Acrylic nails problem!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalie_

Reaction score
I am feeling down about my ability in Acrylic Nails at the minute. I always do my Mum's nails and they last a couple of weeks before starting to lift etc. due to always using cleaning products and not using gloves..tut tut!

But had a client in 2 weeks ago tomorrow who text me last night to say two of her nails had fallen off...I offered to repair them at my standard charge of £2 per nail repair, but she says as she paid £25 for the nails she would try and fix them herself as it was ridiculous to have them fall off so soon...and she expected them to last 4-6 weeks... In the end I offered to repair for free to hopefully get custom back afterwards.
Should nails just be "falling off" and how can I tell her they need infilled at certain periods whilst they are on.

I am looking into doing the Nail Harmony Fusion course in June, just wondering if I should take Acrylics of my price list until then? xx :sad:

What training have you already done, and what products/system are you currently using.

Where do your Mums nails usually lift, cuticle area or sidewalls? This is not necessarily down to cleaning products, maybe your prep isn't what it should be.

Maybe talk us through your procedure and we will try and spot where the problem is :)

It's down to the person who takes care of there enhancements! But no set should last 4-6 week unless they have gone to a nss
If your suffering with lifting try nsi super bond

Don't be discouraged lovie.

Was this her first set?

Have you seen the nails?

Is she a picker?

Is she following the after care?

There are so many things that could have happened. If she is a picker you will be able to tell right away. There is a difference between getting a lift and "picking" it off and a nail just simply popping off. This is one set take this as a learning experience. A fill is supposed to be done every 2-3 weeks anyways (give or take a few days). Its upsetting when most of our clients don't have issues and can go a month with no issues but there is always that person that no matter what you do (perhaps due to nail growth, lifestyle, improper care) that don't last as long as the others. One problem is not worth pulling a treatment off your price list.

I am currently using Millenium as that is who I did my training with, but looking into training with Nail Harmony in June.

They just seem to lift at the cuticle area and these ones seem to have popped off according to this clients texts.

My procedure is: do all cuticle work dry, remover the shine with a white buffing block, apply nail prep primer, size up the tips, glue them on, file them down to length & shape properly, then apply nail tip blender and acidless(?) primer, then apply the L&P, then any polish/art and topcoat.

I told her they would need infilling after 2-3 weeks, at no time did I tell her they would last 4-6 weeks as I don't put a time limit on how long anything will last to the client. She also had them quite long so not sure if that has anything to do with it.xx

I am feeling down about my ability in Acrylic Nails at the minute. I always do my Mum's nails and they last a couple of weeks before starting to lift etc. due to always using cleaning products and not using gloves..tut tut!

But had a client in 2 weeks ago tomorrow who text me last night to say two of her nails had fallen off...I offered to repair them at my standard charge of £2 per nail repair, but she says as she paid £25 for the nails she would try and fix them herself as it was ridiculous to have them fall off so soon...and she expected them to last 4-6 weeks... In the end I offered to repair for free to hopefully get custom back afterwards.
Should nails just be "falling off" and how can I tell her they need infilled at certain periods whilst they are on.

I am looking into doing the Nail Harmony Fusion course in June, just wondering if I should take Acrylics of my price list until then? xx :sad:

No, nails should not be falling off but then you really do not know that they are falling off .......... clients have a variety of phrases to escape responsibility for what usually turns out to be breakages.

Here are some popular ones, and you'd better get used to dealing with it because most women try it on with a new technician who they sense will give them a freeby if they complain. (a trap you have fallen into already)

1. I've LOST two nails.
2. They just FELL off.
3. It just FLEW off!
4. I just looked and it had DISAPPEARED!
5. It PINGED off.
6. It POPPED off.

Now nail enhancements do not get LOST, they don't just FALL off, they have no wings and cannot FLY away or DISAPPEAR and they only PING off or do any of these things if the client bashes them or picks at them or plays with them in the mouth.

Keep going .. be thorough and don't expect problems and don't mention problems. Act confident. Changing your product wont help you just by changing it, you are going to have to change something you are doing if this is happening allot. The products you are using are pretty poor quality so a step up would be a good move and your prep sounds a bit dodgy too. Poor nails!!!

To end, your nails should not be lifting after two weeks either. This is a sign that something you are doing may not be right. Maintenance should be carried out every 3 weeks maximum and if your client thinks her nails are going to last 5-6 weeks she can think again ... they won't.

Last edited:
Don't be discouraged lovie.

Was this her first set?

Have you seen the nails?

Is she a picker?

Is she following the after care?

There are so many things that could have happened. If she is a picker you will be able to tell right away. There is a difference between getting a lift and "picking" it off and a nail just simply popping off. This is one set take this as a learning experience. A fill is supposed to be done every 2-3 weeks anyways (give or take a few days). Its upsetting when most of our clients don't have issues and can go a month with no issues but there is always that person that no matter what you do (perhaps due to nail growth, lifestyle, improper care) that don't last as long as the others. One problem is not worth pulling a treatment off your price list.

I will see the nails tomorrow at 10am, don't think it was the first time, think she said first time in a few years at least and she usually goes to an NSS salon (hollywood nails) and has them there so might explain a few things. She's also pregnant, but didn't think that would affect the acrylics.
Like I said in the last comment I told her a infill would need to be done after 2-3 weeks and at no time at all did I say they would last 4-6 weeks.

It's down to the person who takes care of there enhancements! But no set should last 4-6 week unless they have gone to a nss
If your suffering with lifting try nsi super bond

It is very possible to have clients go 4+ weeks with their enhancements without any lifting or breaking .

I have clients who go month to month with their enhancements (against my advice) and I wouldn't consider myself a NSS salon.

Pregnant women's nails are more oily. They will tend to lift quicker

Pregnant women's nails are more oily. They will tend to lift quicker
I don't agree. I have done hundreds of pregnant women,s nails with CND and not once that I can recall, had any difficulties with nail enhancements lifting. The ,pregnant thing is a myth' IMHO

Well, my client for the repairs didn't show up! xx

Latest posts

Back