A couple of Gelish questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missy1981

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So today I had my first paying client :) my best friend (she insisted she pay me) but I had a few nightmares!

Firstly she has nails that bend downwards as they grow so they were really tricky to paint. Then after using All Dahlia'd Up on her, it just wasn't curing properly in my 18G lamp. When I applied the TIO, the colour was still wet? Could this have been the shape of her nails and the fact they weren't exposed to the light properly? Either that or my coats were too thick perhaps?

Also when applying the colour, it kept shrinking from the free edge and the side walls on all her nails!!! Even though I'd applied foundation all the way to the free edge and dry brushed it.

Could anyone shed some light on why this could be? It's knocked my confidence a little :(

Thanks in advance

Sarah xx

Hi everyone,

So today I had my first paying client :) my best friend (she insisted she pay me) but I had a few nightmares!

Firstly she has nails that bend downwards as they grow so they were really tricky to paint. Then after using All Dahlia'd Up on her, it just wasn't curing properly in my 18G lamp. When I applied the TIO, the colour was still wet? Could this have been the shape of her nails and the fact they weren't exposed to the light properly? Either that or my coats were too thick perhaps?

Also when applying the colour, it kept shrinking from the free edge and the side walls on all her nails!!! Even though I'd applied foundation all the way to the free edge and dry brushed it.

Could anyone shed some light on why this could be? It's knocked my confidence a little :(

Thanks in advance

Sarah xx

Hiya, congrats on your first proper client :)

you will come across nails of all different shapes and sizes and you'll learn to deal with each and every one in time so relax, it probably didn't go as bad as you think.

The colour probably was cured but sometimes you get some colour on the tio brush from the tacky layer. (Don't know if there is a technical term ) I get the same with my all dahliaed up and some reds.

All dahlia-ed up is quite thick anyway so maybe next time try thinner coats and see if that makes a difference (or try it on a colour pop)

If the same thing happens again with regards to shrinkage try flash curing your colour coats and that should stop it.

I wouldn't worry too much though, I'm sure you did a fab job :) xx

Thanks for your kind reply :)

I'm just so used to painting my own nails and I suppose you just get really used to the shape of them. Her nails just seemed so tricky!

I did notice that All Dahlia-ed up was quite thick when I did a colour pop as it wrinkled in the lamp the first time I did it and I had to do it again. I will have to make sure I do really thin coats next time.

She was happy with the nails, so that was good. I just feel panicked that it could have happened on someone new and then it would have been really awkward! Xx

How long is a flash cure for? And do I do it after each individual nail? X

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance

Sarah xx

Congrats!

A few things come to mind. First, I suspect that your base coat was too thick. Thicker base coat means a thicker inhibition layer and the color floats on top instead of attaching to the foundation - so you get shrink back. Second, people with longer nails tend to grab at the base of the lamp - the clench. Make sure she has her hand stretched out and flat in the lamp. Finally, make sure the color coat is warm and well shaken. Some techs warm the polish by placing it under their thigh while they do the prep and base coat. Then shake well and let sit for a minute before applying. HTH!

Last edited:
If the colour wrinkled on a colour pop then it probably was a little too thick.

Id probably do 2 nails then flash cure for 5 or 10 seconds.

I used to get so nervous when I first started but it does get easier I promise 😊 xx

Congrats!

A few things come to mind. First, I suspect that you base coat was too thick. Thicker base coat means a thicker inhibition lair and the color floats on top instead of attaching to the foundation - so you get shrink back. Second, people with longer nails tend to grab at the base of the lamp - the clench. Make sure she has her hand stretched out and flat in the lamp. Finally, make sure the color coat is warm and well shaken. Some techs warm the polish by placing it under their thigh while they do the prep and base coat. Then shake well and let sit for a minute before applying. HTH!

Thank you so much for these tips! :) they are really helpful. I did think perhaps she was clutching the base of the lamp so I asked her to lay her hand flat when I tried to rectify the problem nail. Xx

If the colour wrinkled on a colour pop then it probably was a little too thick.

Id probably do 2 nails then flash cure for 5 or 10 seconds.

I used to get so nervous when I first started but it does get easier I promise 😊 xx

Thank you so much. I will try flash curing next time.

Glad it gets easier :) I was very nervous! Even though she was my friend I was really anxious! Xx

Latest posts

Back