Gel top coat for OPI polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peppy

Reaction score
Hi, ive had a request from a customer for a mani and pedi using OPI polish but she wants a gel top coat on the top. I normally use Gelish, but i think i heard that the Top it Off is not compatible for use on normal polish.

What does everyone else use?

Thanks x

I don't think many people do this since there is no products that is made for it. Polish needs to evaporate to dry but gel is cured so if the polish underneath is not completely dried (and I mean wait 1-2 hours dry) you can't really guarantee that the client won't be overexposed to wet polish or have a service breakdown:/

I did however come upon this the other day:
Polish Seal

I believe it's a new product, haven't heard any reviews about it yet, but it is designed to put over normal nail varnish!

ah thank you, i wasnt sure. She asked for it so she must get it somewhere! I will just have to explain the reasons and use normal top coat. thanks. x

No problem:)

I for one am going to check on the LCN supplier in town and ask her about that Polish Seal thing and check it out!

There is actually a gel top coat called purity quick shine I have just ordered to see what it's like x

There is actually a gel top coat called purity quick shine I have just ordered to see what it's like x

I was just about to say the same thing! It does work! I used it on my MIL to test it out first and she abuses her nails and she got 7 days before her first chip. With care I reckon it would last 14 days.

Oh that's good how is the removal? X

Oh that's good how is the removal? X

Well its VITAL you seal the free edge or is WILL shrink, however as long as you do this it will be perfect!

As for the removal I must admitt it does take a bit of time, I normally end up filing the polish off as well! I keep checking with polish remover to see if I can have gonr through the top coat but it never budges, I guess this is a down side. But there is no nail damage as long as your careful.

This product does actually work. A uv cured gel top coat which seals your polish for 2 weeks. You also have to remove the stickey!

Yeah I ordered that as well just going to use it myself at the moment and prob us it on my friend as she is a hairdresser and her polish never lasts x

Each company claims that their top coat should not be used with other products and that their colors need their own top coat. It is hard to know what is best. My thoughts are when it comes to gels it is always best to not intermix name brand top coats with name brand gel colors because you cannot guarantee the results as they were not tested together. Nail polish mixed with gel top coat is a brave thing to tackle when it comes to a clients nails. I have never heard of this Polish Seal but would like to know how it works

Yeah I ordered that as well just going to use it myself at the moment and prob us it on my friend as she is a hairdresser and her polish never lasts x

Where did you order the purity top coat from? Would be interested in trying this out.

I could be wrong but wasn't there a gel called Chroma or something like that? it was meant to use with regular polish. I'm sure there is a gel top coat in that line.

It's from the nail warehouse I think it google it x

Cheers Hun will take a look!

ManiQ Top Coat from Young Nails can be used over nail polish. The Young Nails educators will tell you this. I've tried it and it does work well. You must make sure the nail polish is properly dry. I don't have a lot of need for it though as I use Shellac and Gelish, but it's there if I need it 😊

Latest posts

Back