Your advice on problem with nails is appreciated :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Jo

Creative Geek :)
Reaction score
I have been having a problem with one particular client's nails ... she has lovely long nail beds and i thought "oooh a doddle how fab to get lovely nails for a change" eeks not!! they are beautiful and slim at the cuticle but are wide at the free edge so if i followed the free edge straight out from the sidewalls they looked sooooo wide like big shovels (even if i tried pinching). I have tried twice and not been happy ... what should i do? i sculpt normally. Would it make a difference if i tipped - and what kind of tips - i have creative and ezflow ones - I dont do tips normally so any help would be appreciated. The young lady in question has agreed to model for me so that I can practice and get it right and i would love to get her nails looking like i envisaged :)

Your advice is really appreciated :)
Thanks peeps :hug: xxxx

Joey said:
I have been having a problem with one particular client's nails ... she has lovely long nail beds and i thought "oooh a doddle how fab to get lovely nails for a change" eeks not!! they are beautiful and slim at the cuticle but are wide at the free edge so if i followed the free edge straight out from the sidewalls they looked sooooo wide like big shovels (even if i tried pinching). I have tried twice and not been happy ... what should i do? i sculpt normally. Would it make a difference if i tipped - and what kind of tips - i have creative and ezflow ones - I dont do tips normally so any help would be appreciated. The young lady in question has agreed to model for me so that I can practice and get it right and i would love to get her nails looking like i envisaged :)

Your advice is really appreciated :)
Thanks peeps :hug: xxxx

Hi there Joey just thought I would bump this up for you....

I may beable to help as what you're describing is fan shaped nails which is the shape of my own. The best way to deal with these type of nails is firstly not to have them too long as the longer the are the more exaggerated the the width gets. Secondly taper the side walls in slightly and keep them rounded instead of square. (almond shape also looks good) I personally don't feel it makes a difference whether you tip or sculpt so long as you've got your shape right.

General advice is that the free edge should always be nor more than half the length of the nail bed, and even less than that if you're doing a permanent french. This is vital for fan shaped nails as the bling bling white can really emphasise the width at the free edge.

Any more assistance you need give us a shout.

awwwww thanks Tamm for replying :hug:

The problem is the young lady loves square nails ... I guess I shall try and reeducate her lol into having rounded.

She is coming back so that I can do them again ... I was going to try adn tip them but maybe I shall have another go at sculpting and really try much harder with them. I dont know why I found them so hard? :| and am really disappointed with myself - but I will keep trying :)

thanks again xx

Joey said:
awwwww thanks Tamm for replying :hug:

The problem is the young lady loves square nails ... I guess I shall try and reeducate her lol into having rounded.

She is coming back so that I can do them again ... I was going to try adn tip them but maybe I shall have another go at sculpting and really try much harder with them. I dont know why I found them so hard? :| and am really disappointed with myself - but I will keep trying :)

thanks again xx

No probs Joey :D couple of things you could try: either wear almond shape nails yourself to show her how elegant they make your hands look or do one nail on her to see how she what she thinks. Failing that try starting off with a more squoval shape but taper the sides in first before rounding the corners off and try them a little shorter than she normally would wear them.

I understand your frustration, it seems that a great deal of people who want enhancements are those who have difficult nails and they don't always look the best even though we've done a good job... I know mine never look half as decent as someone like glawsclaws' nails as she has lovely long beds when mine are short and stumpy. But there you go so long as my nails look smart and tidy thats the main thing and thats all most people expect.

With fan nails make sure you keep the side wall line really straight, line the abrasive up down the finger, not the lateral wall as this is already heading in the wrong direction. Pull you abrasive down the length of the finger straight towards you.

Latest posts

Back