Your own business place!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Nailz

Reaction score
At what age did you open your own Salon, Garden Cabin or have a room at home to use as your salon?

I am 39 Sept...and I really want my own place. I can't afford to rent, I haven't a spare room in our house, and my garden isn't quite big enough. Can't find a cabin the size I need it. I am a little worried and upset I will get too old to start with my own place. Being mobile or working in my kitchen forever! :(

30 room in the house ,how can you be too old :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

30 room in the house ,how can you be too old :-D

Because I have no extra room, and we can't move.

The garden is small, and can't fit a cabin...I measured today, so that dream has gone.

And renting a room is costly.
My clock is ticking lol

42 and just converted a room.
If you have the desire and drive age shouldn't even come into it.

Vicki x

I did see a log cabin that may fit. But hubby says it is no good, because they don't come with insulation, and you need an expensive one, otherwise they are rubbish for using as a Salon!

How small is your garden? Is it possible for a small cabin/ summerhouse? My cabin I have order is 8x8 (inside floor space around 8.7x8.6 outside! Would one this size not fit? I looked at rooms to rent in hairdressers etc and the biggest room I saw wa 7x7 and the small one I saw I think was4.4 x 6 and they still wanted 100pw rent :lol: my garden is quite small hence the smaller cabin! And as I'm only 23 with a toddler I am doing it on a budget and so far have spent £600 with £400 left for my desk etc. I don't think your ever too old to do anything! One of my sis friends mum is 53 and doing her last year of uni to become a nurse so she will be going into nursing at age 54! She said she always wanted to do it it and is now going for it!

I did see a log cabin that may fit. But hubby says it is no good, because they don't come with insulation, and you need an expensive one, otherwise they are rubbish for using as a Salon!

Cabins don't usually come with insulation fitted its if you get them erected by the professionals it's an add on! What you need is at least 16mm thick tongue and groove cabin. And one that has a guarantee of 10 years. I'm insulating mine myself but only the roof and floor as that's where heat escapes and my walls are19 mm thick. Check out duster house, solid cabins and super value for money! Is your husband handy enough to erect the cabin for you coz that will save a ton of money! I'm lucky that I live next door to a builder who's a good friend who will erect mine for me!

The hubby keeps telling me the summer houses, and log cabins are no good. It will cost around 3 grand for a decent one with double windows and insulation or double thick walls. I am not sure if he is trying to get out of having one in the garden or not!

This is the one he says for me, and it fits well in the corner :) but alot of saving....probs get it when i'm 60 hahahhaa

Last edited by a moderator:
The hubby keeps telling me the summer houses, and log cabins are no good. It will cost around 3 grand for a decent one with double windows and insulation or double thick walls. I am not sure if he is trying to get out of having one in the garden or not!

Hmmmm! A roll of insulation is about £40 from b&q which you can easily do yourself! My cabin is double glazed windows and thick tongue and groove walls with a ten year guarantee and when I asked the company if in 5years time it began to rot they said they would asses and replace if damage wasn't caused by my negligence of treating it etc so I got a really good deal! I plan to one day get a larger and more expensive cabin but for the mean time starting off small so I can earn the money to pay for a larger one! I don't know what to suggest to get your husband on board with your plan?:(

Hmmmm! A roll of insulation is about £40 from b&q which you can easily do yourself! My cabin is double glazed windows and thick tongue and groove walls with a ten year guarantee and when I asked the company if in 5years time it began to rot they said they would asses and replace if damage wasn't caused by my negligence of treating it etc so I got a really good deal! I plan to one day get a larger and more expensive cabin but for the mean time starting off small so I can earn the money to pay for a larger one! I don't know what to suggest to get your husband on board with your plan?:(

I think secretly, he isn't keen. He hasn't given me any other reason to think otherwise. But well, not much I can do, but just see what happens :) Thanks for your help though. Your Cabin sounds great. Don't forget to show piccys

I opened my salon at the age of 18. You can never be too young or old x

Oooh he has good taste though - that one is very pretty.

TBH rather than paying out hundreds to thousands on a summer house/cabin wouldnt it make more sense to rent a room for a short while? Depending on your area it may not cost as much a you think and one would hope with some good advertising you would make more than enough to cover the rent and some wages after a month or so if you already have the equiptment you need :)

I was 21 with my own shop :D it will be 2 years old 24th of this month. any age is perfect! Go for it you will love it :) xxx

But did you guys get help with your business by your parents?

Im sure your hubby means well but I would take the advice of the others on here who are already working in there cabins etc as to what you may need size/insulation wise as they are speaking from experience of working in them. If you are confident it would increase your business could you get it on an interest free credit card which would give you a year or so to pay back? If its your dream keep pushing and don't give up. Good luck. :hug:

I opened my small hair salon this year, aged 41! Best thing I ever did - keep looking - I found my room on gumtree, it's small but perfect for me, I pay rent and no bills so easy to earn that! Follow your dream just be patient and the right thing will find you! Good luck! :)

No help im a really good saver ,but if you need help then take it ,i think your hubby is not keen but he will have to remember it will benefit him to because you will be happy and probably make more money long term ,go for it get a cheapish cabin and a good joiner/builder to fix it up and you are sorted no more rent :-D

I started at 19 in the print business. Had my own printers since 20.
No age too young or old. No financial support anywhere - started with a £200 budget now have in excess of £20k worth of machinery as well as a shop on the main road from London to Southend, Essex :)

Anything can be achieved when you put your mind to it. Your husband will come round promise.

I've worked from the age of 14 and always been wise with my money. Therefore I had saved up in excess of £6000 to open up my salon x

Latest posts

Back