Clients not turning up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippersroo

Reaction score
Hi
I've looked at some previous threads on this topic just wondered if anyone has new ideas of what to say to clients that do this also I need to rant!
I had a client booked at 11am today. She is a regular and usually turns up to appointments, however now she's not here and I've heard nothing. I've messaged her offering one other slot that I've got today. If she doesn't take it that's £25 I've lost!
I'm not sure what to do about a cancellation fee, I do have on my price list that a cancellation charge of 50% applies within 24hours so she should know this.

I can't remember if she has done this before but I usually let someone off the first time! My problem is this is my job and I am obviously relying on money which is people booking so I get an income.
Should I charge her the cancellation or see what her reason is first? I know she has some health problems and while this is very horrible for her I don't want to sound mean but I was counting on the money, I'm still building up in a new premises and every little helps!
Am I being cruel to charge her? It's really annoyed me as she only booked last week. I know things happen last minute and some situations can't be helped and if something bad had happened the beauty appointment would be the last thing on your mind!
I also have a new client in later that booked over a month ago, I've messaged her to remind her also but had no reply. If she doesn't turn up that's another £40 off today's takings! I'm in despair! [emoji30] X

It's swings and roundabouts when you're new/building up. As your first client is normally solid at turning up to appointments I'd be reluctant at charging her the fee.

Business is business and I fully understand that but you sort of have to deal with it a little bit when starting out. If something work related come up and I couldn't make my massage appointment or hair cut and I'm a regular, I wouldn't expect special treatment per say but I'd be pretty pissed at being charged 50% and probably wouldn't go back based on principle.

As she's a regular, I think you need to cool your jets on this one until you actually hear from her.

Of course you need to hear what her reason is first. If you message her with a cancellation fee then find out later she was rushed into hospital or was involved in an accident or something it's going to reflect pretty badly on you and your business.

If she is a regular and generally reliable then I wouldn't charge her a fee.
Wait and see what her response is first. It might be something very genuine.
I always make a note on the client card about the missed appt so I can track any repeat offenders. I write down the details of the appt, what I did & the response received from client (if any).
Keep the good rapport you have already built up with this client and she will keep coming back - worth far more in the long run.

Thanks for all your replies.
I have calmed down now! I've spoken to her hairdresser who is my best friend and she said the two of them were talking about her appointment with me just yesterday, so maybe something sudden has come up.
Regardless of what has happened today is there something you all think I could put out to customers on a fb post/text or something so they are aware of missed appointment charges.
I know this can be a problem in this industry as it seems people think we do this as a hobby sometimes!
I had a client who did cancel last minute a couple of weeks ago and on her text she said she would pay me if I couldn't fill the gap. But when she came for her appointment last week she didn't mention it and it's tough to bring it up to a client without sounding like a pig basically!
I don't want to start booking people in and having to tell them there's a cancellation fee incase they're not going to turn up!
The whole subject is quite awkward to talk about with clients. X

When you speak to your client you could say normally there is a charge for missed appointments of £££ but on this occasion I will waive it due to the circumstances but in future I will require 24 hours notice to enable me to offer the slot to someone else. I agree it's the worst thing in our business and it takes seconds to call and cancel but you don't want to alienate a regular if there were good reasons.

I find clients who book via Facebook are rubbish I closed my fb booking site down due to no shows. Only deal with calls now and if they don't show up I simply don't book them again as my waiting list is 2 weeks so usually clients never cancel. ...

Do you have a card machine? We take a booking fee (10%) on appointments as we had so many people just not bother to come.

Generally people have no problem paying it. If they do, they're probably going to be a no show anyway.

We had one lady recently call last min and cancel a 100 euro appointment, and we didn't have a booking fee taken as it was a repeat appointment. We put her down as a no show, she called a week later to book back in and I remembered her name. Told her I'd need a 20 % booking fee, she argued and argued and argued and said she never had to pay it last time, she didn't like giving her card details on the phone, etc.
I told her I'd hold the booking for 24 hours and she could drop cash in to secure the appointment. She never bothered. So the day of her appointment, we cancelled it, allocated her time to someone else and she showed up. Went ballistic. Said she was never told she HAD to pay it. That she didn't think we'd actually cancel the appointment. She made another appointment right then and this time there was no messing out of her, arguing about having to pay. She paid and showed up on time.

Do you have a card machine? We take a booking fee (10%) on appointments as we had so many people just not bother to come.

