Acetone drying out nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Princess Layla

Reaction score
I have a client whose nails are dehydrated when I remove her shellac, it's the acetone that causes this because they are fine before removal, she wears nude and neutral colours because of the nature of her work and the nail always gets dehydrated when I remove and wipe with acetone.
Anything I can do to prevent this! I remove the correct way for the recommended time etc, thanks!

Is your client using solar oil? If she is having shellac on regularly then she should be using solar oil as her after care at least twice daily. Also try using dissolve instead of just pure acetone.

She uses her oil religiously they are fine untill we use the acetone, I have tried to fond out what ingredients dissolve has but couldnt, maybe it's not as harsh as pure acetone?

It's definitely not as harsh as acetone as its been buffed. However using Dsolve I still get the white 'drying' out effect - think that's normal! And it's ok as you would wash off after - its only temporarily drying them out. Agree with above post re strongly advising regular solar oiling! xxxx

Its only temporary dehydration caused by the acetone so as long as she's using her oil between appointments regularly she will be fine.
Acetone is dehydrating, but we need to dehydrate the nail before application otherwise oils on the nail plate will effect adhesion.

You will know if she's using her solar oil- if she isnt getting it from you then chances are she isnt using it. I tell my clients its not optional- its a must.

Last edited:
I have found this has happened to one of my clients but she isn't using her solar oil I keep telling her lol x

She is using the oil, and her nails are fine when she arrives?

if they are fine when she arrives I don't understand the problem. Acetone will dehydrate the nail....it's supposed to.....if she's using her oil and her nails are fine when she comes in then there's nothing wrong. The nails will appear white-ish until the end of the service. If there is no peeling or chipping inbetween services then just remind her that this is what acetone is intended to do and that by the time her manicure is finished her nails will be fine.

She is using the oil, and her nails are fine when she arrives?

In what way are her nails different to other clients after removal? You say they are fine to start with, but with a shellac coating over the top it's hard to see what's going on underneath don't you think? So what makes them fine and then after removal not fine?

,Acetone will temporarily dehydrate the nail and leaves a chalky white appearance ,It isn't permanent. You can then perform a rehydrating manicure also solar oil and leave her nails product free or you can reapply shellac and then solar oil to rehydrate them.

If you are shellacking regularly and her nails are fine but then dehydrated after removal then that's means it's a temporary contra -action and not a permanent nail condition?

E x

In what way are her nails different to other clients after removal? You say they are fine to start with, but with a shellac coating over the top it's hard to see what's going on underneath don't you think? So what makes them fine and then after removal not fine?

,Acetone will temporarily dehydrate the nail and leaves a chalky white appearance ,It isn't permanent. You can then perform a rehydrating manicure also solar oil and leave her nails product free or you can reapply shellac and then solar oil to rehydrate them.

If you are shellacking regularly and her nails are fine but then dehydrated after removal then that's means it's a temporary contra -action and not a permanent nail condition?

E x
She has nude colours and I can see they are fine, the removal causes the white dehydration the dehydration is still there when I reapply, thus making it look ugly through the nude colours. Do you see what i mean? I don't want her to leave with nails in this condition, I may try dissolve x

Do you see white spots of dehydration through the Shellac? Is that what you mean?
Are you wrapping with remover wraps to remove your Shellac?
Are you buffing the nail at all?
What are you using to remove any shelac residue after removing each wrap- a tool or birchwood stick?

How do you know she is using solar oil? How much is she buying and how often?- this will indicate if she's using it correctly.

Do you see white spots of dehydration through the Shellac? Is that what you mean?
Are you wrapping with remover wraps to remove your Shellac?
Are you buffing the nail at all?
What are you using to remove any shelac residue after removing each wrap- a tool or birchwood stick?

How do you know she is using solar oil? How much is she buying and how often?- this will indicate if she's using it correctly.
If she wasn't using her oil I would surely see the dehydration before removal?

No not necessarily.
The nails will still be dehydrated before her removal, freshly removing them/pepping will expose them to more acetone which will just make the already present dehydration more immediately visible.
It sounds to me like she is either not using enough oil or not at all.
She should be using it 2-3 times daily, the pinky bottles will last somewhere around 3 weeks when used as advised- so if you gave/sold her some at her first appointment and she still has that one months on, claims to be using it as told but has not bought more then she is not telling the truth.

She uses the oil but may need to a bit more, she buys it regular, but as she is a nurse she is exposed to hand washes etc more than others. Thanx for reply x

I just want to chip in here, that hand soaps in hospitals are mild. It has to cater to everyone, including those of us with sensitive skin. The alcohol gel has to be hospital grade and to be honest I don't know how this differs to other alcohol gels.

I use both and don't have anything other than normal temporary dehydration when removing my own Shellac or Gelish, all since last summer.

She uses the oil but may need to a bit more, she buys it regular, but as she is a nurse she is exposed to hand washes etc more than others. Thanx for reply x

Yes, she should certainly use it more then- try 3-4 daily, all that hand washing can be hard on our nails.
My sister in law is a nurse and suffers terribly with dry hands. I find a nice warm oil manicure monthly makes a nice difference for her, or a nice hydrating full manicure after her shellac application every now and then. :hug:

Latest posts

Back