Acceptable age for polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chattyntech

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think is an acceptable age for little girls to have a bit of polish on?

I have recently had a baby girl and my mom was saying the other day she'll love me doing her nails and my huge polish / glitter stash when she's older. Got me thinking what age is thought to be OK, I was thinking no harm in a bit of polish on toes for holidays etc from about age 5 but I dunno whether thats too young or easily old enough.

Then saw my sis in law yesterday and her 2.5 year old girl had pink polished nails. Do you think this is too young? I am not saying I do, just wondering your thoughts.

I am not by any means thinking of doing my girls nails soon by the way just wondering on opinions! I know we wouldnt be able to do lil ones at work due to insurance but wondered if any other mummies do their own / families young girls nails.

Let the debate begin :)

I remember seeing my little cousin with black polish on when she was about 3. I don't know why but it made me feel a little uncomfortable! Maybe if it had been a light, kiddy colour I wouldn't have felt that way.

I reckon if you're going to paint a small child's nails... use the peel-off polishes! They're designed for children after all. I think 4 or 5 is an acceptable age to start using 'proper' polish.

xx

Last edited:
My little girl is 3 and she absolutely loves it when I put polish on her. It's not something I do often but if she sees me doing mine she will ask if she can have hers done. I don't let her have dark colours but just a light pink with a little bit of silver glitter. They don't last 5 minutes but she gets so excited.

My little girl loves having her nails done, she is 8 now but I did them when she was around 4 in polish, at 5 she had minx on her nails and she now has shellac but only in the school hols as her school is very strict on nail polish :) x

My little girl is 3 and she absolutely loves it when I put polish on her. It's not something I do often but if she sees me doing mine she will ask if she can have hers done. I don't let her have dark colours but just a light pink with a little bit of silver glitter. They don't last 5 minutes but she gets so excited.

Awww! I'm so glad I've had a little girl to share my love of pink and glitter hehe :)

My daughter who is nearly 6 also has her nails painted from time to time. In fact she often comes home from her nana's house after a sleepover with her nails painted (in the school holidays mostly as the school prefers them not to have it on). When she's on play dates too all her little friends want their nails polished and it was funny only a few weeks ago when she sat her friend down at her little table and sat opposite her and told her to put her hands out and started trying to copy all the steps she sees me doing when I've painted people's nails. She's definitely been watching her mummy.

As said earlier on in the thread though it doesn't usually last 2 minutes as we don't bother with base coats and top coats at all but she is such a girly girl she loves it. For Christmas a friend of mine did buy her some of the peel of polish but it seemed to be harder to get off than the real stuff - don't know why.

It's when it comes to high heels and dressing like "little women" and wearing make up at such a young age that I get very distressed. None of that would be allowed at all, as much as she'd love it! I want my little girl to look like a little girl and I really don't think a bit of nail polish here and there does any harm. In fact, she bites her nails from time to time and when I threaten her that she won't have nail polish anymore if she doesn't stop she actually stops IMMEDIATELY! :wink2:

I'd never thought of peel off polishes, suppose that saves using polish remover and stuff

My little girl has always had her nails polished from the age of about 2 especially in the summer. I do mine and she gets hers done. She loves her polished toes and shows everyone lol

I don't have a problem with her having polish on her fingers and toes aslong as it is a light pink or purple, nothing dark as she is only a little girl.

She also has her own make up, glitter lip gloss etc that she puts on at the weekend like mummy. I always use to wear my mums make up, doesn't mean I am trying to make get grow up or anything she just likes Girly things.

I think that whilst kiddies are still putting their fingers in their mouths it's a bit pointless really. Even if it's a non-toxic peel-off kiddy polish how long is it really going to be on there for? Fifteen minutes?

Not to mention they can't sit still and let it dry.

I did a party for 9 year olds and yes, I think they were old enough, but just about every one of them smudged it,sometimes on their clothes:eek:

Maybe 5 or 6 is the earliest, depending on the child?

Congratulations on your lovely baby girl, treasure every second with her, it's a magical time xxx

Awww! I'm so glad I've had a little girl to share my love of pink and glitter hehe :)

I had 2 boys so couldnt share my love of pink and glitter, although my youngest used to watch me painting my nails at about 3 and ask if mummy could do his too!

I had 2 boys so couldnt share my love of pink and glitter, although my youngest used to watch me painting my nails at about 3 and ask if mummy could do his too!

I must be lucky, I have 3 boys but my middle age 5 LOVES pink and glitter! He's always asking me to paint his nails, which i do, but its off not long after. He's also really good at nail painting on my nail trainer hand too!

Latest posts

Back