A little advice need for a newbie please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky&Maggie

Reaction score
Hi everybody. My names Becky and I'm new to this site! Recently my life got flipped upside down. I lost my mum maggie. We were best friends. She payed for me to go to college for two years to do beauty and massage. Her dream was for me to become successful. I work in a spa at the moment. They charge an awfully large amount for there treatments while I get paid a shocking £6 an hour. I feel like I could be earning an awful lot more by going mobile. I just want some tips and advice on going mobile aNd the ups and downs of it. I'm only 21 and really want to make my mum proud. I may sound like a spoilt brat. But my mum also paid for my driving lessons and I bought my first car but she did it so I could become mobile one day. Please help me and give me some ideas, advice and guidance. Much love Becky xx

Hi. Firstly well done on keeping your mum with you. It's 18 years ago today since my mum died and she's still with me every day.
I can't help much otherwise I'm afraid as I don't work full time in the industry but I really hope you get good support and do your mum proud x

Hello and welcome! I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my mum when I was in my early 30's which is still too young.

I think if you want to go mobile and you have the means to do so, then go for it. This site has so much info, I wouldn't know where to start but you can use the search facility to help you. The biz geek is probably the best place to start, you'll find load of help there.

When I went mobile the first thing I did was get a load of leaflets printed and did letterbox drops, then just waited for my first call.

Best of luck!

I am sure your mum would be very proud of you. Follow your heart, as MM has said, if you have the means to set up mobile then go for it.

It can be hard to start, but it is so worth it. I have only been mobile 13 months, and the first 6 were a nightmare, we were broke, but word of mouth soon picks up, and now I couldn't imagine ever working for anyone else again!

Leaflets, business cards, website & Facebook page are all good advertising methods and not going to break the bank.

This site has been invaluable to me, as although I've been qualified many many years, it is very different working on your own - but a good kind of different!

My only other suggestion would be to save as much as you can between now and starting out, very few people are able to turn over much of a profit in the first few months, and having some stashed away to fall back on is a good idea!

Good luck, and enjoy it!
Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry to hear about your mum, I lost my mum when I was 15. I knew I wanted to have a career and make her proud. I say go for it! It takes time to build up a good clientele but once your there it's great. You have the potential to earn a lot more than working for someone else. Good luck xx

Hi Becky!

Firstly, welcome to the site. I'm so sorry you lost your mam, I can't even imagine what that's like.

You absolutely don't sound like a spoilt brat- quite the opposite. You're making your mam proud and you'll continue to do so!

Don't let being young put you off being your own boss. I opened my barbershop when I was 21, and it was the absolute best thing I've ever done! There's tons of support on here, and loads of threads about being mobile, and self employed.

Also, since you're 21, please make sure the spa you're working at is paying you minimum wage at the very least- at £6 per hour they aren't! Minimum wage for 21+ is £6.31 at the moment. ACAS can help with this if you don't feel comfortable approaching your manager.

Good luck! Robyn x

I don't really have any advice as im just starting out too. Just wanted to say hi and hugs. X

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Just want to thank u all for your replies and support! You are all stars! Also I'm not sure if I've replied properly ha this site is so confusing! I hope I've done it properly! Thanks again xxxxxx

Hi Becky, there are a few more replies on your post in Biz Geek :) x

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back