A July return!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's an article in a news app online, stating Boris is considering letting us open with all other non essential shops on June 15th. Please let there be some truth to this and not the usual lazy journalists who are grasping for stories.

There's an article in a news app online, stating Boris is considering letting us open with all other non essential shops on June 15th. Please let there be some truth to this and not the usual lazy journalists who are grasping for stories.
I’ve seen this is possibly only for hairdressers, didn’t see anything about beauty. For me, June 15th is still way too early.

Once again it's absolute rubbish being printed online.
Screenshot_20200604-172149_Instagram.jpeg

I’ve seen this is possibly only for hairdressers, didn’t see anything about beauty. For me, June 15th is still way too early.
I agree, quite happy with wait another month.

Hello everyone,
I am following this thread and finding all comments really helpful - thank you!
I am a mobile beauty therapist and I haven't worked since Mid March. Some days it really takes its toll.
I have clients everyday asking if I am taking bookings yet. It is great to feel the love but I keep saying I am waiting for the government guidelines.
I know that some of them have gone elsewhere and they've had hair cuts etc.
These are people that have health issues, I don't get it.
I would really love to have a definite date so I have something to work towards (i'm sure we all would!)
Thank you to everyone for sharing their thoughts.
Keep in touch :)

I agree, quite happy with wait another month.
I still think possibly July is too early especially for the beauty industry. Looking at other countries, hairdressers have opened up but beauty salons are still closed from what I can see, possible that might happen over here too.

Hello everyone,
I am a mobile beauty therapist and I haven't worked since Mid March. Some days it really takes its toll.
I have clients everyday asking if I am taking bookings yet. It is great to feel the love but I keep saying I am waiting for the government guidelines.
I would really love to have a definite date so I have something to work towards (i'm sure we all would!)
Sadly, those clients that are going elsewhere are as bad as hairdresser/beauty therapists still working illegally through the pandemic, flouting the rules & keeping this virus highly active! Those are the ones to watch out for when we can officially go back to work. I think those with health issues & also the older generation are sometimes worse than healthy people, as they think “i’m going to live what’s left of my life & if I get the virus I get it” disregarding what will happen if they happen to pass it on to anyone else!!
Like you I am a mobile therapist & I think it will be harder for us than a salon to keep everything sanitised & safe as we’re going into so many different homes everyday, potentially where clients or family members in the household are ill & are more likely to not tell you this. Be careful...don’t rush into anything.
I find it very cheeky for clients to keep asking about bookings! They wouldn’t be happy if we booked them in then the reopening date gets pushed back & we have to cancel them again!

I need it to be July at the earliest. I still need to do a COVID risk assessment, get a foot-operated peddle bin, put a paper towel dispenser in the toilet, get face shields, work out client spacing to allow for cleaning, work out which treatments I'll bring back first ( lower risk treatments), get an online COVID declaration form up and running for patients to complete as well as finishing off last years books. :) I'm going to be busy!!!

I saw an article this morning with Matt Hancock confirming that hair & beauty industry will NOT be returning until July 4th at the earliest. Apparently it was never their intention to get it up & running before so it looks like the media stirring things up as usual.

Last edited:
I need it to be July at the earliest. I still need to do a COVID risk assessment, get a foot-operated peddle bin, put a paper towel dispenser in the toilet, get face shields, work out client spacing to allow for cleaning, work out which treatments I'll bring back first ( lower risk treatments), get an online COVID declaration form up and running for patients to complete as well as finishing off last years books. :) I'm going to be busy!!!

Which treatments are considered lower risk?

I'm really struggling getting hold of Barbaside can anyone suggest a equivalent?

I’ve seen a few Facebook posts from mobile hairdressers advertising they are now up & running...
It really makes me cross how Blatant they are in flouting the rules!

Hello everyone,
Me too, it’s so nice to know there are other like minded people going through the same thing, I’m a mobile beauty therapist and I find the lack of specific guidelines for us to stay safe really hard! And clients just don’t get it
I wanted to know what protective masks therapist have gone for? I’ve bought some kn95 ones which a meant to give a high level of protection but I think you can only use them for a week at the most.
I’d like to get some washable ones but will they be protective enough?

I’m now in utter rage mode!
My daughter (also a hairdresser) has just been messaged by her ‘friend ‘ to say she has someone coming round on Saturday to cut her hair!
My daughter replied with ‘4th July is the earliest we can work from’, and she has replied with - ‘She’s going to cut my hair in the garden - or wear a mask if it rains!!!!
This makes a mockery of the sacrifice us professionals have made
I feel a complete fool for ‘doing the right thing’

Never mind, I’m sure it will be a great haircut and a fabulous experience. Your daughter’s friend will love it so much, she’ll stick with her new stylist for ever.

(Just think of it as building client loyalty for when we do return...)

I’m now in utter rage mode!
My daughter (also a hairdresser) has just been messaged by her ‘friend ‘ to say she has someone coming round on Saturday to cut her hair!
My daughter replied with ‘4th July is the earliest we can work from’, and she has replied with - ‘She’s going to cut my hair in the garden - or wear a mask if it rains!!!!
This makes a mockery of the sacrifice us professionals have made
I feel a complete fool for ‘doing the right thing’
Let’s hope they get caught then, will be a rather expensive haircut for both of them!
I think clients are starting to get fed up as I haven’t had any contact from anyone for a while, but today had 3 clients contact me saying hoping to see me as soon as possible as getting desperate. It’s just trying to make them understand!

Let’s hope they get caught then, will be a rather expensive haircut for both of them!
I think clients are starting to get fed up as I haven’t had any contact from anyone for a while, but today had 3 clients contact me saying hoping to see me as soon as possible as getting desperate. It’s just trying to make them understand!
Exactly the same here... my phone didn’t stop yesterday... people are lumping us together with non essential shops I think and thinking we can open next week... I’m getting bored of saying the same thing now!

Exactly the same here... my phone didn’t stop yesterday... people are lumping us together with non essential shops I think and thinking we can open next week... I’m getting bored of saying the same thing now!
How annoying!

I’m also getting the slightly sinking feeling that beauty may not be allowed to reopen on the 4th, every government announcement I seem to read it only seems to mention hairdressers, nothing about beauty.
I also feel home salons & mobiles might not be able to return for much longer than that which will make it even more difficult trying to explain it to clients! I really hope I’m wrong but just have that feeling.

Latest posts

Back