A method of removing direct dyes without bleach

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
Seen a few people asking how to remove direct dye including crazy colour and majicontrast. Here is a method I have found to work without using any bleach/ damage.

Apply SULPHONATED/ SULFATED CASTOR OIL (sold as 'red turkey oil') to the hair, wrap the hair up leave under heat for 30 mins.
When you shampoo you will need to shampoo about fours times with warm water to get all the oil out (it is thick oil).

I tried this with some crazy colour and majicontrast swatches on pre-bleached (20 vol) white swatches.
After 1 application (30mins) they faded to a pastel colour. The swatches below are after TWO hours - some completly faded(the majicontrast all came out!), but some are still more stubbon.

8dPeVTU.jpg

I haven't had a chance to try this on a human head yet, although I would avoid putting anything directly on the scalp, especially under heat.

I got the idea from an old discontinued clairol product, maybe it works with some other oils too.
Anyway just putting it out there, maybe it helps someone.

Good one!

I did read once perm lotion can remove crazy color but I tried it and it didn't work, In the end we just used bleach and 3% and it came out in less than 1 min.

Was this the main ingredient in a remover?

Yep it was the main ingredient :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

How interesting!! This is why I love this site, learning handy tricks like this one! Thanks

I may have to test this once I can get rid of my purple.

So interesting! And I just read a thread about someone trying to get rid of a similar though lighter color. I hope they keep this in mind for future. Very cool.

What about good old Vitamin C powder mixed with conditioner? Takes out bright colours in about 20 min and is not too harsh on hair. I also used this method on overtoned hair to remove blueish casts - works in no time!

Its called ascorbic acid powder.

What about good old Vitamin C powder mixed with conditioner? Takes out bright colours in about 20 min and is not too harsh on hair. I also used this method on overtoned hair to remove blueish casts - works in no time!

Its called ascorbic acid powder.

Cool, I'll give that a go, thanks! I know its in malibu too if I don't have any vit c on hand! Always good to have other options other than bleach!

Latest posts

Back