A few airbrush questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelley_d

Reaction score
I first saw airbrush make-up at the Manchester show back in October and really liked the idea of it and am now ready to go ahead and order some and I would like some advice, please :biggrin:

I have looked at the Airbase Pro Package and that comes with training and it seems to include more products than the Luminess air Pro kit, have any of you bought either package and what do you think of it? is the airbase stylus 3 speed?

How easy or difficult is it to master using the airbrush? I saw the demo's on Luminess air site on how to apply airbrush eye shadow, do any of you use this way of applying eye shadow?

When I place my order is there anything else that I should buy that I will need that aren't in the kits?

Its like trying to find the right spray tan gun and lotion all over again, lol :confused:

Thank you. :hug: Shelley X

Don't know if I can totally answer your question but I'm Airbase trained and have used the kit a few times. I find it a bit tricky to get used to but after a little practice you get the hang of it. I have't had the chance to use any other airbrushes and as of yet haven't purchased any kits. Before making a final decision I'd try a few different brands to see which you prefer. Personally I'm not a huge airbrush fan but I know that some people love it.
Hope I've helped a little :)

Don't know if I can totally answer your question but I'm Airbase trained and have used the kit a few times. I find it a bit tricky to get used to but after a little practice you get the hang of it. I have't had the chance to use any other airbrushes and as of yet haven't purchased any kits. Before making a final decision I'd try a few different brands to see which you prefer. Personally I'm not a huge airbrush fan but I know that some people love it.
Hope I've helped a little :)

Thanks for replying. You said that your not a fan, what is it that you don't like?

Shelley X

Hi
I have been saving up for my airbase kit and then my lovely man bought it for me for Christmas. I'm waiting for training in a couple of weeks but couldn't resist a play first!
I've tried it on myself a few times and on my daughter. Apart from not being able to see it going on - it's so fine and beautiful coverage - so far I love it!
Can't wait for training and hoping bronzed will be in stock soon as still waiting for mine missing from kit!
I do bridal and special occasion make up so hoping it will be a big hit with clients! Chose Airbase as best known by general public I feel! X

Just a quick reply to a couple of your questions. Nope, the airbase machine doesn't have multiple speeds but you can get a valve to fit into the compressor hose to vary the psi. Airbase only offer foundation and blushes so no real reason to vary the psi with it anyway. (though I did have a sneaky try on my course at airbrushing the eyes and it worked a treat! )Also the other thing I'd consider getting is the cleaning pot. It's really handy and doubles up as a holder. I'd like the wireless pack but can't afford it at the mo. hope this helps xxx

Just had a look at the Airbase site again and they have reduced price training in Liverpool, which isn't far from me, so I might book on that and see if I like it first and then make my mind up about getting the kit.

Shelley X

Just a quick reply to a couple of your questions. Nope, the airbase machine doesn't have multiple speeds but you can get a valve to fit into the compressor hose to vary the psi. Airbase only offer foundation and blushes so no real reason to vary the psi with it anyway. (though I did have a sneaky try on my course at airbrushing the eyes and it worked a treat! )Also the other thing I'd consider getting is the cleaning pot. It's really handy and doubles up as a holder. I'd like the wireless pack but can't afford it at the mo. hope this helps xxx

Hi hope you don't mind me jumping in , can I ask what you used to airbrush eyes please? I have an airbrush kit and trained with airbase, I have a few different brands of makeup as I like to try everything out was wondering about airbrushing eyes I was told we could do it on the course im thinking that a blush or a darker foundation may be useable for the eyes?
I am getting my kit out today for a little play around..
I do love how the makeup stays out all day long it's good for nights out :)

Hi there, of course I don't mind you asking! I mixed a little 00 foundation with the pink blush and it made a lovely pale pink colour. I just sprayed it gently over the eyelid and crease. I also used 00 foundation to highlight the brow. Bit naughty as the trainer had already said that airbase weren't interested in introducing eyeshadows!!! To the lady interested in Liverpool course, please note that I went to Manchester because they told me that the Liverpool one prob wouldn't go ahead. Just thought I'd warn you xxxx

Oh Shelley just had a thought; the girl I was paired with on the course had the luminess package and said that the products were ok but the pigments were a bit wishy washy meaning that she was using more than she thought she would have to. Perhaps it wouldn't be good value for money if that was the case? Just a thought xxx

Hi hope you don't mind me jumping in , can I ask what you used to airbrush eyes please? I have an airbrush kit and trained with airbase, I have a few different brands of makeup as I like to try everything out was wondering about airbrushing eyes I was told we could do it on the course im thinking that a blush or a darker foundation may be useable for the eyes?
I am getting my kit out today for a little play around..
I do love how the makeup stays out all day long it's good for nights out :)

Luminess have got a offer on their eye shadow colours, most are 1/2 price for the weekend.

