Acrylic and gel nail art over normal polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.e.brown

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if you can do 3D Acrylic and/or 3D Gel Nail Art over a normal polished nail?

For example I wanted to paint a design using normal polish and add some 3D hearts or flowers etc using acrylic or gel.

Thank you in advance :)

I dont really know the answer but would have thought it was better over gel polish. My thought being that you wouldn't want to spend hours doing a design for it to chip iff a day later?

I think you can though as above it would be better suited to an enhancement or gel polish... Is it for a client?

I'd be worried about damaging the natural nail when removing as polish is not thick. X

Thank you ladies. I wasn't very clear but I did mean normal polish over enhancements, as a lot of my clients don't have gel polish over enhancements as normal polish lasts until maintenance anyway xx

No. Acrylic will only bond with the natural nail not to polish. Same gel polish.

Then how are nails like these created? As looks like it's been applied over the nail polish ...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414491579.693714.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414491579.693714.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 210
My understanding was that polish can be put over gel, but not the other way round. Partly because polish dries by evaporation of solvents, where as gel is cured by uv light; cured gel on top would inhibit the polish evaporation, so it would just smudge and ruin the lot. Even allowing the full 24 hours for polish to dry, the gel on top being harder than the polish underneath would have some sort of effect, maybe chipping off or being more brittle?

Yes I understand, it's more the acrylic 3D art I'm wondering about, as the pic above. On my shellac ladies I do art with that but a lot of my enhancement ladies just have normal polish but want 3D art, there isn't any point in me doing a gel polish on top as nail polish lasts on enhancements xx

Yes I understand, it's more the acrylic 3D art I'm wondering about, as the pic above. On my shellac ladies I do art with that but a lot of my enhancement ladies just have normal polish but want 3D art, there isn't any point in me doing a gel polish on top as nail polish lasts on enhancements xx

Ahh gotcha! Could you maybe create the 3D item on a sculpting foil and then attach it as one would a normal 3D embellishment? Never tried this, just an idea 😊

Then how are nails like these created? As looks like it's been applied over the nail polish ...

Yes you can do this bcoz I had a client bring the exact picture to me !!
I called my trained and asked.
This is gel polish over either acrylic or gel as a basis and the flower is acrylic 3 D which is on top of the gel polish.

She said you need to think of it in layers.
Like a gel is weaker then acrylic so you can't apply acrylic glaze to gel polish it will chip , but you can apply gel polish top cost to acrylic if that helps you.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Thank you for that :) is it at all possible to do acrylic or gel extensions, normal nail polish then a small 3D acrylic bow or something? As like I said my clients don't want to pay extra for gel polish over their extensions as normal polish lasts as long on enhancements xx

I make my 3d flowers on sculpting forms beforehand. Then I apply them over gel polish or nail polish with nail glue, or a small dot of clear acrylic. They last well (until infills) where I just use nail nippers to remove them. HTHImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414660582.817309.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414660622.578910.jpg

Oops just to clarify, these are acrylic nails with nail polish 😊

Oops just to clarify, these are acrylic nails with nail polish 😊

Wow Dawn you are so good those look amazing !!!!

Beauty at your finger tips!

Wow they are gorgeous <3 thank you xxx

Latest posts

Back