3 year old child with Shellac!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhiannon

Reaction score
Just been looking through Facebook and saw a nail tech near me who does kids nails parties and does shellac on 3 year olds! I think that's a little young for shellac surely at that age normal polish is fine!

Just been looking through Facebook and saw a nail tech near me who does kids nails parties and does shellac on 3 year olds! I think that's a little young for shellac surely at that age normal polish is fine!

3??? That's shocking ! X

Omg! Reeeeeally! What ever next!

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Cannot believe that! Very irresponsible.

I wouldn't even want to do normal polish on kiddies that young . . . they have their fingers in their mouths all the time . . . I would only be happy using one of those special peel off little girl polishes from somewhere like Avon which are totally non toxic

Try acrylic nails on a 3 year old.

An unqualified and uninsured woman offers nails for £2.50 in my area and was proud to show off her latest set which was on her 3 year old girl. She couldn't see the problem with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I completely agree. I wouldn't want my kids (when I have some) having shellac let alone normal polish. It's just not necessary at that age. Some people will do anything for money X

Well pampered princesses are becoming more and more and they learn this from their parents who r so caught up with themselves they just let their kids do what they want instead if saying no and dealing with a tantrum. My one friend who is actually a therapist. Once she sold salon after having kids now took her 3 ur old to salon to have same as her nails bcoz the kid t wanted to be the same. However I do think out of all the systems if it had to go on to kid shellac is safest as no buffing and also relatively easy to remove. However I am dead against it myself and have lots a few clients from saying no.

Beauty at your finger tips!

My daughters had her nails done by my technician a few times since she turned three . Not shellac just normal polish glitter and art. Its not because I'm trying her to be anything. She's always been a real girly girl and lives all that stuff. Her sister is polar opposite and wants to be stuck in mud.

I have voiced my opinion on the treatment of young children many times. I don't disagree with girls wanting pretty nails, its in our nature but please paint your kids nails yourselves, they will always remember the times you spent together no matter how crappy of a painter you are :)
From a business perspective, I refuse to take young children as it's a waste of time and essentially a waste of money, there is no profit.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

My daughter's 3 (four next week) and has been having her nails painted since she was two. She saw me doing it, saw her older sister with painted nails and is a proper girly girl.

Im not one for judging other peoples parenting skills but I personally I don't see the need for shellac on someone so young. If they show an interest in it, a child's type nail polish should suffice. Shellac is taking it a bit too far.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I dont see a problem with painting a 3 yr old girls nails, my sister is almost 3 and she always has her fingers and toes polished. Shes a girl, its natural, she wants it done and shes not forced into.

I also dont see a problem with a three year old having shellac. Everyone goes on about how it does no damage and its not harmful so whats the problem. Extentions however i do see the problem.

I have a 3 year old who loves getting her nails painted with polish, she has kiddie stuff she does on me but I often use proper stuff on her although it just perks off.

I wouldn't do shellac, I wouldn't be insured, It wouldn't last and she most defo would not sit still for 6 x 2mins cure time!

Xxxxx

I paint my twin girls nails on a occasion which has been when they've seen me doing my own, or when I have something really sparkley on mine, and it's just a quick once over each nail, I wouldn't dream of using anything like shellac on them, children's skin are just too precious and sensitive. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

There is a lady in my area who does shellac on children as young as you and I think it's sick!
I don't see much of a problem with children wearing normal polish for a special occasion or having a little pamper day though.

I was in a salon once and this little girl was getting her nails painted and flipped out wanting to get her nails under the lamp, so the technician put her nails under the lamp and DIDN'T turn it on and the kid had no clue, she just wanted to be like her mummy so I didn't find that bad really cause it was make believe but kids switch on fast so I wouldn't even risk it lol.

When I was in London though I went past a salon where down stairs was a normal salon and upstairs was a children's beauty salon and they did princess parties and organic face masks the lot (nothing harmful) and I thought it was such a cute idea :) xx

I think this is a terrible idea. I hate the idea of parents making their kids into mini me's. :irked:

I think this is a terrible idea. I hate the idea of parents making their kids into mini me's. :irked:

That is so wrong!! Its not the parents turning them into mini me's, its the child wanting to do what mummy does. I agree completly if the child was being forced into certain things but denying a child of gender specific things is just stupid and using the mini me excuss is silly. Its nail polish for crying out loud

So if a little girl wanted her nails painted she shouldnt be allowed to cause her mum does. Or jewlery, or dress ups.

