Acne Advice Required

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGritt

Reaction score
Hi there guys, am really fed up! I am in need of some help if possible.

Firstly, i cant get over achne on my face! it dies down and isnt over bad but never actually goes away! i have been to the doctors and they have given me a cream (this was a few years ago). The cream didn't really have any affect.

Secondly, my MAIN problem that is really getting me down is that from the age of 13 i have had achne down my arms (At the top). Again i have been to the doctors and have been prescribed millions of things to help but as also told it was hormonal!? and that it would go as i aged. I am now almost 27 and still have it worse than ever.
I cant wear short sleeve tops or anything as i am so aware of it and it spoils any dresses that i would like to wear, not to mention the looks i get from people not wanting to stand too close to me.

I dont know which route to go down, do i go to my doctor and asked to be referred to a specilist? I just don't know......

Any advice would be great in solving these annoying issues :cry:

Thanks

I do feel for you as my teenage daughter has suffered with facial acne and I felt almost powerless to help her as a beauty therapist. Sometimes a good skin care routine with excellent facial products, is simply not enough to help.

If you have a problem on your arms as well, then I would say,'yes, ask for a referral to a dermatologist. My daughter currently takes oral tetracycline and a topical cream. She is also on a mini pill and this combination seems to work for her but she is 16.

Hopefully you will get it sorted. Good luck.

It's difficult to say without looking at your skin as it depends upon what grade of acne you have. The majority of cases of low grade acne can generally be sorted by good skincare, but anything beyond this will most likely need medical help. There are four things that need to be addressed with acne, namely:

Correcting the abnormal keratinisation in the follicle (this is the most important).
Decrease sebaceous activity.
Inhibit/Decrease bacteria growth in the follicle.
Produce an anti-inflammatory effect.

Hyper keratinisation is generally addressed with acids & enzymes, such as glycolic acid, lactic acid, salicylic acid, bromelain or papaine, to break down the excess keratinisation, which means you have to ensure the protective layers of the skin are functioning well (else irritation & damage will result). Scrubs are not useful as they are generally too abrasive & will often stimulate oil production. Ditch any cleansers that deplete the skin of water as this will aggrevate the build up of dead skin, also ditch those containing comodogenic ingredients or that aggrevate the inflammation; you need only have a gentle cleanser as cleansing alone will do little for acne.

For the other three issues, these will be helped by well-formulated cosmetics that include the correct active ingredients (such as zinc, niacinamide & pyridoxine), and for that you'll need to see someone who knows what they're talking about in the flesh!

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the reply

I have tried the tetracycline (or however its spelt) as well as creams. it doesnt really make any difference as well as trying a wide range of facial scrubs etc etc.

As for my arms! god only knows whats happening with them, no doctor has ever given me a diagnosis and i usually just get fobbed off with creams that i have already used and got no where with.

Thanks for the replies

Hi,

I too have suffered with acne on the upper arms, i would recommend you try Environ Hydrating Lotion (formally Derma Lac) it contains lactic acid, and i found this really helped me, i also use AVST Body oil to deal with the scarring. Another product i like is MD Formulations body scrub once a week. I am using Environ on my face too, but the clear up there hasnt been as quick unfortunately, but im perservering! And batling with my GP about some hormone testing?!
Good luck, but give it a go, it worked for me!

Debx

Latest posts

Back