27 and living with the parents

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kee

Reaction score
So I'm 27 and a half and still living at home.

I really want to move out and stand on my own two feet and get my independence back.
Iv moved before
And was renting with an ex. He helped loads however I don't want to rely on a man to move out. I had a stable job with the council then.
Now I work 4 days week in a salon and don't have a contract.
I have no friends that would want to rent with me as they have all have partners. I don't feel my beauty job is stable enough to be able to rent and I wouldn't be able to afford
It.

Have no idea if there is any help or information available.

If anyone has any advice I would be extremely grateful.

Hey :)
I haven't really any advice to offer you, but I'm in the same position. 27 and had to move home. I've moved out twice and moved back twice. I'm lucky that my mum and dad like having me back and not in the position to move out but even if I was on the wages I earn it just wouldn't be possible on my own. I'm dubious about living with friends again after past experiences so here I am. Do you get on with your parents? Xx

When I was 23 I found a house share ad in the paper. It was to rent a room, I didn't have to pay any deposit and the bills were included in the price. There was no contract to sign, I just had to give one months notice.

I moved in with two complete strangers (female uni students) and it worked out really well. I made new friends and had my independence.

Perhaps something like this could be an option for you?

You live in London, you don't need people to move in with friend wise. Rent a room in a house share and make some new friends :) Perfectly common thing for my London friends and ex work mates to do :) Good luck!

I get on well with my parents but Its not the same. It was better when I had moved out as we had quality time together.
I didn't think of renting a room. This sounds good although I'd worry if we would all get along.
Thinking about it I'd have to save up to give a months notice as my boss just drops people like that ".

It's defo something to think about so thank you for your advice ladies.
I never thought I'd rent again as its more expensive n feels like throwing money down the drain but this may be the only option. X

Stay with Mum & Dad. Thank them and save like mad x (be wise) Age is just a number. You have plenty of time. X

Stay with Mum & Dad. Thank them and save like mad x (be wise) Age is just a number. You have plenty of time. X

Agree with this, if you start renting its harder to save for your own place, in a few years you could be paying 700 every month to pay your own mortgage rather than someone else's!

if you can afford rent and bills put that money away every month and stat with your folks

Good luck

I'm almost 29 and living with my parents so don't worry! My boyfriend is also living with us too as we have been saving to buy a house. A few of my friends wish they could do the same to save but they can't so we think we are lucky. Save as much as you can while you are with your parents and make the most of it.

I want to move out aswel but I can't afford it at the moment. I would rather save up then pay someone rent. I'm lucky that I get on so well with my family I do love living here but I would love my own place.
I saw yesterday the amount of young adults living with their parents has risen to 3 1/2million!!!

I'm 29 going to be 30 this year and I still live at home. I was meant to move out end of this year with ex but obviously he's now my ex so isn't going to happen! I've just started out in the mobile beauty business 6 months ago so my incoming is not great! I'm going to be renting a room soon so fingers crossed this will help make more money. Until then I have no other choice but to stay put! My mum and dad are great and very supportive of what I do. But I do understand where your coming from coz having your own independence is blissful.
Good luck!

I am 33 and I'm at home. I moved home a year or so ago when my landlady sold the flat and although I was bummed, it's meant that I've been able to save up enough to do the training I wanted to do and do up our summer house into a home salon.

I moved out at 22 and by the time I moved home 2 years later I was in terrible debt. It took me years to get out of debt and it was a horrible experience. I moved out again when I was about your age. And I loved having my own place. I would love my own place now still but I won't lie, it's great actually having the money to go on holiday / buy stuff, rather than spending it all on bills and rent.

I am lucky that I get on with my parents really well.

Completely agree with all the comments above. I am 28 and also at home(bf with me too), make the most of it and SAVE. Like someone else said, once you rent, you may struggle to save enough to buy, save while you can. It will all work out when its meant to x

Me and boyfriend moved out last August and managed to stick it out until December, it was so hard! I loved having my own space but we were always struggling for money, could never afford to go anywhere or do anything, we were arguing over silly things. So we moved in with my grandparents, they have a dorma bungalow so we have the upstairs to ourself so still plenty of privacy. Plus they are away alot on holiday.
We are a me to save money ready for moving abroad later on this summer and when the time is right and we both work more hours we will look at moving out. I don't think there is an age limit on moving out I think you should do what's right for you :)

Thank u everyone you have made me feel so much better. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My clients make it worse asking when I'm going to meet someone and settle down and move out. One client even told me I better hurry up and have babies as my eggs will try up lol. I don't listen to clients as such. I have my own mind. It's just wen at least 10 of them mention it its hard not to think about. If it was that easy though I would.

I have been a bit silly with my money and waste it so I'm going to bare in mind what everyone has said and try and save.

I don't mean to come across as negative. I'm very grateful for everything I have and know I'm luckier than others.

I'm 33 this year & have been back with my parents for nearly 3 years.

At times it is hard, but certainly have benefits like a doting father who brings me a cuppa in the mornings when I'm off, but then has downsides as on the RARE occasion I have a bf I wouldn't be able to bring him home to stay as my folks are very traditional & wouldn't allow it !!

I figured I'd have to earn £25k to get a nice place to rent on my own & £40k to get a mortgage on my own ....... Or meet a millionaire !!

I'd love to meet, move in, marry & have kids with some nice bloke but no matter what I do or don't do, I've still not met him ....... If I haven't in the next 3 years I'll be looking at other options to have kids as I don't want to give up my chance of being a mum just cause I can't find a bloke to be with !!

It's hard isn't it. It makes me a bit annoyed that I work so hard and willing to do (almost) any job, nothing is below me, yet we would still need to earn so much to get a foot on the ladder.
I don't wana just settle for any Tom, dick or Harry.

Whoops didn't mean to reply then.
Iv also been told it will b hard to have children and may take some time.
I no I'm not past it yet and there is still time.

I would also like to foster but without a house that's impossible.

I'm lucky in the sense that I'm allowed boyfriends back.
I just don't go out often to meet anyone.
X

If you find it hard to save ask your folks to bank it, when you realise how much you've saved you will do your yourself

I'm 33 this year & have been back with my parents for nearly 3 years.

At times it is hard, but certainly have benefits like a doting father who brings me a cuppa in the mornings...

Dads are the best. Mine clears my car off in the morning when it's iced up. He really dotes on his girls (me and mum).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

My clients make it worse asking when I'm going to meet someone and settle down and move out. One client even told me I better hurry up and have babies as my eggs will try up lol.
Oh i feel ya here. I get this all the time, mainly from family. The stunned look of horror when i tell them i don't want kids is often pretty funny.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back