A cheeky request?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One fact that I found interesting and have found to be true 3 or 4 times over the years is that a side effect of Thyroxin is an oily/slippery nail plate. That's why it is so important to have a question about medication on your consultation form. HTH's x

One fact that I found interesting and have found to be true 3 or 4 times over the years is that a side effect of Thyroxin is an oily/slippery nail plate. That's why it is so important to have a question about medication on your consultation form. HTH's x

Ok, something I'm sure I should probably know :confused: what is Thyroxin? :o

Ok, something I'm sure I should probably know :confused: what is Thyroxin? :o

It's a replacement Thyroid hormone medication that you have to take if your own thyroid isn't functioning or has been removed :)

I've been taking thyroid meds for years tho and have never noticed this side effect.

Hope I am not being too thick but would the menopause cause any problems other than the usual hormonal issues, I am asking because nothing was mentioned about it in my training ( but then a lot of things werent) and my target client range is the menopausal woman. It would be good to know if there are any issues or problems documented so I can be best prepared for whatever they throw at me. If it has a range of different problems could we have a thread on that too please.

I have also recently had a few clients on a variety of medications not mentioned in my training manuals, how about a thread or post on which types of medications cause problems and the reasons for it.

Many thanks, looking forward to seeing the science threads regularly, I already love the ones that have been posted

Yes, medication is a big one I'm interested in too, wasn't taught hardly anything at all on this. Would be obviously very beneficial to know this sort of thing inside out

I just want to be in a position (in time I know) that when a client walks in with whatever medical problem or nail problem, including contra-indications of any kind, I can say, ah yes, this is blah blah and yes I can do this or no I can't because....iyswim? That if someone has a particular medical problem, I am able to say how and why it would affect the service I give and why perhaps I can't go through with their treatment should that happen. I don't obviously mean from a diagnosis point of view but from a technicians point of view on how I would or wouldn't work with it.

From "listening" to Envy and Geeg in particular very recently, I have this realisation that I just don't know the half of it and I don't like that. I want to be really confident in myself as a technician and able to recognise things as and when necessary. Plus I just love learning :)

I want the knowledge, I want to be the best I can be and I know I can get that from the amazing people here as well as books etc. I feel very honoured and blessed that we have this resource and am very grateful that this idea may come to light :hug:

I couldn't agree more. I love these sort of threads.
Thanks for starting it .x

Question:

Is it possible to do a sensitivity test for gel (as you do for tinting in hairdressing) & if so how is it best to do one? & how long before.

Last edited:
Bump for Pooh8bear's question

I am personally divided about sensitivity tests..,

Do I want to know if a client has a pre existing allergy: yes

Do I want to over expose the client to a known sensitizer (which WILL over time lead to an allergy): no

Gel (or any other nail product ingredient that is known to cause irritation) will never cause allergy if only applied to the nail plate (which being dead cells can not react)

The trouble only occurs if a: a client is already sensitive or b: you are overexposing them...

In summary no, I don't believe you should not be patch testing to establish an allergy ...

Hths

Ps. I do have on my list the topic of gel chemistry which should highlight more about the allergens involved

In summary no, I don't believe you should not be patch testing to establish an allergy ...

Hths
Thank you Envy for replying.

Sorry to be a pain but I am slightly confused by the treble negative :)

Does that mean you think we should be patch testing to see if a client is already sensitive to the gel we are about to use.... or not?

Also how long in advance?

Wow that was a case of shocking proof reading late at night...

No I do not believe nail products should be patch tested. By applying them to skin it is actually over exposure IMO..

Hope that is clearer. Allen

Wow that was a case of shocking proof reading late at night...

No I do not believe nail products should be patch tested. By applying them to skin it is actually over exposure IMO..

Hope that is clearer. Allen

Crystal....many thanks for confirming.x

Latest posts

Back