Acetone as a sanitizer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkh

Reaction score
Hi geeks!! I have a question that can i use aceton to soak in my diamond nail bits to kill fungus ???? Thanks

I'm not sure but I would suggest using barbicide or mundo as they are specifically designed for killing germs/fungus and won't harm your drill bits x

Hi geeks!! I have a question that can i use aceton to soak in my diamond nail bits to kill fungus ???? Thanks
You may think about buying an anti-fungal for nails to soak the drill bits with but I would think using isopropyl cleaner would also kill any fungus if you are soaking them. I think maybe acetone might be too agressive, don't know though.

Acetone is a chemical solvent not a santiser, a solvent is defined as 'able to disolve another substance'.

A sanitiser (or sanitizer as Americans spell it) is a disinfectant - a disinfectant is defined as 'an agent that destroys or inhibits the activity of microorganisms that cause disease'

A solvent and a sanitiser are two different chemicals designed to do two different things so no acetone is not suitable.

Did your training not cover sanitation/cleanliness?

We're mostly UK techs so your State qualification requirements are unfamiliar but I thought the USA were pretty specific about H&S requirements

The two things do not exclude each other. For example Ethyl alcohol is a solvent and a disinfectant among other things. Acetone is a very strong solvent and dehydration agent, I don't think many living things can survive pure Acetone. It is not used as a disinfectant because is highly corrosive, but I saw the young nails instructor on YouTube recommend it for drill bits disinfection.

Also, sanitising and disinfecting are not the same procedure

Latest posts

Back