55/66 on dark strawberry blonde virgin hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanm

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Client in next week who has dark strawberry blonde virgin hair just past her shoulders, she would like black on roots and mid lengths then a bright purple on the bottom. I am planning on using wella 55/66 + wella 10 with 40vol to achieve the brightest purple I can without lightning first as I cannot afford for this colour to fade to much as my client is not a one for wanting to come back and top up if this fades quickly. Just checking this sounds ok or would anyone suggest something different?

Last edited:
55/66 is pretty, that's Wella correct? I guess that's going to be the best for her if she isn't going to maintain it as much but it's going to be darker than brighter..!

55/66 is pretty, that's Wella correct? I guess that's going to be the best for her if she isn't going to maintain it as much but it's going to be darker than brighter..!
Yes Claire it's Wella and I just know she will not want to be back to top up if it fades so I was thinking to use the wella 10 and mix all with 40vol to get as bright as I can what do you think?

Does she have any grey? Are you using kolesten or color touch?

So than are you going to mix it with pastel? You don't want to put a permanent on someone who doesn't have grey unless your going to dilute it a little with pastel developer!

A level 7/8 wanting a level 1/2? Thats going to look horrendous when her roots grow out. I really would think twice about doing this colour, try and convince her to have 55/66 all over or a lighter base on the roots, because if she doesnt do maintenance very well its really going to look awful going that dark.

She is a young girl and she has her mind set on the black from roots to mid lengths and the brightest purple I can do on the ends, that is why I was thinking 55/66 permanent colour and thinking 40 vol so I could get it bright as I could my first thought was lifting the ends then putting a semi permanent on but I just know if it fades within a week or two she will not want that so I was thinking I know she will have a root but at least people will know that is her fault and nothing to do with what I had done

Last edited:
She is a young girl and she has her mind set on the black from roots to mid lengths and the brightest purple I can do on the ends, that is why I was thinking 55/66 permanent colour and thinking 40 vol so I could get it bright as I could

55/66 with 40vol on a base 8 will still only give you a 55/66. You're better pre-lightening her ends and using a direct dye.

55/66 with 40vol on a base 8 will still only give you a 55/66. You're better pre-lightening her ends and using a direct dye.
Thanks cams97 I would appreciate any advice on bright purple formulas you have that will hopefully not fade after a few washes

Thanks cams97 I would appreciate any advice on bright purple formulas you have that will hopefully not fade after a few washes

Any bright colour fades after a few washes. The client needs to be doing proper aftercare and I'd recommend giving her a direct dye and conditioner cocktail to use when she washes.

Any bright colour fades after a few washes. The client needs to be doing proper aftercare and I'd recommend giving her a direct dye and conditioner cocktail to use when she washes.
Thank you you are right, thanks for all replies something else to keep me awake tonight lol

Yes Claire it's Wella and I just know she will not want to be back to top up if it fades so I was thinking to use the wella 10 and mix all with 40vol to get as bright as I can what do you think?

If she wants a high contrast look she needs to maintain it .If she won't commit I wouldn't do it.

She's going to have regrowth at the scalp that will need to be maintained. That line of demarcation will look tragic with a level 1 or 2 and she probably has a warm complexion. Think about the way it will look in 3 months with strawberry blond roots level 2 mids and a faded purple on the ends.

Also consider what its going to be like when she comes in and says she doesn't want the permanent black anymore and what a project that will be to get out.

If she wants to be low / no maintenance I would go with color touch and not so dark. A 4 will still be very dark on her.
As far as the purple, I would prelighten to yellow and put Pravana Vivids purple over it, its very bright and lasts pretty well compared to other purples.

If she wants a high contrast look she needs to maintain it .If she won't commit I wouldn't do it.

She's going to have regrowth at the scalp that will need to be maintained. That line of demarcation will look tragic with a level 1 or 2 and she probably has a warm complexion. Think about the way it will look in 3 months with strawberry blond roots level 2 mids and a faded purple on the ends.

Also consider what its going to be like when she comes in and says she doesn't want the permanent black anymore and what a project that will be to get out.

If she wants to be low / no maintenance I would go with color touch and not so dark. A 4 will still be very dark on her.
As far as the purple, I would prelighten to yellow and put Pravana Vivids purple over it, its very bright and lasts pretty well compared to other purples.
I feel like Pravana doesn't stay well at all! It tends to stay for you? It washed out like the second wash my salon also uses Joico color now, what do you do to prep the hair for Pravana to make it stay?

I feel like Pravana doesn't stay well at all! It tends to stay for you? It washed out like the second wash my salon also uses Joico color now, what do you do to prep the hair for Pravana to make it stay?

I always towel dry the hair very well.
Let it sit the full 20 minutes.
I pour out a small bottle of conditioner into a color bowl and mix with some pravana put it back in and send them home with a purple depositing conditioning treatment.
I have found that way it fades to be really pretty. I almost like it more than the original application.

I always thought Pravana had to be applied on absolute dry hair and it had to stay on a full 40 minutes.. I guess it is with you when they do it at home too right?

Latest posts

Back