10 year old wanting full set of acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinker bell

Reaction score
Hi geeks, my niece has mothered me for ages for acrylic and I have said no, she has just started hanging around with a 13 yr old who has pink and white sculpted nails and no she I'd adamant she is having them and giving my sister a hard time

So I gets a call before from my sister saying she is going to let her have them done at a local salon who will do them for her, a salon I now doesn't sanitize anything and files your natural nail with a drill( I know this because I've had them done there).

Persuaded my sister not to taker her there for several reasons and she agreed,

She's only a kid, plays out on skate boards bikes, always falling over, typical 10 years old so god knows what would happen to her fingers if she caught them ect.

Can anyone recommend something I could make for her?

I've just bought a set of kids stick on nails and was going to sculpt a set of French over them so they look more like real acrylics that way if she does catch them they will just ping off rather than break her nail( hopefully) I just feel my sister will give in if she's mothered,

Any suggestions to make my niece a happy girl.

X

Hi Tinkerbell,

Wow peer pressure always brings the hard dilemma. I think your right in that if your sister is going to give in, then let your niece come to you. Also I would be thinking along the same lines as you, or just do polish with a bit of nail art i.e. a glitter fade, and sell it to your niece that its the latest thing ( you wont be lying) and that she's not copying, she's a fashion leader! Lol......... good luck Hun! Xx

I know I'm old and 'old school' but "No" should be enough! The little nails of a 10 year old will look pretty with a bit of glitter polish, different colour on each nail etc

I totally agree. 10 is far too young. I have no children is its easy for me to say no. I think they look awful on such little fingers as well. My sister has 4 kids and I can see the hard work she has , and I can also imagine how she could end up saying yes just for some peace and quiet. But I have told her if it comes to it nobody other than me is touching her nails, I've got some moulds n glitter, so i think I'll make some glitzy nails out of them and stick them on.

Thanks. X

Mum your not old school at all, no should mean no, but the kids of today have a knack of wearing you down backed up by ideas from peers! My son is 21 now, and he taught me a hell of a lot! Lol x

No no no lol.There to young far to young.I wouldn't be even putting stick on ones on either little girls should stay little girls regardless of what they want.

I painted my 8year olds nails just before xmas and what a waist of time.they chipped the next day lol.pointless.

I would just be inclined to give her a nice manicure make it special and a pedicure a nice polish with a little nail art maybe and explain to her she can grow her own nails if she takes care of them.Little hand cream and cuticle oil for her to take away with her to feel grown up but still being lil girly.

She wouldn't be allowed them at school either schools are pretty ot on the ball with this nowadays.x

No way under any circumstance could i justify putting anything other than polish and a bit of nail art on a ten year old. The key reason for that being one of health and safety.

I had an 8 year old come in to the salon the other day asking for Acrylics :eek:

I checked with my insurance company a few weeks ago who said as long as i have a parents signature for under 16, i was covered. I wasnt too impressed with this, so have made my own rule & blame the insurance company that i'm not allowed to do acrylics on under 12's. Even then, i'm still not sure i'd be totally happy with it if they're rough & tumble teens.

My 9 year old niece has her nails painted occasionally with Gelish & i do all sorts of sparkly things on them to impress her more than having longer nails.

I like your idea of doing something over stick on nails, therefore reducing any major damage to the nail.
But with regards to the salon your sister was going to take her to, all you can do is do what you did & treat her like a client & educate her to what happens.

Gel polish rockstars over her natural nail will out shine any pink and whites at her age. Show her pics of all the stars with short nails that rock!

Ok, maybe I'm a bad mom, but I have put acrylics on my daughter before when she was 12. I knew they wouldn't last long so I just used tips and clear powder. She got about 2 weeks out of them before she decided she wanted them off. I soaked them off for her. She is now almost 14 and every time she bugs me for acrylic nails I just tell her no. I just remind her that she wore them last time for only 2 weeks and they surely wouldn't last that long since she does gymnastics. I buy her the cute decorated press ons and she's happy with those. Twelve years is young, but she's a daughter of a nail tech...I like to practice sometimes!

I'll never forget going on holiday with a friend n his kids he picked up one from her mums and she had acrylics on at 8 I was so shocked. The little girl ripped one off at the water park and was screaming.
I don't get why parents let their children grow up too quick childhood is precious!

Sparkly polish that's all

I'll never forget going on holiday with a friend n his kids he picked up one from her mums and she had acrylics on at 8 I was so shocked. The little girl ripped one off at the water park and was screaming.
I don't get why parents let their children grow up too quick childhood is precious!

Sparkly polish that's all

Not all but some before I offend.

Thanks geeks.
X

Your sister should tell her the school won't allow it and she'd rip off her nail bed if she had an accident on her bike etc

Blimey I just don't get all this "she'll be mithered and give in" business!

Who exactly is the boss here ?!

Latest posts

Back