25 minute nails and funny smell from dust

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purple_Fairy

Reaction score
Ihad a lady in 2 weeks ago requiring a rebalance on 3 weeks old enhancements she had done in Florida. During the consulation she admitted that she did not know what system had been used to create her enhancements. With this in mind I contacted my educators to ask their opinion where I was advised that my system is compatible with most others - rebalance done, no probs.

Until today - she called me to say she had just broken one, and wondered if I had time to remove them and convert them to my system totally. I had space so in she came...WELL these nails were as tough as old boots, had to be filed off (by hand as I don't have an e-file) and the dust that came off them had a chemically smell. It turns out that the place that applied them did them in 25 minutes charged $18 and the person doing them didn't even speak her language.

Is this a normal thing to come across in this business? I am worried that MMA's may have been in the products that I was filing off due to that smell, anyone had any experience with that?

Sorry for the long thread :):irked:

How did you find them when you did the re-balance? was that hard to file through to? just wondering as you said you re-balanced with no problem.

How did you find them when you did the re-balance? was that hard to file through to? just wondering as you said you re-balanced with no problem.

There was about 3 weeks regrowth there and didn't strike me that tough at the time, however I'm only just getting into file off gels so it could have been my inexperience with non-soak off that made me think that was normal.

I have had several clients in the past like that - all of who have been to the same salon (electric drills, masks, etc, etc) and I have been asked to rebalance/remove and replace their nails. Tried soaking them, but it takes such a long time and I get nowhere, so I end up filing them off, the odour is very distinct (sightly fishy!).

What I wonder as I'm doing them is if this stuff is MMA should I (and my client) be wearing a mask too, and am I right to remove it, or should I refuse and ask them to come back once it has been removed already?:eek:

I have had several clients in the past like that - all of who have been to the same salon (electric drills, masks, etc, etc) and I have been asked to rebalance/remove and replace their nails. Tried soaking them, but it takes such a long time and I get nowhere, so I end up filing them off, the odour is very distinct (sightly fishy!).

What I wonder as I'm doing them is if this stuff is MMA should I (and my client) be wearing a mask too, and am I right to remove it, or should I refuse and ask them to come back once it has been removed already?:eek:
If someone came to me in the UK with nails they had done in the states i wouldnt send then away to get it removed,

i cant say with out seeing ect what i would do for sure but probably depending on the bond and the damage i might thin it out paint them send em away with solar oil and then do the same again the next week and the next until it was gone... maybe 5 or 6 weeks I would then do a new set if that was needed,
alot of clients want the instant satisfaction on long glorious nails but I would not do this, my personal experience with the local NSS and there EX clients is that there nails are to messed up for me to apply product to! with out lifting and all sorts of complications !
so I find the oil based manicures , oil home care and the repeated thining alot more successful.

if the client wanted the instant nails they can go back to an NSS who doesn't care for there natural nails, the fact they have come to you hopefully says they want better.

These thoughts had passed through my head as well, and the smell was similiar to your description.

I did briefly think about asking her to come back after they had been removed but didn't want to risk sending a potential customer away.

They could of been a buff off gel and TBH with your inexperience within the industry (and myself) I would be slightly inclined to say untill you understood or ecperienced actually reoving a gel nail hard/soft,,,dif systems give dif smell let alone if tech has mixed systems :cry:

I had a lady the other day a regular whom had a gel nail applied whilst away (jessica,,apparently) and well it stank,, was very fumey and hard to remove, as opposes to my usual L&P which I am used to.

I use an Efile but I was trained well and use great products,,,,I also know many techs whom are of ethnic minority whom are british and use efiles masks like myself yet this does not mean they are NSS,,, or using cheap products,,,,many are very very talented.

xxxxx

They could of been a buff off gel and TBH with your inexperience within the industry (and myself) I would be slightly inclined to say untill you understood or ecperienced actually reoving a gel nail hard/soft,,,dif systems give dif smell let alone if tech has mixed systems :cry:

I had a lady the other day a regular whom had a gel nail applied whilst away (jessica,,apparently) and well it stank,, was very fumey and hard to remove, as opposes to my usual L&P which I am used to.

I use an Efile but I was trained well and use great products,,,,I also know many techs whom are of ethnic minority whom are british and use efiles masks like myself yet this does not mean they are NSS,,, or using cheap products,,,,many are very very talented.

xxxxx

Totally agree that the ethnic should not be an issue with this subject, however the language barrier should be. As far as I understand she had no consultation re: allergies for example so that because a problem within any industry.

Totally admire those using efiles well, one day I may try them as I can now see where they must certainly save volumes of time but in the meantime it looks like it pure muscle power for me :):eek:

Sounds like MMA to me, maybe I've seen too many 20/20 specials on this sort of thing but yeah MMA reeks coming off and adheres like *swear* But personally I'd get the crap off of her nails however you can but safely and put good stuff on em!

Sounds like MMA to me, maybe I've seen too many 20/20 specials on this sort of thing but yeah MMA reeks coming off and adheres like *swear* But personally I'd get the crap off of her nails however you can but safely and put good stuff on em!

It took ages but I got it off and put Brisa gel on them instead. It was certainly a learning curve and gave me a good bit of file control practice :eek: and she even got a complimentary cuppa in there as well:)

Latest posts

Back