100/180 buffer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalia Edwards

Reaction score
hi can anyone recommend another good 100/180 buffer that's a little cheaper than the nail harmony ones?

hi can anyone recommend another good 100/180 buffer that's a little cheaper than the nail harmony ones?

I'm unaware of the cost of the NH buffers, or how much you're willing to pay, but the NSI Sand Turtle buffers are available in either 120 or 220 grit, come in packs of 6 (I think), and are good value because they're long lasting.

Can I use q different grit though as I assumed 180 was the correct grit for gel polish?

Can I use q different grit though as I assumed 180 was the correct grit for gel polish?

You didn't actually say that it was for use with gel polish, but why would you be using a buffer with gel polish anyway?

Sorry must have missed that off. With Gelish we buff the nail with a 180 grit buffer before application

I never do that with gel polish..never have any problems..

I never do that with gel polish..never have any problems..
It was part of our training to biff the natural nail with a 180 buffer. If you have trained with another company then maybe that's why

Regardless of what the company say, it isn't recommended that you ever use anything with a lower grit than 240 on the natural nail. Anything else is too damaging.

Google Doug Schoon, an independent industry scientist, in fact THE industry scientist, and read some of his articles and you'll see just how much damage can be done to the nail plTe with a nail file.

Regardless of what the company say, it isn't recommended that you ever use anything with a lower grit than 240 on the natural nail. Anything else is too damaging.

Google Doug Schoon, an independent industry scientist, in fact THE industry scientist, and read some of his articles and you'll see just how much damage can be done to the nail plTe with a nail file.
So Gelish are promoting nail damage by using a 180 grit buffer?

If they are teaching that you buff the natural nail plate with a 180 grit file then in my opinion, yes.

Copied from Dougs FB page
Doug Schoon
7 March 2013 ·
Let’s clear something up! It’s not just nail bars or non-standard salons that are damaging client's nails. I've been in high end salons and watched nail technicians over file the nail plate. I’ve seen top educators for major companies, over file the nail plates. Go to a trade show and watch the nail demos, and you’ll see this happen all the time. Some manufacturers video demostrate techniques that encourage over filing the nail plate. This is all too common problem in our industry. I’d venture to guess that a significant percentage of all nail techs around the world are prone to using overly aggressive filing techniques. And I guess that many of you reading this post, also over file the nail plate.

As an industry, we got to move past blaming non-standard salons and begin to realize this is a COMMON problem in the nail industry, which means huge number of nail techs (if not most nail techs) are improperly filing and/or removing nail coatings. Sure, things were much worse in the 80’s and 90s and this industry has made great strides in the last ten years. Still, the nail industry has a long way to go. Blaming some nail techs for what many nail techs regularly do will NOT solve this common problem.

The solutions start with each of you. Nail techs should NOT be removing layers of the natural nail and when coatings are removed- there should be no nail damage. Responsible companies should NOT be teaching potentially damaging techniques which encourage over filing of the nail plate. If your client's nails show signs of nail damage, you need to look at your own techniques and not blame the products. Most of this nail damage is the caused by the nail professional, not the products.

LikeShow More Reactions
CommentShare

If they are teaching that you buff the natural nail plate with a 180 grit file then in my opinion, yes.
Out if Interest which company did you train with? I will question this tomorrow with my educator

I have trained with both OPI and CND. I was taught to never use anything lower than a 240 on natural nails.
You'll also find many Gelish nail techs don't need to buff at all prior to application. If you use the search function on here you'll find posts discussing this.

I trained this year and that is what we where shown. Could you send me a link?

I will give it a go on myself first as would be devastated if it affected the life of people's gels. Gelish wouldn't have it in their manual for no reason surely

Latest posts

Back