A few Minx questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahc

Reaction score
I was trained to apply Minx to fingers, although practically all of my bookings so far have been on toes - with fingers, I apply heated minx from left to right and cut to shape whilst on the nail. also file the excess off with the Minx file, first breaking the seal by filing down then going in one direction either side

I assumed toes would be the same, but have recently taken to cutting the excess off with scissors as many of my clients have thick or very short toe nails - can I ask if the procedure is the same as with finger nails, I was managing ok but just recently have found it really fiddly and have not been 100% happy with the finish although clients always seem very pleased

The thing that has got me wondering is a client I did yesturday said 'oh you do it differently to xyz' apparently she cuts to shape off the nail, applies to the middle of the nail and cuts excess off with nail clippers .. basically completely different to me!

have searched on here but cant see step by step for toes .. would someone be able to point me in right direction, as have 2 bookings for tomorrow and want to have a little play, see if the other techs method works better for me

also, after having done at least 30 minx toe applications .. still really slow, are there any short cuts without compromising the service ? I advertise it as taking approx 45 mins, but most of the time its taking me 1 hr 15 mins !! hence me reluctant to take any party bookings, lol

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with trying out different methods of applying the actual Minx veneers as long as you do it under heat in the recommended way. Just have a go.

When I apply Minx, I always leave a small free margin at the lateral folds and the eponychium, just as I would nail polish. I very rarely do this cutting and fitting that many seem to do to make the veneer fit every nook and cranny at the edges .. I don't even think it looks as nice when all that fitting is done. Leaving a free margin definitely makes application quicker. I am a filer of the free edge rather than a cutter but each to his own .. I cut if I can't file due to length or some other factor, but normally filing is my preference. Hth

thank you geeg,
I'm in heaven when I come across perfectly square nails, the Minx is so easy to apply and the finished look is so great - however, I rarely get these type of nails, I find myself having to shape the Minx to fit the cuticle area and 9 times out of 10 cut up one side, I do measure up properly and I do leave the small gap you mention, I think I must just have lots of clients with unusual shapes nails, lol

Hi, I've just started with minx. My first toe client has had minx several times before, and all I got was x does this, x does that. Made me on edge and I faffed so much with trimming and struggling to file because the nails were soft, that I spent 1 hour 45 min on them. Spent a while on cuticle work too. I'm going to take geeg's advice so don't need so much trimming and spend less time on cuticle. Have a fingers model tomorrow, hope I can do it in an hour! X

Hi, I've just started with minx. My first toe client has had minx several times before, and all I got was x does this, x does that. Made me on edge and I faffed so much with trimming and struggling to file because the nails were soft, that I spent 1 hour 45 min on them. Spent a while on cuticle work too. I'm going to take geeg's advice so don't need so much trimming and spend less time on cuticle. Have a fingers model tomorrow, hope I can do it in an hour! X

Just so that you know, I did not advise to spend less time on cuticle work! that one is your own idea. I wouldn't skimp in that area. :hug:

Last edited:
Yes I know, I more meant speed up. I do tend to be a bit slow and careful. I just need to speed up a bit x

WELL! I have just done a minx application to fingers on my mum and it took me nearly 2 hours!! She picked a design that I only had the big minx left so had to cut them all to shape plus my little girl decided she wasn't going to bed until half past ten tonight so had her running about and trying to help! Aar! I'm so nervous, I have my second paying client tomorrow for minx and need to get it done way before 2 hours but hopefully with it being a new pack I'll have the right sized designs to apply straight to the nail :( I'm so scared. Like an earlier post though, I faff and take too much time messing about with them. Wish me luck guys :eek:
Xx

Good luck, I have a set this morning too, going to try to get them done in an hour. X

Let me know how it goes and I shall do the same :D xx

I managed to do them in 1 hour and 5 min. Only trimmed the big toe one. Really pleased with myself! Ready now to put on my web page at full price :) xx

Latest posts

Back