12 year old wanting highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L_Bailey

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As the title suggests I have been asked to highlight a 12 year olds hair who has already been haveing highlights at ab other salon for about a year now!

I know there is some thing saying bot to colour under 16's hair as its against the manufactures instructions which then invalidates my insurance but i just wanted to see if there was any ways around it etc :) xxx
Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

My hair tutor in college told us that if the colour isnt going on scalp you dont need to patch test (cap highlights/foils/dip dye). Maybe contact your supplier about it? If insurance says follow supliers instructions, ask supplier for guidance on the issue x

Sent from my LG-E430 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah the patch test wasn't the bit I was worried about was the insurance side of things just wanted to see if I had a client sign a disclaimer I could still carry out the service! X

I always say to clients that I cannot colour under 16's hair as it is against manufactures instructions and will invalidate my insurance. A disclaimer will not hold up in court if anything was to happen x

Perfect thank you babychops :) will be telling her that! Xx

Just told her so hopefully she's okay with it! X

That's ok, I'm sure they will understand x

My hair tutor in college told us that if the colour isnt going on scalp you dont need to patch test (cap highlights/foils/dip dye). Maybe contact your supplier about it? If insurance says follow supliers instructions, ask supplier for guidance on the issue x

OMG. Your tutor is talking absolute bollocks and should be reprimanded for her incompetence.

Manufacturers instructions always state to patch test. They don't say, no need to bother if doing cap or foil highlights, do they?

If someone has a severe allergy to the chemicals in hair colour (PPD, PTD) and the hairdresser knew this but didn't patch test, and subsequently the client suffered a reaction, the hairdresser would be stuffed. Her insurance company wouldn't assist as she didn't follow manufacturers instructions and she could lose everything.

It's just not worth the small risk, in my opinion. Also, court proceedings aside, imagine how you would feel if you caused someone to need hospital treatment? I know I'd be totally devastated.

(Even if using a cap or foils, there's always a chance of spilling some tint onto the skin somewhere, particularly when rinsing it off.)

People with extreme allergic reactions to PPD can be affected even after colour has been rinsed from the hair. Any contact with skin (eg long hair touching back of neck or shoulders) can start a reaction. I think your college tutor needs to read up on the manufacturers instructions for skin testing.

Personally, I wouldn't be highlighting a 12 years olds hair. You are asking "if there are any ways around it?" You know that you shouldn't be doing it so why risk it? Say no and show your professionalism.

OMG. Your tutor is talking absolute bollocks and should be reprimanded for her incompetence.

Manufacturers instructions always state to patch test. They don't say, no need to bother if doing cap or foil highlights, do they?

If someone has a severe allergy to the chemicals in hair colour (PPD, PTD) and the hairdresser knew this but didn't patch test, and subsequently the client suffered a reaction, the hairdresser would be stuffed. Her insurance company wouldn't assist as she didn't follow manufacturers instructions and she could lose everything.

It's just not worth the small risk, in my opinion. Also, court proceedings aside, imagine how you would feel if you caused someone to need hospital treatment? I know I'd be totally devastated.

(Even if using a cap or foils, there's always a chance of spilling some tint onto the skin somewhere, particularly when rinsing it off.)

Im not arguing not to follow instructions. Should probably state ive only done a few colour units (temp/semi) as part of hair and media make up. Think the point she was making was if it doesnt come into contact with skin it cant cause a reaction.

Haven't done any colouring since qualifying so dont worry, no one put at risk of being hospitalised :)

I hadnt thought about potential product spillage at the time she said it, quite careless to tell students that! Xx

Interesting! I'm a trainee also, I'm still at blowdries so nowhere near colouring yet but I've also heard them in the salon I work in saying there's no need to patch test if highlighting! Scary!!

I think the confusion might be because some people are using a bleach to highlight in foils or the cap etc, and you don't skin test bleach as you can't be allergic to it, it's just an irritant to the skin. So I guess for bleach highlights you wouldn't need to skin test. But many people would use a toner afterwards, and that's why a skin test would be crucial.

It was more of a if she questions me what can I say to get round it as I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that to a 12 year olds hair tbh! Not even if she was my sister! She's far to young! Stupid how colleges don't seem to be up to date with stuff like this! Xx

Im not arguing not to follow instructions. Should probably state ive only done a few colour units (temp/semi) as part of hair and media make up. Think the point she was making was if it doesnt come into contact with skin it cant cause a reaction.

Haven't done any colouring since qualifying so dont worry, no one put at risk of being hospitalised :)

I hadnt thought about potential product spillage at the time she said it, quite careless to tell students that! Xx

Hi Sarah

Sorry if you were offended. My post was critical of your dreadful tutor not you. Definitely make sure you use a good textbook or the student version of Myhairdressers.com to learn colouring from so you can answer your colouring exams correctly.

I trained via the college route and I used to feel irritated when Salon owners slagged off college students as being inferior to salon trained but I can see their point to an extent if students are taught the wrong information at the outset.

It's really down to the quality of teaching rather than college v salon. My level 3 tutor was really knowledgeable and had lots of experience here and outside the UK. There were others at the same college who just passed anyone, no matter how dreadful they were. Eek!

OP. Do you use an iPad or smart phone when doing consultations?

I googled info about people who have suffered allergic reactions to tint and saved these in a folder to show any clients who are adamant they don't want a patch test. If that doesn't shock them into being sensible, they can go elsewhere.

You could try this and explain that manufacturers changed their rules about colouring under 16's because they are still growing and so more susceptible to getting allergic reactions. Also, ask her if the previous salon ever did a patch test. What's the betting, they never offer a patch test? ;-)

No offence taken :) a practising hairdresser will obv be more knowlegable and experienced than someone who has only covered half a level 2 and only uses it for blow dries haha funnily enough i dont think patch testing was even in the colouring exam! Was nearly a year ago i sat it, only one to pass with 100% too!

OP, if your not comfortable doing the treatment, tell them your insurance wont cover you! Hopefully they will respect you for doing the right thing and not just grabbing their money xx

Perhaps as someone else stated about not patch testing bleach is what

IPad sounds like a great idea! She's a new client so kinda feel bad turning her away but it's not worth risking tbh and although the money would be nice it could mess up the rest of my career! :) thanks for all the help guys :) xxx

Colouring under 16s is against EU guidelines. Basically if you chose to do it (skin tested or not) and ANYTHING goes wrong it is your responsibility - no insurance no legal stand point.

Our cans in salon state not for use on persons under the age of 16z

Bleach doesn't require skin testing but then you couldn't add lowlight, or correct a bleed or tone (unless with a true semi).

When working with color in foil as soon as you add water the colour will come in contact with the scalp so that no skin testing with foils is voided.

Latest posts

Back