Megamix nails. Create your own gel polish colours with eyeshadows, nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey people just checking in, and here to answer any questions, looks like the few of you that have made the leap of faith are mixing up a storm and loving it. However a few of you still need some convincing that it actually does what it say on the tin.:biggrin:

I'm going to go through each post individually and answer questions but there seems to be a lot of questions being asked about longevity especially on natural nails, so in response.

Megamix is a 3 step system and provided you apply it correctly and follow the steps you should get great wear, however not to limit users who love the base and top that they are using, i opened it up to everyone, if you get 2 weeks out of shellac then you should get 2 weeks out of megamix, if your regular gel polish application last 3 weeks then so should megamix.

For natural nail application the base coat is really good, and as you know with all nails it's about the preparation.

So for a 2 week wear set of megamix prep and scrub the nail as you would for a shellac application, really clean cuticle work and thorough scrubbing with scrub fresh or similar.

if you find this leads to premature lifting or separation from the free edge step it up, for those more long time wear clients remove the surface shine with a gently white sanding block, perhaps apply the base gel in more of a scrubbing motion then continue with your application.

a lot of what we do as a tec affects how the product wears so be very aware of that.

okay so once you have your base sorted then you are all set to mix it up

if you are going for the 2 week wear super thin application then just mix up your polish or glitter and apply 2-3 thin coats and then apply your top coat voila

if you want a more extended wear 3-4 weeks then thicken it up a little ( remember every layer of gel is a layer of strengths)

perhaps after your base coat apply a second layer of base coat, or just a clear layer of megamix

or after your 2-3 layers of megamix gel and polish mixture apply a layer of just clear megamix with the brush out of the bottle and smooth any imperfections and build an ever so slight arch, then cure and continue with top coat.

when you have created your mixture of megamix and polish together, you are only creating a finish, similar to nail polish or gel polish, this is not to be relied upon to create strength and structure. the strength and structure still need to be built in and sound in order for the nail to have long term wear, so just consider that when you are creating your enhancements.

If you are a successful nail tec who gets great results form the system you are using then you will get the same great results using megamix.

All gel is about good preparation precise application and working quickly ( not allowing the gel to shrink back) or working on a few nails at a time to avoid shrinkage, building up thin layers to avoid heat spikes and ensuring there is a nice structure to the nail.

A few people, have said the find the gel thick, in which case you just need to work it slightly thinner and use a little more pressure, if the gel is too thin it has a tenancy to easily shrink back and also run into the side walls so it's about creating a happy medium, i personally like the slight thicker more rounded application of gel ( not thick but richly smooth and rounded) the gel needs to be slightly thicker to allow it to be diluted by the polish and still maintain a certain consistency. Just keep working with it and you will all find your way.

hope that helps and look forward to lots more questions and lots more people getting mixing :)

Martin John :D

bigger bottle for me to buy into long term if i like it from the small bottle 8oz more cost effective as well...?

I can definitely see this as being an advantage to my clients. They are so damn picky about colours. I have about one million OPI polishes and only about 25 Gelish so being able to create a gel from my OPI bottles is magnificent. The added advantage is that I can then retail them a OPI polish for touch ups.

I'm giving 4/5. For the simple reason that it really is quite thick and when mixing the gel with the polish on foil it tends to thicken and form a skin if you don't work fast enough. So I would suggest mixing and applying one coat, then mixing and applying the second coat.

I thought mixing the polish with the gel would give it a less opaque colour, but not at all. It doesn't effect the colour. Still very solid.

Stay tuned. I've only had it on for half an hour. I would like to get 2 weeks out of it first before I unleash it to my clients.
mobile manicure I obviously would have prefered a 5 out of 5 but i'm happy with a 4 wink.
The slightly thicker apprerance you talk of will help with the strength and wear, you have obviously found your way. Mixing as you go is a great tip as the polish sometimes does tend to skin ( especially on foil) if you work in a dappen dish you may find this less so, but mixing a little at a time is a great way not to waste your polish or your gel.

you mentioned it was thick and you managed to get your coverage in 2 coats which is fab but i would tend to use a little more pressure and do 3 thinner coats, just be careful with those really dark colours like lincon park after dark that the uv/led can penatrate through and cure all the way.

