3 tips for clients and hairstylists alike.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad1984

Reaction score
I recently wrote this article for my website after a bad hairdressing experience. I'd love to know what you all think of my thoughts... :)

Being an ex-hairstylist I’m rather picky about the kind of service I receive when I get my hair cut. Ultimately a good hair cut is what I’m paying for but that alone doesn’t excuse unprofessionalism and poor working ethics. It’s not uncommon for stylists/technicians to become lazy with their work, taking short cuts and doing the bare minimum of what’s required. How do I know this? After eight years working for a top London salon I’ve developed a sharp eye for detail and can easily spot an unprofessional, short-cutting hairstylist, and unfortunately there is a fair few of them!

Tip 1: If I could give only one word of advice to anyone visiting a new hair salon, it would be to greet your new hairstylist with a handshake. A firm shake suggests confidence and competence, a soft, limp handshake could suggest the opposite.

Tip 2: The first few minutes of meeting your new stylist are crucial! During the initial consultation the stylist should ask some key questions in helping them understand what you require. Firstly ‘What would you like?” – If you’re not asked this don’t proceed any further, get out of the chair and run! “How long has it been since your last haircut?” – From this the stylist should be able to understand how the hair grows and what improvements may be needed to improve longevity and ease of care. Before scissors are put to hair make sure both you and your stylist are on the same page, if you’re unsure they know what you want don’t hesitate to explain in more depth. Personally I think the hair consultation should continue through until the finishing products are applied. Don’t feel you can’t ask questions once the the stylist starts snipping away, it’s not too late!

Tip 3: Experience doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get the best cut possible, it’s not rare that the cheaper, less experienced stylists will produce a much better hair cut compared to their busier, more senior colleagues. Just because someone’s a ‘Style Director’ with 20 years of experience and charging £80 for a hair cut doesn’t guarantee you with the cut of your dreams. Often the newer qualified stylists produce much better work as they are less busy and have time to work more precisely.

Last edited:
the only point i feel has constructive validity is point two. . .
point one is far too general with regards to a weak handshake meaning an underconfident hairdresser. . .
and point three over generalises also. . .what may be true to one style director is certainly not to others. .. and same applies to a new stylist im afraid
but point 2 is spot on. . :)

the only point i feel has constructive validity is point two. . .
point one is far too general with regards to a weak handshake meaning an underconfident hairdresser. . .
and point three over generalises also. . .what may be true to one style director is certainly not to others. .. and same applies to a new stylist im afraid
but point 2 is spot on. . :)

People by me wouldn't come back if I shook their hand!! It might work in London but not by me!! Lol and scotty yes I agree with both your points.

I think the hand shake is more of a guy thing actually to be honest. :) Thanks guys, I appreciate you're feedback though! :)

I think the hand shake is more of a guy thing actually to be honest. :) Thanks guys, I appreciate you're feedback though! :)

My guys prefer a hug and kiss on the cheek! Lol if you get me!

I don't do handshaking. Am a ratty little sh*t, so I don't let clients touch me!!

Point 2 is ok, but could go further in describing a good consultation.

Point 3 is highly debatable, and I agree with Scotty and Bluerinse

I don't do handshaking. Am a ratty little sh*t, so I don't let clients touch me!!

Point 2 is ok, but could go further in describing a good consultation.

Point 3 is highly debatable, and I agree with Scotty and Bluerinse

Exactly that..... There's only a certain amount of people that appreciate a hand shake anyway maybe its an era thing?????

I totally agree with point 2 and 3, I was nodding like a nodding dog on a parcel shelf of a sports car driving up an unmade road, as I read! If you catch my drift (-;

aye im a guy but i think your right, i agree with persi to im a bit uncooth when it come to clients touching me HAHAHAHA. . .i think it makes it a bit formal hand shaking, when i agree it should be proffessional it should also be relaxed.

Latest posts

Back