Very confused

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redheadxx

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

New to the whole nail industry. Been practicing acrylic nails for around 5 months on and off. However I have been wondering more and more about uv gels.

There are so many different types. Can anyone tell me more about them.
Not really the polish type ones more interested the builder type ones.

I've read online that the normal uv builder gels you can't soak off. But then watching a random video on youtube about uv builder gels the lady said that the soak off uv gels kind are not strong enough to do with glued on nail tips/extensions?

I'm so confused. Already purchased my uv lamp, but have no uv products yet to try as very confused as to what's what.

Would love some help from all you wise nail professionals out there.

Thanks in advance

Kerry. X

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s3 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hey everyone.

New to the whole nail industry. Been practicing acrylic nails for around 5 months on and off. However I have been wondering more and more about uv gels.

There are so many different types. Can anyone tell me more about them.
Not really the polish type ones more interested the builder type ones.

I've read online that the normal uv builder gels you can't soak off. But then watching a random video on youtube about uv builder gels the lady said that the soak off uv gels kind are not strong enough to do with glued on nail tips/extensions?

I'm so confused. Already purchased my uv lamp, but have no uv products yet to try as very confused as to what's what.

Would love some help from all you wise nail professionals out there.

Thanks in advance

Kerry. X

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s3 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well Kerry, you allready made your first mistake: buying "a" UV-lamp without knowing what brand of UV-gel you wanna use. Good thing is: this mistake was nog like a 500£ mistake :D

If every starting nailtech would follow the advice i'm going to give you, a lot of money would be better spend, and few mistakes would be made.

Before you spend any more money, take a deep breath, and search Google for "Doug Schoon", list yourself to recieve his email-news letters and read everything that the man writes. That will keep you busy for a while ;-)

Take your time, don't rush into buying.

Oh no why was it a mistake in buying a lamp?

Will search what you said. How will this help?

Thanks

Kerry.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh no why was it a mistake in buying a lamp?

Will search what you said. How will this help?

Thanks

Kerry.

My english is not good enough to answer your questions in a compact way. But the advice is given with the most possible good intentions of helping you to be the best possible nailtech with a lot of product knowledge. And that is what you were asking for ;-)

Greetings from Belgium,
Conny

Ok thanks for your help, will look into that

Still confused with the uv gels

Can anyone give any advice?

Geeg will be along soon to help you out shes best at explaining things :)
Ill try my best though, every system of gel has there own lamp to go with it, ranging from £90+ i think, each system works slightly different, and to make sure there is no under curing of the product (which can b harmful, but u cant over cure gel) theres the lamp to go with it, ensuring there is no under curing which leads to service breakdown (not good! Haha )
I dont really deal with gel extensions, im l&p for them but all the geeks will tell you how good brisa lite is from CND :) to get the most of a product like that ur best going on a conversion course with CND so u know the right pep, application and removal (CND have a youtube channel thats AMAZING i cant keep my eyes off it hehe)
Hth chick xoxo

My english is not good enough to answer your questions in a compact way. But the advice is given with the most possible good intentions of helping you to be the best possible nailtech with a lot of product knowledge. And that is what you were asking for ;-)

Greetings from Belgium,
Conny

Certainly research Doug Schoon but we have all his info right here on the site ... Right at the top of the page in this following thread which has been stuck there for all to see! It always strikes me as odd, the number of people who post a question in a new thread without ever seeing this valuable information.

After you have read the thread you will know more about UV lamps than most people. Then do a search for Brisa Lite gel from CND. It is the newest hard gel and you can also soak it off when you want to. It is also unique in that you do not need to ever rough up the surface of the nail, or even buff it gently, before applying the product It is from CND and it is a fantastic product. Enjoy Salongeek and welcome.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/172609-uv-product-summary.html

Thanks for that!

I just bought the same uv lamp I've been in when I've had my nails done previously by many nail techs.
Didn't realise there were so many :(

So will not all gels cure properly with this lamp?

Lol Oh dear I'm sounding like a right dumb bum lol

X

Nope, all uv lamps are not created equal.
You will need to buy the correct lamp for whichever gel product you use, as they all have different outputs (not to be confused with wattage!)
For instance, CND products will not cure properly with any other lamp than the CND one.

Ok then thanks guys.

How can you tell if the gel hasn't cured properly?

Also just looked at the Brisa lite range. Looks amazing.

X

So if each lamp cures differently it can be unsafe to come out from the lamp not having cured the gel properly. (Causing Future service breakdown)

However, does this mean that if left in uv lamp a little longer than normal it would eventually cure properly?

Sorry. Trying my best to understand everything.

So if each lamp cures differently it can be unsafe to come out from the lamp not having cured the gel properly. (Causing Future service breakdown)

However, does this mean that if left in uv lamp a little longer than normal it would eventually cure properly?

Sorry. Trying my best to understand everything.

No, staying longer in the lamp is not the same as using the correct lamp.
All you answers will be in the file that is linked a few post above this.
It is a must do "now" -thing :twisted:

Greetings from Belgium

Don't get too worried about the lamp- you haven't brought into a product yet and there is always someone who wants the lamp you have, so an easy enough problem to solve. All makes perfect sense when you read the literature by doug, but don't panic!

Soak off hard gels are few and far between compared to the buff off variety. CND brisa lite is the newest on the market I believe, there is also Eco soak off gel, cuccio and not sure one by asp. There is also the soak off gel variety that is designed for added strength under a gel polish and each brand has their own ie gelish structure gel, brisa lite smoothing to name a few. These are generally speaking not designed to hold enhancements perhaps this is where your confusion lies.

As suggested do your research about what you would like from a product, and try a few. Im still training on hard gel so happily testing them and soak off kind as I go. Have fun and good luck!

I'm assuming you've had no training in gels? It's a completely different application to l&p x

Thanks so much Gemma

That was very helpful, much appreciated.

How can I try different products if I have to have a different lamp for each brand? Lol I'll end up with a good few lamps.

Kerry x

Thanks so much Gemma

How can I try different products if I have to have a different lamp for each brand? Lol I'll end up with a good few lamps.

Kerry x

1. By going and having a demonstration on your own nails and wearing it ... I know we are happy to apply the odd nail or two to any prospective client for CND ... it always sells itself after that.
2. Then of course there is reputation, reputation and reputation.

3. Search on the forum and see what the techs who are using the products say.

Thanks so much Gemma

Kerry x

As above, and also check with manufacturers about whether their product will cure in the lamp you have. I've managed to try a good few with my lamp so far :)

Right ok then will get onto it

Yes that's right I haven't had any training was all just a love and hobby really but really interested in taking it further.

Kerry x

Right ok then will get onto it

Yes that's right I haven't had any training was all just a love and hobby really but really interested in taking it further.

Kerry x

That's prob the best way to get started ;-) train with a product you've had applied that you like, don't waste time and money on too much trial and error prior to training! X

Ok cool. Any other tips to get set in this business? Lol x

Latest posts

Back