Thanks for sharing your results, and you do well to trial it on yourself before you unleash it on your clients ! I have great faith that you will make it to 2 weeks ( and look forward to the results) so long as you sandwiched it in there good and proper and you sealed the free edge with top coat and did good prep ( which it sounds like you did ) then I can't wait :)

Martin

P.S. read my last post for some hints and tips on extended wear :)

It was the bottle.

the bottle and the pot are exactly the same product just one is in a bottle one is in a pot :) you all seem to be preferring the bottle at the the moment for some reason :) either way just keep mixing it up :)

thank you so much for getting back very much appreciated ,yes i know the system you are referring to, i thought your thought process was going along the same lines as there system, but basically it is for the color ...!!
well as stated i will definetly be buying to have up my sleeve for the odd client or so, who knows maybe more popular then first thought also if it is good could you please do larger size bottles like 8oz (like ibd intense seal) i think you would sell so much more this way i would be more inclined to offer and use it as i would be less likely to worry about product waste the odd drop or so i mean,(also it would be more cost effective hopefully) also can you do a YouTube video for the products varied uses you did nail art competition right... would be really great to see a video demonstration/instruction .. thank you again :biggrin:
Katie
all of your suggestions are valid i want to do a video just need to get to it and bigger bottles is a good idea however i always find by the time i get to the bottom of a big bottle the gel is always manky so much prefer opening a small new pot. As for cost effective this gel to my knowledge is the cheapest professional soak off gel on the market but if you want to buy in bulk i'm sure i can make a plan :)

as you say it is a great gel for every nail tec to have on their desk as a back up plan for that one client that walks in and want a polish colour that you don't have in gel and I'm sure once you use it you will love it.

if its simply only for mixing with glitter I have used and love biosculpture gel in all it's great colours when it comes to mixing it with glitter it just seems sinful and so extortionate like mixing a very expensive brandy or cognac with coke ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
miss sylk
looks like you have been mixing up a storm look forward to seeing more of your results :)

Must admit I'm Freeking out! Mixing polish with gel and bit letting the polish dry lol it's just so odd I expect it to peel off! Obviously I can't comment on its true longevity on the natural nail as I had gel already underneath. Interested to know how long it's lasting guys??
It does seem like magic doesn't it!!!!! like it shouldn't work but it does! just that small amount of gel creates a framework with the polish and you pull it out of the lamp and voila.

The gel polish as an entire system should easily last 2-3 weeks, but if you don't get that and find you need to put it over your existing gel or acrylic system you still have the benefit of having been able to make a permanent mix of your favorite china glaze colours

keep mixing :)

thank you so much for you response, great analogy and i think i will no doubt love this product, will be in touch soon i think it sounds like a spot on product :biggrin: yes YouTube let the world see it
thanks katy I always love an analogy, keep me posted and if there is anything i can help you with just let me know :)

I still have reservations about the name, but I'm enjoying the posts and pictures! It looks intriguing. Curiosity may end up killing the cat ;)

sorry i got mobile manicure and sal365 mixed up in my replies:Scared:
please forgive me
:Love:

I still have reservations about the name, but I'm enjoying the posts and pictures! It looks intriguing. Curiosity may end up killing the cat ;)
Twinners

Its Mega and you can Mix it with anything voila Megamix

you don't have to like the name you just have to love that it does what it says on the tin and it works and gives great results.

My ethos was simple i found a great product and brought it to market just wanted to share it with the world.