Generally people have no problem paying it. If they do, they're probably going to be a no show anyway.

We had one lady recently call last min and cancel a 100 euro appointment, and we didn't have a booking fee taken as it was a repeat appointment. We put her down as a no show, she called a week later to book back in and I remembered her name. Told her I'd need a 20 % booking fee, she argued and argued and argued and said she never had to pay it last time, she didn't like giving her card details on the phone, etc.
I told her I'd hold the booking for 24 hours and she could drop cash in to secure the appointment. She never bothered. So the day of her appointment, we cancelled it, allocated her time to someone else and she showed up. Went ballistic. Said she was never told she HAD to pay it. That she didn't think we'd actually cancel the appointment. She made another appointment right then and this time there was no messing out of her, arguing about having to pay. She paid and showed up on time.

well done, I'm firm with people who don't show up or don't give enough notice just don't bother booking them in again and keep a list of their names... im past getting worked up about it.. have enough great customers who play ball so not worth wasting energy on people like that...

Thanks ladies; it's a tough one that's for sure!
My cancellation Client turned up today on time and I said are you feeling better today? And she said " yes I am and I'm sorry i didn't turn up yesterday, I wasn't well enough but even if I had of been I forgot anyway!!!"
I'm speechless. When she rebooked she asked if she owed me anything, I said no that's ok as your were unwell I understand. I did want to add that there usually would be a fee but I just thought it would sound awful.
Hopefully she will continue to stick to appointments usually. I'll always let someone off first time or for illness etc, it's just this woman has health problems continuously, if she fails to turn up every time she feels unwell surely I can't penalise that when she actually has a lifelong illness?!
X

Her life long illness doesn't pay your wages or rent, sadly.

My booking system sends emails and texts 24hours before and an email to confirm there coming if they book online! Not had as many no shows thanks to that! I now also have a "no show" button . My hairdressers texts me 2 days before my appointment with the time and date and says reply yes if coming. If I don't reply yes by the next day they phone or remove! Maybe makeup a text worded similar and send out to all your clients. It happens to everyone [emoji4] xx

I really hate this. Its the worst thing about running your own business in my opinion. I had around £300 worth of no shows or last minute cancellations the week leading up to Christmas. I couldn't believe the excuses "I've got to go Xmas shopping" or "I'm too busy for that", when I called a lady to ask where she was?! As if I had booked her in without her knowledge!! I've had a lady this morning, who booked her appointment on Tuesday, but called today because she is going on holiday today and won't have time… She knew that on Tuesday, surely!!? I regularly rant about this to my husband, it must drive him mad!! I always write on their record card to keep track of no shows and I think once is an accident, but on the second time, I will charge 50% if they don't have a valid excuse, like illness or car broken down or something out of their control. I have a sign in a pretty frame on reception now, and have added it to my new price lists, so that people are at least aware.

Today I had a kids fringe trim no show. I don't charge for this. And it doesn't take a lot of time.

But, my system sends out a message. Which the client confirmed yesterday they were attending today. Also, it was a family friend who I've known for my whole life... Wth?!

Most of my clients are fantastic but there are definitely ones who think nothing of it. I said to a client once "I've had clients coming to me for 15 years who have cancelled less than you" x

Hey sorry to jump your thread[emoji3]I'm in similar situation, I had someone with a charity voucher booked in. The first week she cancelled less than 24 hours, the second week she never showed up and said she thought it was the week after (I had sent her a reminder text ) now the third week she didn't show again and no messages etc. If someone did that to you ladies would you say the charity voucher is now void? Obviously if it was paid I wouldn't do this, but the whole point of charity ones is to get more clients and I don't really want ones that mess me about [emoji3]literally all my other clients I have are amazing and never ever muck me about. So not sure what to do.

Thanks

I would send a text saying if she doesn't turn up on time for her next appointment, the voucher will become void.

That's a good plan. The challenge is trying to word it professionally without being accused of it coming out as rude lol xxx

Do you have anything in your ts and cs? If you have something like "24 hours notice must be given or a charge will be implemented". Just sounds like a nightmare client x

You know what it's my own fault I have t and cs for my paid vouchers and for my loyalty vouchers but I never thought to make some for my charity ones as it was last minute that someone asked for one . And on the t and cs I do have I never mentioned people not turning up. I've clearly just been really lucky until now. Definitely a lesson learned though xxx

Latest posts

Back