A bleeding toe problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE:

Spoke to my client today as she was due in for her re-shellac tomorrow but hadn't got back to me about what her doctor had said.

She said that she hasn't been, that her doctors are next to useless, so has just left it. That she was going to text me to say to postpone her appointment until next week or the week after as it was still quite sore.

I said that my concern was that it bled for a number of days and is still sore over a week later, so clearly she has hurt it quite badly. That I really felt she needed it looked at, useless doctors or not and obviously I don't want to do something to make it worse. I also said that I wouldn't be happy to go ahead without the ok from a GP or podiatrist.

She said that it was fine, she promises and thank you for my concern but it will really be ok and that she never goes to the doctor, they're useless and she can never get an appointment anyway. She wants to book in for 2 weeks time by which time all will be well, she says.

I'm going to book her in but have said if I look at it and am in any doubt as to whether I feel it's ok to touch and work on, that I won't be. I will gladly do all other toes but we will have to see how it is in 2 weeks time.

A friend of hers is also a client of mine. She was in yesterday asking if I'd seen my other clients toe yet and that she's sure she's going to actually lose the nail it bled so much. She stubbed her toe on something which is how she got the injury. My client says it's only sore because she tried to pull some of the nail off and tried to pull the Shellac off.

I didn't comment back as obviously I follow client confidentiality and just replied saying poor xxxx hope it's better soon and no I hadn't seen it yet.

There won't be any open wounds by then I'm sure but if black all over should I refuse? Even if she says it's not sore?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Bump

Hmm i'd still be inclined to leave it if its black or looks like it may be hanging by a thread, if she gets an infection in it you might get the blame, maybe another option would be to shellac all the others and just paint the poorly toe with normal polish as close to a similar colour as you can, then at least you know there wont be any adverse reactions and it wont be so problematic when it comes to removal again if the toenail is still there by then.

Hmm i'd still be inclined to leave it if its black or looks like it may be hanging by a thread, if she gets an infection in it you might get the blame, maybe another option would be to shellac all the others and just paint the poorly toe with normal polish as close to a similar colour as you can, then at least you know there wont be any adverse reactions and it wont be so problematic when it comes to removal again if the toenail is still there by then.

Problem is, is she usually has Rockstar. I have said that if any doubt then I won't be working on it. If it looks awful and still hurts then I won't be touching it

Well one cant force ones customers to the Dr (more's the pity:D), but I agree with you I wouldnt touch it if there is any sign of injury or soreness (which it sounds like there may well be), and if she complains about not having colour on that nail I would just stick to my guns and say sorry my insurance wont let me.

Well one cant force ones customers to the Dr (more's the pity:D), but I agree with you I wouldnt touch it if there is any sign of injury or soreness (which it sounds like there may well be), and if she complains about not having colour on that nail I would just stick to my guns and say sorry my insurance wont let me.

I definitely will be sticking to my guns. I can't believe she was actually calling ME to ask me to look at it. I originally thought she asked me to see if I could remove the Shellac so she could get it looked at, not have me deal with the whole thing and diagnose/solve the problem. Honestly, some people think we ARE doctors sometimes :rolleyes:

I think what you have done so far has been great and probably what I would have done.

However, if she comes in in two weeks I would chat to her. If the toe is black I would express my concerns that she may lose the nail and you are a bit wary of doing shellac incase it comes off and she blames the shellac. See how she reacts and tbh I would probably do it if the toe isn't still bleeding or open cuts and things. I've done shellac on people with bruised toes before and the nail has still grew as normal underneath and been fine when the shellac was removed. But their toes weren't bleeding mind.

That's personally what I would do as I think the likelihood that someone can sue you for a toenail falling off is highly unlikely. But you never know!

Last edited:
My son's girlfriend was at the stables in flip flops when a horse stood on her toes, the Dr said that the shellac had saved her nail but advised her to not remove until it had healed and grown out a bit. So she really should see the Dr before you touch it.

I'd write up a disclaimer and get her to sign it, also put a note on her consultation cards too so if there is any comeback then you have her signature that it went ahead under duress ;)

UPDATE:

Spoke to my client today as she was due in for her re-shellac tomorrow but hadn't got back to me about what her doctor had said.

She said that she hasn't been, that her doctors are next to useless, so has just left it. That she was going to text me to say to postpone her appointment until next week or the week after as it was still quite sore.

I said that my concern was that it bled for a number of days and is still sore over a week later, so clearly she has hurt it quite badly. That I really felt she needed it looked at, useless doctors or not and obviously I don't want to do something to make it worse. I also said that I wouldn't be happy to go ahead without the ok from a GP or podiatrist.

She said that it was fine, she promises and thank you for my concern but it will really be ok and that she never goes to the doctor, they're useless and she can never get an appointment anyway. She wants to book in for 2 weeks time by which time all will be well, she says.

I'm going to book her in but have said if I look at it and am in any doubt as to whether I feel it's ok to touch and work on, that I won't be. I will gladly do all other toes but we will have to see how it is in 2 weeks time.

A friend of hers is also a client of mine. She was in yesterday asking if I'd seen my other clients toe yet and that she's sure she's going to actually lose the nail it bled so much. She stubbed her toe on something which is how she got the injury. My client says it's only sore because she tried to pull some of the nail off and tried to pull the Shellac off.

I didn't comment back as obviously I follow client confidentiality and just replied saying poor xxxx hope it's better soon and no I hadn't seen it yet.

There won't be any open wounds by then I'm sure but if black all over should I refuse? Even if she says it's not sore?

that's the part that would have me on edge Clare, anyone who dismisses ALL her doctors as useless seems to me to be a bit of a know it all and i would refuse to go near it untill she has seen and been cleared by a Dr or Podiatrist to cover myself.

Thanks ladies. I've expressed my concern to her a few times now and have now recommended GP visit twice, she's not having any of it. Just says it'll be fine, it'll be grand, she promises. Well sorry, but that's not enough for me if I'm in any doubt that her toe is still in a bad condition in 2 weeks time.

She already had very brittle, hollow sounding, yellowing big toe nails, I think this will have finished it off! I'll do the rest for her if she'd like but if totally black or looking remotely like she'll lose it, then until I have confirmation from GP or podiatrist, then I'm not touching it. Think I will have to be firm and insist confirmation is in writing too.

I'd write up a disclaimer and get her to sign it, also put a note on her consultation cards too so if there is any comeback then you have her signature that it went ahead under duress ;)

As far as I know, disclaimers hold no ground and not worth the paper they're written on. This wouldn't stand up in court should she sue me (wow, say that sentence after a few vinos :lol: )

I just need to be firm I think. If I'm not happy, I won't be doing it. If I lose her as a client then so be it, would rather lose £28 every 4 weeks than lose my business all together! ;)

Latest posts

Back