Acrylic Paints?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherw55

Reaction score
Hi
To all you Nail Arters out there, Please can you tell me where you get your Acrylic paints used for nail art from? Do you use Art shops or do you stick with what the wholesaler sells? Just interested if anyone has any tips for paints to use for metallics, ie-Golds and Silver. Heather

I got my first nail art kit when i did the spangles nail art course (1day) this included 6acrylic paints, one of which was silver. I have since bought loads more acrylic paints in tubes from an art shop (about £5 for 30) just to give me more variety in colour - would definitly recommend doing this! I bought them from bookseller (cheap book/craft place).
There's no metallics in there, but I don't really do a lot of nail art so haven't made the effort to seek out any more!

Not sure if this helps...?

got my paints from hobby shop, 95p each, if you shake them and put brush in lid instead of jar, brill for little flowers etc, every colour available, let dry then just run topcoat over with a light touch and your done!!
hope this helps, oh by the way it just just washes off with hot water if you want to re-do.

Lin

Lin_mul said:
got my paints from hobby shop, 95p each, if you shake them and put brush in lid instead of jar, brill for little flowers etc, every colour available, let dry then just run topcoat over with a light touch and your done!!
hope this helps, oh by the way it just just washes off with hot water if you want to re-do.

Lin
Absolutely the same for me. I get mine pretty cheap from an arts & craft store, about 85 cents each. They last forever, but you have to shake them up really good once you've had them for a while. I have about 45-60 colors total. Keep your eye out because they do make them in metallics, and shimmers. If you make a mess, they are easy to be cleaned with a little soap and water, or just plain water.

Acrylic paint all the way for me. I go to the discount stores, Walmart...50 cents a bottle, and lasts FOREVER! I have a little plastic art tray/pallette (99 cents)that I put out one small drop of each color on. After it dries it is easily scraped off and cleaned. Before I got that I just used a styrafoam plate or tray. I researched "nail art" paint and it was 500 times the cost! Acrylic craft paint with a good top coat works great. The only way to go for me. They have a large variety of colors and even have neon and metallic. Very affordable and durable.
Don't be bothered with "nail art paint"!
HTH
LisaV.

Like everyone else said a craft shop or Walmarts. Walmart even carries delta put out by ceramicoat. Its a very good quality paint - it might need alittle thinning for nails - with water but since I don't do much nail art yet I am not sure how that will effect the adhesion.

What I really wanted to say is as acrylic paints age they dry out more and more and begin to form a 'rubber-like' layer on top. Then when you squeeze the paint out you can get little bits of dry acrylic on your brush that can be really annoying. One way to avoid this is to shake the bottle and store upside down. That way the film is always on the bottom and never gets squeezed out on the palette. The shaking is to help insure separation of the pigment and binder doesn't occur but if it does just shake. lol

Hey,
I get mine from Hobbycraft 89p a bottle and I also use Crayola washable ones- for the designs I'm not sure of, If I don't like them I can just wash it off or seal with top coat if I do.

Hope this has helped

:D

I get some colours from my local artists shop, however the range of colours for instant in spangles is far better..such as pastals and metallics...

I use both, and I use Artists Acrylics (System 3 is quite reasonable) for my main colours blue red etc and for pearlescent pastal colours I use spangles....

Thankyou to you all who have taken the time and trouble to let me know what you use!!! Its deffinatly off to the art shops for me, i love the tip about storing the bottles upside down what a great idea and so simple just somthing my tiny brain wouldnt think of!!!! CHEERS FOR THE HELP X X

Are the ones that you can just wipe off if you muck up (more than likely lol) waterbased? I tried some that I bought and couldnt wipe off they were like nail varnish? Is there a way of knowing what to look for?

