Sweet Squared and Tibby Oliver allowing non professionals on the courses!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turn a potential threat into something postive, use it as an opportunity to flaunt the qualifications you're proud of!

Being good at something is only half the battle, you have to TELL people how good you are- and how you got so good...

You, absolutely, should be aware of your competition, but theres a difference between awareness and resentful paranoia :)

I don't have an NVQ and I didn't go to college for 3 years. I trained to do nails in my old salon with a qualified LCN trainer, so first and foremost I'm a nail tech and have been for 4 years. In that time i did and 1 day waxing course and and 1 day individual eyelash course. Just because those courses were short does that make me less of a professional in those areas? I'd never studied beauty before, that was my starting point, sounds like this is hers

This post has certainly made me angry I have done an accredited 2 day course and I got taught all about contraindications and the scientific side and also the business side and I also have a big folder on it all! How can people say we are not professional? It gives us just as much right to get insured and do treatments! I am also a single person living on my own with bills to pay that don't come cheap so I work in a office full time and have done for 8 years! NVQ courses don't come cheap! Do u people that don't agree want us to become homeless and broke just to have 3 years training so you can accept we are professional? I'm sorry about this rant but some people out there are damn right nasty to people who are just as good as anyone else!

Turn a potential threat into something postive, use it as an opportunity to flaunt the qualifications you're proud of!

Being good at something is only half the battle, you have to TELL people how good you are- and how you got so good...

You, absolutely, should be aware of your competition, but theres a difference between awareness and resentful paranoia :)

That made me laugh! :)

Look guys, at the end of the day, if your clients up and leave you because someone else is £5 cheaper (regardless of experience) then they weren't really your clients in the first place - you were just £5 cheaper than the old competition and a simple commodity to be used.

Let me put the cat amongst the pigeons here - if a client weighs you up based purely on your price against the competition - don't you think you should ask yourself if you're really as good as you think you are?

This post has certainly made me angry I have done an accredited 2 day course and I got taught all about contraindications and the scientific side and also the business side and I also have a big folder on it all! How can people say we are not professional? It gives us just as much right to get insured and do treatments! I am also a single person living on my own with bills to pay that don't come cheap so I work in a office full time and have done for 8 years! NVQ courses don't come cheap! Do u people that don't agree want us to become homeless and broke just to have 3 years training so you can accept we are professional? I'm sorry about this rant but some people out there are damn right nasty to people who are just as good as anyone else!

Let me turn it around for you Becs...you've worked in an office fulltime for 8 years. Do you think if an office newbie came in for 2 days and worked alongside you they would know as much about the company, the office, the people working within it and all of the equipment as you do? Could they do your job to your exact standard after just 2 days with no prior experience?

Yes?

Blimey wonder if the girl who did the Tibby Olivier training knows what a furore she's caused?! She could be reading this you know ;)

One question I do have about short training courses like this is are people sufficiently confident to understand their clients' medical histories, medications and contras?
Any accredited course has to cover all of that Lynne. Besides, I get calls and emails from therapists that I haven't trained just asking for advice and it's usually asking my advice on just that and they HAVE been to college for 2/3 years.

Let me turn it around for you Becs...you've worked in an office fulltime for 8 years. Do you think if an office newbie came in for 2 days and worked alongside you they would know as much about the company, the office, the people working within it and all of the equipment as you do? Could they do your job to your exact standard after just 2 days with no prior experience?

Yes?
I totally get the point you're making but like in any job, you get those that want to excel and those that are happy to plod along and do the minimum required to earn their wage. Office or salon.........it's the same.

Going off topic here for a minute. Gosh Kim just noticed you have 7, 728 posts!! What a contribution to SG!!!! Thank you! Ok over to the rest of you now.