Angie, I don't mind if they change me to the Manchester course as that is where I live, I'm booking the Liverpool one because it's a new venue and so much cheaper even after the cost of petrol, so as long as they don't expect me to pay the Manchester full price. I'm also going to treat my daughter to it, she is doing Level 2 beauty, so this will be a nice little extra to add to her CV when she has left college. X :)

I'm not a fan as I find it quite a time consuming process. Having to thoroughly clean it out each time you put a different product or colour in it I feel it really eats into my time when doing a clients make-up I just preferred to use my sponge. I will say though that the Airbase products e.g foundations and primer were really really good.
I haven't had too much time to really use the airbrush as I haven't bought my own so maybe the more I used it the more I'd get used to it and like it but for now I prefer to do clients make-up manually .x

Luminess have got a offer on their eye shadow colours, most are 1/2 price for the weekend.

Angie, I don't mind if they change me to the Manchester course as that is where I live, I'm booking the Liverpool one because it's a new venue and so much cheaper even after the cost of petrol, so as long as they don't expect me to pay the Manchester full price. I'm also going to treat my daughter to it, she is doing Level 2 beauty, so this will be a nice little extra to add to her CV when she has left college. X :)

Thank you I'll have. Little look x

Hello,
I hope you don't mind if I use your thread to ask a question of my own. Has anyone tried the airbrush makeup or has got her airbrush kit?

I really don't know what compressor to get!!

everybody goes mad for airbase so I might get that one.

thank you:lol:

I got my kit at Christmas and have tried it on me and my daughter both with airbrush and manually. The finish is really fine and coverage is amazing. I'm doing course tomorrow so hoping to learn all about it properly.
So far would recommend x

I got my kit at Christmas and have tried it on me and my daughter both with airbrush and manually. The finish is really fine and coverage is amazing. I'm doing course tomorrow so hoping to learn all about it properly.
So far would recommend x

Hi Jolie69. I did my training today as well, where did you do yours? Mine was in Liverpool at diva beauty.

I just need to get my kit now, the airbase one offers a really good rang of foundation colors and I personally like the coverage that you get from it, it feels really light which I love.

Shelley X

Will the Luminess air make-up work in the Airbase spray gun? X :)

Last edited:
I bought the luminess air and have to say I didnt get on with it at all, even after lots of practise, the gun would either not spray anything out and with the slightest movement would then spurt out blobs so I sent it back. It possibly was just my gun was faulty but I did nt want to try again as I did nt like the foundation either, plus they also sell it on a tv shopping channel so I'm not convinced.

I bought the luminess air and have to say I didnt get on with it at all, even after lots of practise, the gun would either not spray anything out and with the slightest movement would then spurt out blobs so I sent it back. It possibly was just my gun was faulty but I did nt want to try again as I did nt like the foundation either, plus they also sell it on a tv shopping channel so I'm not convinced.

I think I will go with Airbase kit, just wish I was going to the show at weekend so as I could get the free case. Luminess air do eye shadows and I was just wondering if they will work in the Airbase stylus.

Shelley X :)

If they are designed for airbrush, they should be fine in the airbase gun. Our instructor actually used a Temptu white to lighten for really pale girls in my airbase training, because Airbase hadn't released a white.

I've got some OCC and Temptu to use in mine, I just haven't tried it yet. The only thing we were told about using other brands was not mixing them if they're different bases (ie, if it's water based it won't mix properly with sillicone based... etc).

Hi Jolie69. I did my training today as well, where did you do yours? Mine was in Liverpool at diva beauty.

I just need to get my kit now, the airbase one offers a really good rang of foundation colors and I personally like the coverage that you get from it, it feels really light which I love.

Shelley X

Hi Shelley,
Did my training at Liverpool too- great day!
Really love product but not used it on last 2 clients as they didn't want it!
Not sure about mature skins yet- thought this would solve all my foundation problems but still looking for a good one. Quite like MAC mineralise and can use my pro card.
How you getting on x

Latest posts

Back