You're too old for that

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Conversations with my lovely mum (82) show up lots of generational differences, for example I know she thinks that:

Women over 30 or so shouldn't wear skirts above the knee

over 40 should cut hair short

over 55 shouldn't wear 3/4 length trousers

over about 60 need to "tone down" what they wear and not wear anything too bright or sparkly

lol

I am NOT in agreement! I think, wear what you like and good luck to you! Age is just a number and the only thing that dictates what you wear should be how you feel about it yourself.

Are there any other aged beliefs out there that you come across and do you think any of them are right?

It is so strange how times change! You only have to watch downton abbey to see that. I think if you look good who cares, look at Christie Brinkley xx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 249
Well there are some that I agree with. I don't think you should wear red lipstick if you're over a certain age. Some make up disasters are frequently seen on my high street by the fur coated and diamond encrusted over 80's. They're certainly not the beige brigade but more the mutton dressed as lamb club. When you're over eighty you cannot:

Wear 6 inch heels
Skirts above the knee
Black eye liner under your eyes
A beehive
A plunging neckline

Unless you're Joan Collins. Otherwise everyone is going to stare at you.

I see these atrocities nearly every day. Really quite scary.

It is so strange how times change! You only have to watch downton abbey to see that. I think if you look good who cares, look at Christie Brinkley xx

She can't possibly be human.

Oooo, it's just like looking in the mirror, NOT :lol:

My brain says as long as you're comfortable and confident in yourself you should be able to wear whatever the heck you please. However my eyes quite often disagree with my brain! Seriously some people must look in the mirror and see something quite different to what everyone else does. Still, whatever floats your boat, wouldn't do for us all to be the same and all that malarkey.

Wow! I don't know who Christie Brinkley is but she looks unbelievable for 60!

Well there are some thawearagree with. I don't think you should wear red lipstick if you're over a certain age. Some make up disasters are frequently seen on my high street by the fur coated and diamond encrusted over 80's. They're certainly not the beige brigade but more the mutton dressed as lamb club. When you're over eighty you cannot:

Wear 6 inch heels
Skirts above the knee
Black eye liner under your eyes
A beehive
A plunging neckline

Unless you're Joan Collins. Otherwise everyone is going to stare at you.

I see these atrocities nearly every day. Really quite scary.

why shouldn't they??????:lick:

if I make it to 80 I'd like to think I'm entitled the to wear whatever the hell I like, if I'm agile enough to still wear heels then I damn well will!! And if my pension, or whatever, allows me to encrust myself in diamonds I'm going to do that too, and if young women turn their nose up at me and think badly of me then so be it, who are they to judge me?!

You are only too old when you are dead!!

And even then I will go into my coffin wearing whatever I please.

x

Cher was on graham Norton a few weeks ago in a tartan mini skirt ......fair play to her....if I had legs like she has at 72 I'd bloody well wear one too.

i can't walk in 6 inch heels now:(

Cher was on graham Norton a few weeks ago in a tartan mini skirt ......fair play to her....if I had legs like she has at 72 I'd bloody well wear one too.

Too right, you get young ladies dressed In tight mini dresses who really should not be so I think age dose not come into it!
If you look good go for it 😉💋x

i can't walk in 6 inch heels now:(

I have never been able to walk in 6in heels! I wore 5inch on new year and had to shuffle not walk and that was only in to the restaurant and out 😳xx

I don't think its getting old but more changing to make the most of your age.For example Madonna is in danger of becoming a bit of a laughing stock now trying to stay young,still trying to shock when she really doesn't need to,swearing and still showing off her lady bits.Just no need for it.

Agreed, Madonna is definitely cringey.

I don't think its getting old but more changing to make the most of your age.For example Madonna is in danger of becoming a bit of a laughing stock now trying to stay young,still trying to shock when she really doesn't need to,swearing and still showing off her lady bits.Just no need for it.

She's starting to morph into a parody of herself .

Thing that makes me laugh more then clothes is hairstyles.
Women who are clearly very old with deep brown hair (avec grey parting) or worse still - bad styles. A woman in her 40's at work with those braids and beads you get done at the beach lol.
Dorian from Birds of a Feather is not a good look but neither is Cher or even Camilla (who dresses worse than the queen). There's no substitute for style and class.

why shouldn't they??????:lick:

if I make it to 80 I'd like to think I'm entitled the to wear whatever the hell I like, if I'm agile enough to still wear heels then I damn well will!! And if my pension, or whatever, allows me to encrust myself in diamonds I'm going to do that too, and if young women turn their nose up at me and think badly of me then so be it, who are they to judge me?!

Thanks for calling me a young woman! :p

I just remembered. There's a mum at school who does drop off in her denim mini skirt. "So what?" You say. Well I'm sorry but she looks about 45 and you'd put her in the same box as Cherie Blair, if you know what I mean. Conservative, short dark hair, lawyery type. It just looks really strange! I can never stop staring.

Well, I have it the other way with Mum and Mother-in-law! They are a hilarious pair. I'm sure some of you will have read about them already. When we eventually get them shopping together, mum will hold up a skimpy skirt or top and MIL will say "mind your husband's girls! If they see me in this, you lot won't stand a chance!" Mum is full of devilment. She will say things like "Oh, wouldn't mind getting a nice pair of black stockings for under my dressing gown!" We can't forget the leopard print onsie that she wanted to get for dad. We had to say NO! All we could visualise where the carers coming and dad opening the door in this onsie. He would have looked like Fred Flintstone:D! Also, there's MIL who likes to go braless :eek:, but knows not to wear a white tea shirt, as in her words "you never know who would be looking!" Exhausting as they both are in their 80's, there is always a good laugh when we get them together! I honestly think, if the pair of them were fully able, god knows what they would wear, if only for a laugh!!

Latest posts

Back