dont want to use Shellac, DONT USE SHELLAC
If you dont want to use Mani.Q, DONT USE MANI.Q

If you really have that many concerns and dont want to take Regals advise, ring Young Nails head office and chat to them about it, but I assure you, Young Nails would not advise people to do something that wasnt safe.

Mani.Q polish mix works because you keep the layers thin ensuring a complete cure, Explosions??? shhh Nobody would reccomend you to do something that would cause explosions.

If your really that bothered, Use Mani.Q Colour- pre mixed gel colour - Yes ok Young Nails wernt the first to bring out this type of product but hell they have been working on it a lot longer than you think. Its an amazing product and I have to say Nothing Compartes in my eyes.

But again this is my Personal Opinion

Shellac is a great product and yes they worked hard on it and if you love it stick with it.

Everyone has a preference and I know mine and I would NEVER turn back

Im sure you all feel the same

xxx

Lol,The power of Freedom of Speech eh?!......Makes life interesting I suppose..kx

Is this a Shellac vs Mani.Q war?
Cos its seeming this way
If you dont want to use Shellac, DONT USE SHELLAC
If you dont want to use Mani.Q, DONT USE MANI.Q

If you really have that many concerns and dont want to take Regals advise, ring Young Nails head office and chat to them about it, but I assure you, Young Nails would not advise people to do something that wasnt safe.

Mani.Q polish mix works because you keep the layers thin ensuring a complete cure, Explosions??? shhh Nobody would reccomend you to do something that would cause explosions.

If your really that bothered, Use Mani.Q Colour- pre mixed gel colour - Yes ok Young Nails wernt the first to bring out this type of product but hell they have been working on it a lot longer than you think. Its an amazing product and I
have to say Nothing Compartes in my eyes.

But again this is my Personal Opinion

Shellac is a great product and yes they worked hard on it and if you love it stick with it.

Everyone has a preference and I know mine and I would NEVER turn back

Im sure you all feel the same

xxx

Nope not a war as you put it. Just pointing out that shellac is more than a coloured gel and proving the science behind claims of hybrid. Please feel free to do the same about maniq. I have no need to ring YN as I know myself the answers and have no inclination whatso ever.

I find it intresting how when one is just posting facts and correcting mis- info you seem to think it's trying to prove something ? When infact just supplying people with the correct info.

You love your brand for whatever reasons they may be , that's good. Xxxx

Latest posts

Back