Acrylic or L&P?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

When I trained with CND in 2006 I was taught that all nail systems are acrylic based and the only difference was application methods such as Gel, Liquid and Powder, Fiberglass, silk etc. We always referred to what many people called acrylic as liquid and powder, but I notice that even nail professionals now call it acrylic. Did something change?

Acrylic seems to have such a bad reputation and many people that I come into contact with have been educated that acrylic or L&P is bad for the nails and that gel is a much better system. I spend my time educating them that both gel and l&p are acrylic based systems and the only damage caused with either system is in incorrect application and removal.

Am I still correct in thinking that all systems are acrylic based? If so why are nail professionals such as Greg from Young Nails referring to L&P as acrylic?

I can't answer for Greg but I call it l&p here and to other professionals but I find when I say that to first time clients they're like "huh??!" So I end up having to refer to it as acrylic.

I am trying to get out of the habit of calling it acrylic and I'm trying to call it l&p xxx

Hi Florence2004. I think the reason why a lot of nail techs call L&P Acrylics i because they are taught that way. I did my course 2 years ago and I've been trained to call it Acrylic. I first heard about L&P here on salon geek and didn't know what it was until I did some research. Hope that helps to answer your question

L&P is still the professional term for it but every profession has terms that are better know to the general public. If i advertised my L&P nails as that, customers would think i had some odd new thing they have never heard of. They all understand acrylic nails though. Its easy to refer to the well know name instead of the professional one sometimes.

I dont think calling it acrylic does any real harm, we all know what its referring to. The people in comet dont get upset with me when i go in asking for a new Dyson hoover when really i want a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

Its more important that we know the difference and similarities in the products and can explain them to our clients IMO.

Latest posts

Back