Same goes for boys, my son is 5 and gets his hair cut the same way daddy does because he looks up to his dad and wants to be like him. Im not going to say no because then he is a mini me.

If its not causing any harm to the child, then i say why not, but each to thier own

Gel Polish is not a product I recommend and/or offer as a service on children, not so much for a moral reason - for choice of a better word - but more for safety reasons, such as childs nails are different to adults, in most cases they wont be mature enough to follow aftercare advice, childs nails are generally thinner than adults, their activity level is different, effecting longevity/wear and if the child picks or bites at their nails or the product, it could either be ingested or cause damage to their nails. Also I have a concern about the childs exposure to chemicals in the removal process.

I was asked by a client about having Gel Polish applied to their child, as their child was taken by another adult to a NSS where "Shellac" was applied to her 10 year old. Not as bad as a 3 year old but still, too young I reckon. They peeled off in 2 days anyway, waste of time and money.

I was curious for an official recommendation from my supplier, so I contacted them for their recommendation(s) about the suitability of Gel Polish on a child, on such young nails...what age do they recommend Gel Polish may be suitable?

Their response:

"Hi Rhyanna,
...Please see below what our regulatory person has written below regarding your question about Gel Polish on children.

"I completely agree with the tech on the reasons why it is not appropriate on children, especially the fact that nails are thinner and softer, and the amount of time a child's softer, more sensitive skin will need to be exposed to acetone. There are a few other reasons listed below (as noted by Columbia University school of nursing). If I had to pick an age, I might say 12-13 (well into puberty when the difference between adults and children is less prevalent).

Children have thinner skin than adults. Their epidermis is thinner and under-keratinised, compared to adults. As a result, children are at risk for increased absorption of agents that can be absorbed through the skin.

Children have higher respiratory rates than adults. Higher respirator rates lead to proportionately higher minute volumes. As a result, children may be more susceptible to agents absorbed through the pulmonary route than adults with the same exposure.

Children may also respond more rapidly to such agents."

That's more than enough reason for me not to offer and I just refer to this info when Mums ask about Gel Polish for their little one. I agree with one of the other techs, I only offer Gel Polish, enhancements and most other beauty treatments on girls 17 years and over, only with parental consent and the adult must be present during the treatment.

Hope this provides a bit more info :)

That is so wrong!! Its not the parents turning them into mini me's, its the child wanting to do what mummy does. I agree completly if the child was being forced into certain things but denying a child of gender specific things is just stupid and using the mini me excuss is silly. Its nail polish for crying out loud

So if a little girl wanted her nails painted she shouldnt be allowed to cause her mum does. Or jewlery, or dress ups.

Same goes for boys, my son is 5 and gets his hair cut the same way daddy does because he looks up to his dad and wants to be like him. Im not going to say no because then he is a mini me.

If its not causing any harm to the child, then i say why not, but each to thier own

Nah I hate the idea of it end of. Always have always will, that's just what I believe in, and god dammit if that makes me me silly...........well I just guess that I am silly.

I've never liked little girls wearing make up, etc, wearing non suitable clothes for their age etc.
However I think if they are wearing "kiddy make up" which is aimed at the kids for playing dress up that's cool but its when kids start having proper adult treatments professionally done then I think that's a bit bonkers.

Also come to think of it my boys have never wanted their hair cut like their dad! I remember when Ben was about 4 and he wanted to wear my mascara lol but I said no hee hee.

Children always want to do lots of things but its up to the parent to set appropriate boundaries and not to give in at every opportunity.

But that's just me plus I wont do nail treatments on anybody under 14 and no extensions under 16.

Last edited:
I agree Claire, what happened to age appropriateness?
Same, I dont want to do treatments on children either, good on you for sticking to your thoughts on this too :)

There are lots of good reasons not to do this (not the least of them being that it is contrary to the manufacturers' instructions), some reasons are physiological, some ethical, and some behavioral. For example, I find it hard to believe that a 3 year old could sit still under the lamp for 8 two-minute curing periods. That alone would make we wonder if you'd be able to get a proper cure on a child.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back