Going off topic here for a minute. Gosh Kim just noticed you have 7, 728 posts!! What a contribution to SG!!!! Thank you! Ok over to the rest of you now.
Do I? Blimey! I need to get out more.:wink2:

Oh and by the way.........that doesn't make me more qualified to reply to threads any more than a newbie, just because I've been on here a long while:)

I would just like to say, when I started in the industry all I did was one day courses. I did them in an array of places some set me up with the skills I needed and some not even close. So when it does come down to these courses I think there is such a difference in each training establishment regardless of the piece of paper you walk away with. I have now gone back to training and am almost at the end of my level 2 then ill be starting my level. And all I can say is that there is no competing an nvq to day courses. Although the techniques I jave learnt have been much the same the background, details on contra indicators, medical details, consultation techniques, you cant learn all of this in one day as well as the skill itself. Maybe the industry would benefit from a short course on these factors which people had to pass before doing a one day course.

And yes I do think its scary for someone to do one days training then be able to be let loose on clients. I know I was one of them but I also know the kistakes I made where I didnt have the proper training behimd ke x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

I've recently seen a one day massage course advertised.

The thought of people doing that, and being let loose on members of the public scares me!

Michelle x

Oh and by the way.........that doesn't make me more qualified to reply to threads any more than a newbie, just because I've been on here a long while:)

You are highly respected in your chosen specialty Kim. Any concerns about waxing and who is our first choice? ???? KIM LAWLESS xx Off topic again, sorry mods xx

I have done long and short courses. Interestingly I no longer offer the treatments that I did the short courses in. For me I didn't know enough after a short course to have confidence to charge my clients. However, this is for me personally.

Would I go to a therapist who had only done a short course? I would try any therapist who had been recommended to me by word of mouth. I would then check they are insured and registered with a professional body so they have to complete CPD. That way i know they are continuing to learn. If I then liked the treatment I'd return.

I would actually prefer to go to someone who had done short courses but carried out CPD than someone who had done a 3 year course 10 years ago and never done a days training since.

LOL

xProjectPrettyx

I think maybe you should enrol on a short 2 day course to see what it's actually like Sarah_Lou

Don't knock it till you try it! I wasted 6-8 months doing manicure and nail tech to find that my college have totally messed up the certification procedure and a year on I'm still waiting for my certificates but I'm continuing to do my clients nails after being given a personal letter by my tutor to say they are still claiming for our certificates. Long story cut short my course was taken over my City and guilds half way through manicure and although I passed with high grading they've had a problem on their end so I'm now looking into doing these 2 day courses with respected professionals to get my accredited certificates in order to purchase my CND products.

Best to have an open mind in the beauty industry. I enquired with the HD Brow course too recently and you would be trained by the founder of HD Brows at her main base in Milton Keynes. The course is £875 over 2 days only. Training with the lady who founded HD Brows. Does that make her students any less professional? I don't think she would risk her registration if that was the case. Like many other 2 day courses.

Don't knock it till you try it. Who knows, you may even be missing out on amazing new products and services to offer without these short bursts of training courses.

xProjectPrettyx

Nails They would be briefly trained in a subject/treatment said:
No I completely understand. I am not saying short courses are the way forward. If I did I wouldnt be doing 3 years to become a hair dresser.

I have done short courses myself like tanning etc. I also did a 2 day hair extension course but only because I had the knowledge from my level 2 nvq hair behind me.

The only thing that I was pointing out that the assumptions made that all people who under take short courses are out to undercut and who will be rubbish doing the treatment that they trained in which is unfair. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I did a fast track NVQ level 2 and all my nail courses were a few days, I recently had a client who was a beautician she did nails for 2 years at college and guess what? I was giving her advice I was shocked she was so ill informed. When you enter an industry it's your job to make it your passion and deliver a good service no matter if you did a 2 day course or 2 years. In all my courses I've been given manuals which I have studied, I'm in a family of beauticians, micro pigmentation experts and aestheticians, I think people are painting people who do short courses as people who are uneducated and undercut the rest and that is just not true if you are passionate about the service you are giving and you educate yourself it doesn't matter. I'm a single young mother and I could not afford to go to college for 2 years does that mean I'm a bad practitioner? No it doesn't.

...I enquired with the HD Brow course too recently and you would be trained by the founder of HD Brows at her main base in Milton Keynes. The course is £875 over 2 days only. Training with the lady who founded HD Brows...

xProjectPrettyx

Really, £875? How did you get that price - that's a saving over over £100? PM if you want. Xx

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Latest posts

Back