Acrylic or Shellac - Am I giving in?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Nails

Reaction score
Hello Geeks,

Ok I'm in a bit of a pickle so need some grown up advice. I passed my CND l+p conversion in May of this year and passed my NVQ2 acrylic last October. Since this time I have been using my family to practise on, one of them being my niece. Every two weeks when I go to her for a rebalance she either has loads missing broken or lifted. Now whilst I'm still a newbie most of my other family and friend guinea pigs have very little problems except for the odd broken nail of small bit of lifting. It has now gotten to the point where I need some advice. Could it be that she doesnt suit acrylic. I dont do Brisa gel yet as I wanted to master l+p first. I do however do shellac on myself and my mum and I love shellac and I'm really confident in it. (doing my shellac brings them back on 8th oct for the certificate). So do I try shellac on her or am I just giving up. It has gotten to the point where this is knocking my confidence so badly I dread her calls to tell me what else has gone wrong. I have a 121 booked also for October lift prevention (which has been put back should have been this month but unforeseen circumstances changed it). Thought perhaps someone could give me some advice.

Her nails are very dry (although Ive given her solar oil and she uses it). They grow quicker than any nails I have ever seen before, could that cause a problem making them imbalanced all the time. She is not the most careful of people. Any thoughts would really be appreciated. I love nails but this is getting me down.

Sorry second question. Can you use opaque powders to disguise the natural nail growth but put sheer pink over the top to make the appication slightly easier lol. Or is this cheating!! Thanks guys xx

Hi! You could try her with Shellac, but it doesn't sound dtrong enough, I would still give her a go though? Are they too long perhaps? Can you take photos?
xx

Not every person is suited for every nail service. I would go ahead and try the Shellac on her. I would keep the nails short in the beginning and go from there. :)

Not every person is suited for every nail service. I would go ahead and try the Shellac on her. I would keep the nails short in the beginning and go from there. :)

Thank you,

I think that is exactly what I'm going to try. Plus it might also make her aware of looking after her nails. Without being horrible cos I love my niece, it's very easy to sometimes not take responsibility for your nails and breaking them. This way it will be down to her not me iygwim. Thanks deanosnana :hug: x

Thank you,

I think that is exactly what I'm going to try. Plus it might also make her aware of looking after her nails. Without being horrible cos I love my niece, it's very easy to sometimes not take responsibility for your nails and breaking them. This way it will be down to her not me iygwim. Thanks deanosnana :hug: x

Absolutely! I do believe that some enhancement clients tend to think their nails are indestructible.

I would also give your niece a Shellac aftercare sheet and recommend solar oil. Thst stuff is magic for nails. You could also 'bribe' her with; if your nails are in good shape in two weeks, we can do... artwork, a french, whatever you think will motivate her.

Best of luck! :hug:

Last edited:
Absolutely! I do believe that some enhancement clients tend to think their nails are indestructible.

I would also give your niece a Shellac aftercare sheet and recommend solar oil. Thst stuff is majic for nails. You could also 'bribe' her with; if your nails are in good shape in two weeks, we can do... artwork, a french, whatever you think will motivate her.

Best of luck! :hug:

Unfortunately she does use solar oil and regularly. Which makes me think that she really does not suit acrylic. I have been looking at nataylia's shellac which is out of this world and I was thinking of doing some swirls on her if she can grow them. Good practise for me as well xx

Latest posts

Back