A bleeding toe problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
And I mean in an actual bleeding toe problem, not bleeding in a blasphemy sense :)

I received a text message on Sunday from a regular client that comes to me for Rockstars every 3-4 weeks. The message said if I could please call her if I had a minute as she had somehow hurt her toe, it wouldn't stop bleeding and she didn't know what to do.

I didn't have an opportunity on Sunday to call her, so just text her back on Monday morning (knew she was at work and wouldn't be able to take a call, hence the text) and just explained that my phone is switched off on the weekends (little white lie but sounded better than I was too busy) and that this wasn't something I would really be able to help with as this was really for a doctor or nurse to take a look at.

She agreed but said it was more that no-one can see what she has done as the Shellac prevents this. She can't recall how she hurt it or on what but it was still bleeding on Monday.

She is due to return to me for a re-shellac next Wednesday. So obviously my concern now is that I don't know what I may be facing when it comes to removing her Shellac. If she has an open wound under the Shellac well a) I shouldn't be touching it and b) the acetone could sting like crazy and I could end up making it worse.

So I'm a bit stumped on what to do as I've never come up against this type of problem before. How do I know if all is well under the Shellac?

Any advice would be greatly received, should I remove and re-do all but that big toe or should I recommend we postpone her appointment for another week or so to ensure whatever is going on has healed allowing me to remove safely?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

So I'm guessing with 60 views and no replies I'm not the only one who's a bit stumped on what to do :lol:

Well I have only just seen this...so it is my first read ;)

I would treat it as I would a fingernail and I would want to take the Shellac off to see the damage. Wrapping it with an acetone pad should not do any harm, it may nip a bit initially but will numb up.
Only once you see it will you know how to proceed.

If it were me I would ask her to postpone, to make sure their is no broken skin. If it was bleeding like she said why did she not see her GP or go to her small injury clinic?

The other side of the coin is to soak off to see what has heppend? I find it kinda of strange that it was bleeding that much but she can't recall how it happened?

Just my thoughts!

Lilian x

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

Perfect world:
She's go to the Doctors'. They would give her a note to say removal would be okay to perform. You remove. She goes back and they examine.

I can't really see that happening!

I'm not properly medically trained, although I am a 'first responder', but I have to state you can't take this as medical advice... Nor should YOU give her any medical advice to your client.

What I would personally do if my toe was bleeding and I couldn't see what was going on:

I'd soak the toe in TCP (my favourite antiseptic) and then bandage the toe tightly to aid heeling by first intention. I'd do this a few times a day and change the dressing. Once it had not bled for a few days I would then go to the salon for removal. Then onto the doctors' so they can check for infection.

Again, this isn't medical advice...

Hmm I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum that you can use Vaseline as a barrier when using acetone, I did try this on a client that had chewed at the skin around here finger and made it very sore, so before I removed the gel polish I dabbed a tiny amount over the open skin and then wrapped and it didn't sting at all. I guess it may be hard to know what to do until you can actually take a look at it.

Try find out a little more about the bleeding toe! Lol
Has the toe nail lifted up and blood coming out between the toe nail and skin?
Or has she cut the skin around the toe and that is bleeding?
Either way you will be able to get the CND Shellac off safely and with minimal pain to the client!!

Thanks for your replies. Am guessing on removal it's not going to be in a good way if it bled as much as she said. So in the instance that say her toe nail is completely black from bleeding underneath, I would refuse to re-shellac until healed? Or if it's not sore, is it ok to go ahead? She is one of my older clients and is a Rockstar addict, so have the feeling she'll still want the rest re done no matter what!

I damaged my big toe years ago, well, I say I did but I woke up from an operation with a completely black toe (operation was on my tummy!) and no one could tell us what had happened. I nearly lost the nail but in the end it grew out and is now ok, just yellow and a bit brittle. But it took almost a year to go :eek:

Would love some advice on what I might find under there and how to deal with it please.

My client has just called again to ask if she can come up to me tonight to have the shellac removed as her toe is still bleeding and she needs to see what is going on and get to the doctor.

She then changed her mind and said she wanted to just do it herself as its so sore she doesn't really want me to get it off as obviously I have to apply pressure or use OWS to remove the Shellac and she thinks it'll be too sore. She has acetone at home but I've said it may take a while to remove as our professional acetone is stronger and therefore works quicker.

Should I call her back to insist that it's better for me to remove safely? I'm also just worried as its bleeding still.

I would say leave her to it! You've given her the chance to come to you if she was that desparate she'd have come!!
Does she say how much its bleeding? The way she's talking it sounds like she its bleeding loads but it could be hardly anything. The only thing she should do is come to you from and bare it getting it removed then head straight to docs.
Some people just don't listen to advice!!

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Is she a haemophiliac? It's been bleeding for 5 days now?!

i think i'd let her remove it herself, maybe give her a removal pack. she'll be able to remove it herself and will do it in a way that she can tolerate the pain . i wouldn't want to be working on someone who is bleeding anyway , but she may be on warfarin or similiar and should go to a medic straight away , it's going on a long time now.

I'd have nothing to do with it and and send her straight to the Dr. If my toe was bleeding I would ring my Dr to deal with it not my nail tech.

You start putting acetone or anything else on it you dont know what you're going to be doing to it. She sounds a bit daft to have had it bleeding for so long and not have got medical help.

Thanks ladies for all your replies. She has no medical conditions and isn't on any medication (so she tells me anyway!) It is all sounding a bit odd I have to say.

My initial reaction when I received that message on Sunday was that it's a matter for a doctor not me! I'd rather she removed herself, I did explain my concern that as she says it's still bleeding then obviously that prevents me from doing anything as I can't work if there's open wounds and as we don't know what's going on under there, then best she tries to remove herself, get straight to a doctor and inform me on what he or she says as we will more than likely have to postpone next weeks appointment.

I will no doubt update when I hear back from her. Thank you all, not had this ever before, so was hard to know the right advice to give her when I shouldn't really be removing it myself

If my toe was bleeding non-stop for 5 days, I'd have peeled the thing off myself!

But as the others have said. I'd let her do it herself x

Big hugs Hun it must be a horrible situation to be in! I. Sure she will be fine and you've done the right thing

let us know Claire will you?.....

let us know Claire will you?.....

Will do my lovely :wink2: waiting to hear back from her. If I've not heard by Tuesday I'm going to give her a quick call, as she was due for a re-shellac Wednesday. If still bleeding or still open cut or whatever it is that's wrong & hasn't healed, I won't be going ahead with her appointment ;)

Don't touch anyone who bleeds, Claire x

Latest posts

Back