A nail biter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild

Reaction score
HI ALL
I HAVE A LADY THAT WANT WHITE TIPS AND L&P
SHE IS A BITTER AND A REALLY BAD ONE
IF I PUT ON WHITE TIPS THEY WILL BE IN THE MIDDLE
OF HER NAIL AND THEY WOULD LOOK VERY FUNNY

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS:lol:

Hiya ... white tips on a nail biter doesn't look good IMO..infact any french on a nail biter looks wrong unless a coverage product is used to hide her natural smile line and create a elongated nail bed.

If she is insistent on french and you don't do coverage products then i would make sure that they are very very short...so that there is little white...and use a soft white.

The sad fact is white tips on a nail biter look horrendous to us but the munchers luv em:lol::lol:

I would do one of these:

- put on a clear tip, sculpt white tip, define the smile line where you wish it to be and then fill in zone 2&3 with opaque powder matched to clients skin tone.
- sculpt on forms.(my favourite)reverse application might be easier in such case, you would elongate the bed with opaque powder first, define where you wish to place a smile line(usually at the end of the finger pad) and then sculpt the white)

if you use the search facility here you will find a lot of useful threads on this subject:hug:

hope this helps)

nail biters can look fabulous with french looks. Have you learnt sculpture nails?

Dont use tips, just sculpt the whole nail. here are the directions
- build a nail bed first. so with pink or clear acrylic onto her bitten nails, make sure your only placing the bead close to the edge of her natural nails and not covering the whole of her natural nails
- then once you have extended the nail bed, place a form underneath the extended nail bed and start creating the french tip zone 1 (remember it must be short, the length must be made according to her natural nail bed, and you can extend it more when her nail bed starts growing out more)
- then finish off with a small zone 2 and 3

if you glue a natural or clear tip to extend the nail bed it wont look natural because you'll see a line in the middle of the nail bed, whilst acrylics will look natural after blending in together. and you wouldnt want glue stuck on her skin cos it doesnt feel good

yes i love doing sculptuer nails
but she wants white tip done and she wants them done on monday
she wants them done for wednesday baby shower
but i really dont feel good about doing them
they will look funny
i want to sculpt but she wont go for it

i think i should have her come by today do a few and show her
how funny they will look

what do you all think

what do you all thin

i have some pictures in my profile of using white tips with a coverage powder on a nail biter that might help,but it obviously depends on how bad the nail biter is as to the result you will get.
if its not going to be possible to do this on this client because she bites them to bad then i would do as the other sugested and try using tips or sculpt depending on what suits you better but either way you will need some sort of coverage to elongate her nail beds so there is more pink than white ratio.x

she bits really bad almost to the middle of her nail bed
i would think they would hurt they look like they hurt but she said no
i have never seen a nail bitter this bad

yes i love doing sculptuer nails
but she wants white tip done and she wants them done on monday
she wants them done for wednesday baby shower
but i really dont feel good about doing them
they will look funny
i want to sculpt but she wont go for it

i think i should have her come by today do a few and show her
how funny they will look

what do you all think

what do you all thin

Do you have/do coverage products as this really is your best option

what is coverage products
or am i just haveing a red moment

Its either powder or gels that you use to hide the natural nails appearance....they are completely opaque...(not see through)...so you can hide the bitten edge of the nails...and place your white in a more natural position.

you can just mix a tad of white, or a bit of pink colored powder (like a tip color, not the "pink" in your pink & whites) into your pink if you don't have a coverage product, it will give it the opacity you need to masque the bitten nail while it grows out
Posted via Mobile Device

Using opaque powders to mask the natural nail (custom blending) really does require some practice. If you can't get enough practice in before having this client in and don't feel confident with mixing a correct coverage color, I would suggest doing what I did before I start custom blending:

Sculpting (or perhaps using clear tips and then creating your own smile line on top) really would be the best thing. And you are the professional, you have to make this clear to the client. After extending the nail bed with your regular clear or pink that you use for Pink and Whites (do a search on here about nail biters and custom blending, you'll find how to saddle a tip if you choose to extend with clear tips, or you'll find how to apply forms to a bitten nail and then extend on top of this), use a sheer pink polish to disguise the natural nail that will be obvious in zone 2. My favorite for this is Sheer Contentment by CND. It is a shimmery gold/pink that covers the natural nail, but does not turn your whites pink. Here's an example of how I sculpted with sheer pink and used just one coat of Sheer Contentment.

