Acrylic Brushes - how long before need replacing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollylolly

Reaction score
Good morning Geeks,

Just wondering how long you use an acrylic brush before it needs replacing.

I do on average 4 clients a day 6 days a week, and I find that my brush needs replacing after approx every 4 months. I do look after my brush, but do find that after a couple of months it does seem to thin out a bit.

I currently use the NSI No.8 round precision brush.

Is this an average timespan or should I be looking to try out another make of brush?

Any input would be appreciated.

Sally xx

I think I've been told that 12 months is the average lifespan for a brush.
In saying that I have just retired my brush this week after 21months of continious salon use.
:hug:

I think I've been told that 12 months is the average lifespan for a brush.
In saying that I have just retired my brush this week after 21months of continious salon use.
:hug:
we would recommend one year, but I've also kept mine for such a longer time... I don't even remember when I got them...

Mine last about 10 months (used almost 40 hours a week)...... I hate to retire them (as you get used to them).

You often don't realise how great a new brush is until you start a new one.

One of my little sayings "brushes die of boredom", the more often you use it, the less you dry it out, the longer it will last.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I think I may have to shop around and find a new brush that will last me longer.

Can anyone suggest a good brush?

Thanks you

Sally xx

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I think I may have to shop around and find a new brush that will last me longer.

Can anyone suggest a good brush?

Thanks you

Sally xx

It does depend on what acrylic you are using, acrylic manufacturers do research into length of bristles, type of hair, diameter of ferrule according to product ratios, which will make it easier for you to pick up a bead (or dare I say "pearl"), with the brush recommended for the product.

A good quality brush may be expensive, but will last a very long time if properly cared for. My best brush that I use every day is the EZFlow Grand Artist. It cost $35, but I've had it for 2 years now and it still works perfectly and has it's pointed tip. It's about a size 8 brush. But I care for it meticulously. I always clean it with the monomer (no brush cleaner or acetone) and "push out" any bits of acrylic with my fingernail or a orangewood stick, reshape it (brush it against lint-free towel on all sides to bring the point back) and put the cap back on (yes, it comes with a cap).
I also have Tammy Taylor brushes. They cost between $24- $28 each. I clean them with her brush cleaner. I don't use them as regularly, but I bought my last one about a year ago. It's still in pretty good shape.
I purchased cheap brushes in school. They never lasted long, so I don't buy them anymore.
Also, if you work "too wet", it will gum up your brush and wear it out faster.

Latest posts

Back