Acne products.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VIVA.GLAM

Reaction score
I have used the search but couldn't find an answer targeting my question.

Now, I swear by dermalogica and I've followed a strict skincare routine with them for acne, but this past couple of weeks I feel like my skin has got worse.
I'm wondering if it's time for a change of product.

What products can you recommend for acne?

I have used the search but couldn't find an answer targeting my question.

Now, I swear by dermalogica and I've followed a strict skincare routine with them for acne, but this past couple of weeks I feel like my skin has got worse.
I'm wondering if it's time for a change of product.

What products can you recommend for acne?

When you say has 'got worse' in what way do you mean?
More breakouts?
And what exact products are you using from the range?

Hey,

Ive worked with several skin care systems in the past and always try them for myself at home :) but have to say the range we are using in the salon I work at now has to be my favourite!
We're using the Murad product range and although I don't use the acne products I have many clients, friends and family members that use them (clarifying range) and absolutely swear by them! Apart from individual products they also offer a 30 or 60 day kit which is brilliant and contains every thing you will need for a daily routine.
It's an American company set up around 25 yrs ago by Dr Murad, he's a pharmacist and a dermatologist so he knows his stuff!
Just a heads up, if your on medication from the doctors it's not advisable to use the exfoliating blemish gel!!

hope this helps you in some way :) good luck, it's horrible when your really strict with your skin and it decides to disobey you!
check out the Murad website it's really helpful.
xx

I can honestly say after using basically every product MD formulations are fantastic. You will love it if you have problem skin. Many clients are now so addicted as their skin has made such an improvement they will not look at anything else.
Try the wash to start with. It will last about 3 months and is only £25. Use it once a day for the first week in the evening then increase it to morning and night on the second week. Use a 10p and lather in hands then rub on to your face. (If you have makeup remove with just a wipe or damp cotton wool to start with) Then once applied leave for a minute. Then wash off. It may tingle but this is normal. Then apply a good moisturiser, I would recommend the Moisture Defence Antioxidant Lotion (however it is quite costly if on a budget, but is lovely and light.)
I have had clients that have stopped their medication as MD made such a HUGE difference. It is one of those things you need to try it to believe it, but once you do your never go elsewhere.
Hope this is useful

I never get spots, when I do it's 'that time of the month'. Even then it's like one it two and they're gone within a week. I just keep getting more and more all over my face, big small. Lots. I look like a 13 year old.

I use active moist morning and night. I use skin smoothing cream about 3 times a week, special cleansing gel (I used to use anti-bac skin wash but apparently it's discontinued?) and I use the treatment foundation.
I do have oily skin, which is the problem I would imagine, and it's worse in the warmer summer weather. I've never gone wrong with dermalogica, do I just need different products?

Thank you other geeks for advice- I may look into it. I'm just wary about starting on different products as I've tried before and they tend to irritate? I will look into those products if I can't get along with dermalogica.
I only have a very basic knowledge of Dermalogica and I have to add it doesn't sell that well in our salon, only to regular buyers, so we very rarely have new products in. Thus I really do not know what direction I should be taking with it. I should be venturing into the mediBac range I'd imagine?

If you've got oily skin then you need to be looking towards using the Dermal Clay Cleanser!!!
There is a medibac cleanser which is a treatment cleanser to use 2/3 times per week.
I'd steer clear of the skin smoothing cream too if you're oily!!!
Also, put in the overnight clearing gel into you regime, it's a fab product!!!

Also, if they're hormonal spots, try eating bananas at the time!
I've heard the potassium can help the breakouts!

You're a diamond! I'll stock up and give it a go. Thank you X

Sorry gotta pick your brain some more,
Is the Active Moist still okay to use? And in the MediBac range there is MediBac Sebum Clearing Masque, is this what you meant? Or there is a mattifier.
I will get as much of anything as I need to lol so tell me whatever you think and I'll get it!
We were supposed to go to Cambridge for a Dermalogica training day but it got cancelled, hmph, definately feel like I've missed out...

Sorry gotta pick your brain some more,
Is the Active Moist still okay to use? And in the MediBac range there is MediBac Sebum Clearing Masque, is this what you meant? Or there is a mattifier.
I will get as much of anything as I need to lol so tell me whatever you think and I'll get it!
We were supposed to go to Cambridge for a Dermalogica training day but it got cancelled, hmph, definately feel like I've missed out...

The medibac range is quite comprehensive, and Id say that if you feel your breakout arent too sever then id not use everything in the range!

Active moist should be great to use as its oil free so will give the hydration without excess moisturisation!