Thanks for help :)
Jo xx

Mine were just kids crayola paints in small pots.
Yes they are waterbased (thank god) :green:

Love
Carrie x

wish id found the paints in walmart on my jollys to florida in the summer ! took me four hours to browse round the store as it is lol
check out boyes stores girls amongst the material and net curtain type stuff they have loads of acrylic paints big fat tubs for 99p !! love a bargain. :D

dennis said:
check out boyes stores girls amongst the material and net curtain type stuff they have loads of acrylic paints big fat tubs for 99p !! love a bargain. :D
We dont have those stores in my neck of the woods :sad:
We do have lots of branches of 'The Works' though (cheapie bookshops)
I buy my acrylic paints from there or the craft sect. in local garden centre.
Both places sell Anita's for 99p.

I have to say Hobbycraft is a good place to go for waterbased acrylic paints. You get a good range of colours and they are so much cheaper than art shops.

Hi Jo,

All true acrylic paints are waterbased and will dry to a matte finish. If it is a metallic paint it still dries to a matte finish its just the 'glitter' that shines. If some type of satin or gloss has been added (which is usually a water based varnish I believe) it dries to a gloss finish which makes removing it more difficult.

Enamels and gloss paints are sold right next to the hobby acrylics and that may be what you have. I don't use them but I think they are for glass, metal, and exterior projects. These are harder to remove and probably smear.

Acrylics dry very fast and once it dries or starts to set around the edges its going to be harder also.

I know this isn't being much help as I don't know much about nail art yet...but i want to. Here is the thing you probably need a base coat so they don't stain the acrylic a prepared surface with and eggshell finish will have the best adhesion.???LOL My feeble attempt to help is turning into questions.

For those with experience...please help me....
Lets say we have a new bottle of acrylic...

0. Should you thin the paint with water so that if flows on smoother, flatter, and cleaner lines?

1. Do you need to base coat before applying acrylic? If so what do you use to do this with? Does it need to be a clear coat or can it be applied over polish?

2. Can floating and shading techniques be used or would the water content in the brush make it peel away over the base? polish? (as acrylic paints generally don't stick well to slick surfaces) Or do you have to use double and triple loading techniques to get the paint to stick?

3. Are you creating dimension with blending, shading and highlighting techniques or are you using color? (as in the colors natural value)

I guess I also need to say that I am thinking about hand painting as opposed to airbrushing.

One more question what do you seal it with? No...no just one more... lolol will painting in layers even if you let it dry between layers cause peeling?

If anyone is wondering why i don't do nail art... yet have so many questions it is because I am a twenty year old artist...thats not right ..let me clarify...I have been an artist for twenty years now and I have probably painted on just about everything...everything but nails that is...lolol.

I have got to learn how to use these emoticons...I love them. Thanks for all the help/info in advance.

heatherw55 said:
Hi
To all you Nail Arters out there, Please can you tell me where you get your Acrylic paints used for nail art from? Do you use Art shops or do you stick with what the wholesaler sells? Just interested if anyone has any tips for paints to use for metallics, ie-Golds and Silver. Heather
Hi heather, IF you want the best paint for nail art use Medea, as its viscoisty is far finer, and lasts much longer when applied, rather like would you use sunflower oil, or olive oil to cook with, for better results!

I have some Acrylic paints from www.Nailorder.com have a look they have some really good bargins on there.

I used nail order paints when i started doing nail art, now i use water based paints from the local art shop (i dispence the paints into my little pots) water them down though as they are rather thick to begin with.

Oh just a thought, how much would you charge for crushed shells as a full set. I'm sure i'm not charging enough for my work

LisaV. said:
Acrylic paint all the way for me. I go to the discount stores, Walmart...50 cents a bottle, and lasts FOREVER! I have a little plastic art tray/pallette (99 cents)that I put out one small drop of each color on. After it dries it is easily scraped off and cleaned. Before I got that I just used a styrafoam plate or tray. I researched "nail art" paint and it was 500 times the cost! Acrylic craft paint with a good top coat works great. The only way to go for me. They have a large variety of colors and even have neon and metallic. Very affordable and durable.
Don't be bothered with "nail art paint"!
HTH
LisaV.

Walmart what a fantastic shop ...I would have lived all day in there on my recent hol to Florida if my hubby wasnt getting bored :lol:

Latest posts

Back