Before: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/buttpaste/Salon Stuff/Nails/100_2366.jpg
After: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/buttpaste/Salon Stuff/Nails/100_2368.jpg

You can still see where her natural nail was slightly, but if you don't have enough time to practice custom blending, it's still a much better result than sticking white tips way down on a nail bite, in my opinion. Hope this helps.

Using opaque powders to mask the natural nail (custom blending) really does require some practice. If you can't get enough practice in before having this client in and don't feel confident with mixing a correct coverage color, I would suggest doing what I did before I start custom blending:

Before: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/buttpaste/Salon Stuff/Nails/100_2366.jpg
After: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/buttpaste/Salon Stuff/Nails/100_2368.jpg

You can still see where her natural nail was slightly, but if you don't have enough time to practice custom blending, it's still a much better result than sticking white tips way down on a nail bite, in my opinion. Hope this helps.

WOW...your 'after' is amazing!

P.S. Where in Michigan are you?:)

Little town in north eastern Michigan called Alpena. And thank you for the compliment, :)

Sculpting (or perhaps using clear tips and then creating your own smile line on top) really would be the best thing. And you are the professional, you have to make this clear to the client. After extending the nail bed with your regular clear or pink that you use for Pink and Whites (do a search on here about nail biters and custom blending, you'll find how to saddle a tip if you choose to extend with clear tips, or you'll find how to apply forms to a bitten nail and then extend on top of this), use a sheer pink polish to disguise the natural nail that will be obvious in zone 2. My favorite for this is Sheer Contentment by CND. It is a shimmery gold/pink that covers the natural nail, but does not turn your whites pink. Here's an example of how I sculpted with sheer pink and used just one coat of Sheer Contentment.

i agree those look awesome!:) i've never used polish to disguise bitten nails but now im gonna try it:green:

Little town in north eastern Michigan called Alpena. And thank you for the compliment, :)

I know where that is...I'm just north of Detroit!

You did a great job on those nails! :)

nail biters can look fabulous with french looks. Have you learnt sculpture nails?

Dont use tips, just sculpt the whole nail. here are the directions
- build a nail bed first. so with pink or clear acrylic onto her bitten nails, make sure your only placing the bead close to the edge of her natural nails and not covering the whole of her natural nails
- then once you have extended the nail bed, place a form underneath the extended nail bed and start creating the french tip zone 1 (remember it must be short, the length must be made according to her natural nail bed, and you can extend it more when her nail bed starts growing out more)
- then finish off with a small zone 2 and 3

if you glue a natural or clear tip to extend the nail bed it wont look natural because you'll see a line in the middle of the nail bed, whilst acrylics will look natural after blending in together. and you wouldnt want glue stuck on her skin cos it doesnt feel good

Hi,
I have been trying to look for a tutorial on sculpting on nail biters but cant find anything. Could someone please explain how I extend the nail bed before putting a form on? Would this not touch the skin.
I would really like to practise this technique so any help would be great. Thanks :)

If the client does not have bulbous skin around her nail bed, I would custom fit a form to butt right up against her nail. If the skin is bulbous, you'd have to saddle a tip. Some sculpt the nail bed right onto the skin, after applying a bit of oil or something so it didnt stick too badly. This does pose an overexposre risk, but since it is only going to happen the once, some do it. I prefer to fit the form to the nail bed. You just have to be mindful of the length you are creating, since you can't see the fingertip under the form. Perhaps clear forms would work well if you have trouble visualizing the length.

Latest posts

Back