The overnight clearing gel is a gel that you apply to oily and congested areas after pm cleansing. Apply to those ares and allow to dry before moisturising with active moist, however, you may feel that you dont need to use the active moist as well!
This gel really helps with oilyness, as it contain salicylic acid which is a lipid soluble ingredient, it clears impaction plugs and kills bacteria which leads to breakouts!

Yes, there is a masque you could use, it will help, and the clearing mattifyer is fab too - it really dulls down the shine but also helps it at its root - again has salicylic acid in it to help.

Are you a therapist as im a bit confused?

Puramed professional do a salicylic 2% glycolic cleansers etc there website is puramedprofessionaluk.co.uk there's loads of info on there about skin peels for acne too

The medibac range is quite comprehensive, and Id say that if you feel your breakout arent too sever then id not use everything in the range!

Active moist should be great to use as its oil free so will give the hydration without excess moisturisation!

The overnight clearing gel is a gel that you apply to oily and congested areas after pm cleansing. Apply to those ares and allow to dry before moisturising with active moist, however, you may feel that you dont need to use the active moist as well!
This gel really helps with oilyness, as it contain salicylic acid which is a lipid soluble ingredient, it clears impaction plugs and kills bacteria which leads to breakouts!

Yes, there is a masque you could use, it will help, and the clearing mattifyer is fab too - it really dulls down the shine but also helps it at its root - again has salicylic acid in it to help.

Are you a therapist as im a bit confused?

That is fantastic thank you.
In answer to your question, I'm not a beauty therapist but I do offer beauty treatments- waxing, nails etc. I don't do facials and massages. My boss has 2 salons, one caters more for hairdressing as it was just a hair salon before she took over and it only has a small treatment room. The other caters more for beauty as it has a whole floor for treatments and offers a wider range of treatments. I'm the manageress in the salon which is more hairdressing, as I'm first and foremost a hairdresser. My boss isn't there a lot and I'm the only member of staff who does offer SOME beauty treatments. As far as Dermalogica training goes I've only had PRODUCT training. I was given this to help promote and sell the Dermalogica products we do stock and to have some knowledge to do so. So all in all, I don't have the expertise a therapist that works with Dermalogica has. Since we do not really sell a lot, only to the regular buyers, my product knowledge is very dated. In fact, it really could do with refreshing. As I mentioned before, we were meant to go for a product training day back in February but it was cancelled for whatever reasons. (sorry I don't think I mentioned before it was just product training :S) I know it's not quite appropriate having a non-therapist giving out advice on such a product- it was purely for the benefit of always having someone there who knows SOMETHING about the products if anyone came in and was interested.
As I said, it kind of rarely happens and we have a slim selection. Hope my weird situation doesn't offend in any way?

Of course it doesnt offend!
Does it offend you that ive recomended Dermalogica products, yet am a stockist of Eve Taylor? lol
For the record, I think the products are amazing and I used to use them religously! But for many reasons decided to use another brand, but thats another story!

Bless ya. What about Eve Taylor then? Are they good for breakouts? or should I stick with your carefully designed Dermalogica plan? :)!

Bless ya. What about Eve Taylor then? Are they good for breakouts? or should I stick with your carefully designed Dermalogica plan? :)!

Yeah its great for problem skin, but I think you should just tweak your regime and stick with Dermalogica for now and see what happens.

Also, another quick thing.... do you double cleanse your skin?

hi sorry your having trouble with your skin :( My freind who has suffered with really bad achne swears by dermal clay she uses it 2-3 times a week and ultra calming cleansing gel x2 daily (sorry not sure what moistriser) since september her skin has improved so dramatically she no longer has to take her skin medication from the docs which is great :)

Last edited:
hi sorry your having trouble with your skin :( My freind who has suffered with really bad achne swears by dermal clay she uses it 2-3 times a week and ultra calming cleansing gel x2 daily (sorry not sure what moistriser) since september her skin has improved so dramatically she no longer has to take her skin medication from the docs which is great :)

You can also apply dermal clay cleanser to the skin as a mini masque for 5-10 mins and the kaolin in it will help draw out impurities!!

Yeah its great for problem skin, but I think you should just tweak your regime and stick with Dermalogica for now and see what happens.

Also, another quick thing.... do you double cleanse your skin?

Yeah I always double cleanse.
Gonna find a stockist today (we haven't got the stuff I need :\ )
thank you for your help, really appreciate it :)

That's brilliant thank you for that, hopefully I will get the same results :)

Latest posts

Back