I could have spent £000 on advertizing, marketing, P.R. a focus group and marketing annalist, packaging, a huge launch party raffling off a car ! etc but who in the end has to pay for all that?????????
you the nail tec the consumer.

its cheap and chearfull and does the job kinda asda smart price

you don't see adverts on prime time telly for salt

this is like salt it's a pretty simple staple and yet everyone uses it and everyone has it on their table, if I can get this on everyone's nail table, not singing not dancing not in a fancy jeweled jar, but as the go to accompaniment when someone needs to add a little flavor to their nails then i have accomplished my mission.

I welcome all criticism and feedback and everyone is entitled to their opinion, having followed this post and answered all these questions has been a great learning experience for me and has helped in the further development of my product and website etc

I hope curiosity does get the better of you and then you will be able to base your conclusions on actual trial and tested results. one of the other suggestions for a name was nail sauce !!!!! ( as in rega rega sauce! ) but apart from that i didnt really have anything so it was not like i had loads of options to choose from Martins Mega Mix just seemed to roll off the tongue and that was it :)
Look forward to you taking the plunge and here to help you in any way I can, but as I have just had a load more lables, and cards printed for at least a while it's going to be MEGAMIX :)

Have to agree with Twinners here, I'm not keen on the name. But it does sound interesting. Can it be used with Vinylux polish?

that is great fun answer, like salt pot on every ones desk , you are sounding like a really fun great company spot on for me i need your YouTube video now
lol :biggrin:i would only know it as Megamix now

Last edited:
Ok day 4 and not a chip or peel in sight. It even survived me slamming my thumb in the car door and separating the nail plate from the nail bed! Ouch!!!

I am really rough and hard on my nails (although I don't usually make a habit of slamming them in car doors) but at least I've been oiling them. I will send an updated pic at the end of the week.

Have to agree with Twinners here, I'm not keen on the name. But it does sound interesting. Can it be used with Vinylux polish?

I'm wondering that too because vinylux dries so fast it might dry up before you've mixed and applied to all nails, certainly by a 2nd or 3rd coat?

I did try this mixing thing years ago with maniQ (the instructions were direct from young nails) and whilst it did work and lasted well on nails, just like their coloured maniQ really, it was a faff and you did get wastage as the made up mix wouldn't keep as it would harden (as the solvents evaporated I presume?)

I'm wondering if you mix with just pure glitter though whether that could be stored a while? I think I may buy a pot (prefer a pot not a bottle) to test out with glitter.

Ok day 4 and not a chip or peel in sight. It even survived me slamming my thumb in the car door and separating the nail plate from the nail bed! Ouch!!!

I am really rough and hard on my nails (although I don't usually make a habit of slamming them in car doors) but at least I've been oiling them. I will send an updated pic at the end of the week.

Ooh poor you! What base and topcoat did you use with it can I ask?

Hope the poorly thumb heals quick :(

okay so tell me what you want it to be called and i will print a sticker just for you Wink :)

works really well with vinyux because it is so heavily pigmented, for best results mix as you go 3 drops gel 3 drops polish and apply then mix a bit more :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I dont know any gel on the market that will stand up to a thumb in the car door !!!!!

ouch !

but the gel is still on!!!!!!

if you make it to 2 weeks by the sounds of everything you are getting up to it it will be a miricle or it will be mega mega mix !

hang in there :) and thanks for sharing

Ouch! Has the whole nail come away? One of my clients fell and tore half her nail off.(before she became my client, I hasten to add) there is a picture in my gallery of her nail. I managed to sculpt her a new nail until it has grown out, it's just nearing the top of her finger. I had to remove the hard acrylic that she had on them but couldn't do anything for a week, it was so painful.

Hope you feel better soon :hug:

okay so tell me what you wan tit to be called and i will print a sticker just for you Wink :)

works really well with vinyux because it is so heavily pigmented, for best results mix as you go 3 drops gel 3 drops polish and apply then mix a bit more :)

Not keen on that name either! ;)

Latest posts

Back