Acrylics are lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppyb53

Reaction score
I always experience lifting at the back of my nails when I am wearing acrylics. How can I drop this from happening??

I always experience lifting at the back of my nails when I am wearing acrylics. How can I drop this from happening??

Are you a qualified nail professional please?

Tell us your process step by step and we'll see if we can suggest anything to resolve the issue
Oh thank you, that's really helpful.
1. Sanitise hands
2. Apply Cuticle softener and complete Cuticle work. Wipe clean after with lint free wipe.
3. File nail and buff the top.
4. Clean with isopropyl.
5. Apply primer
6. Apply acrylic.

I have also contacted the company I completed my training with and they have suggested that it could be down to my diet or the products I am using as they just may not suit me. Am currently in the process of purchasing new products to test them out.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Oh thank you, that's really helpful.
1. Sanitise hands
2. Apply Cuticle softener and complete Cuticle work. Wipe clean after with lint free wipe.
3. File nail and buff the top.
4. Clean with isopropyl.
5. Apply primer
6. Apply acrylic.

I have also contacted the company I completed my training with and they have suggested that it could be down to my diet or the products I am using as they just may not suit me. Am currently in the process of purchasing new products to test them out.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Which brand are you using? are you mixing and matching products from different ranges? Do you have photos of the nails we can see?

If you are a beginner I would suggest you are either not doing enough prep and leaving non-living tissue on the nail bed, or touching skin with the overlay product which will cause lifting

Which brand are you using? are you mixing and matching products from different ranges? Do you have photos of the nails we can see?

If you are a beginner I would suggest you are either not doing enough prep and leaving non-living tissue on the nail bed, or touching skin with the overlay product which will cause lifting
Acrylic powder, liquid and primer are all NSI. When you say leaving non-living tissue on the nail bed do you mean I am not pushing the cuticles back enough or not buffing enough? Sorry I can't get a clear enough picture to show the lifting.

Acrylic powder, liquid and primer are all NSI. When you say leaving non-living tissue on the nail bed do you mean I am not pushing the cuticles back enough or not buffing enough? Sorry I can't get a clear enough picture to show the lifting.

Its not pushing back the cuticle or buffing, its about removing the non-living tissue from the surface of the nail plate and then ensuring the cuticle remover product is removed correctly. i.e. CND Cuticle Away has to be removed with soap and water to deactivate it, using IPA to remove it will cause lifting.

Its not pushing back the cuticle or buffing, its about removing the non-living tissue from the surface of the nail plate and then ensuring the cuticle remover product is removed correctly. i.e. CND Cuticle Away has to be removed with soap and water to deactivate it, using IPA to remove it will cause lifting.
Ahh...that makes sense. Thanks for your help.

Don’t use a cuticle remover, they have oils and softening serums which WILL lift acrylic or gel if any residue is left. I recommend dry cuticle work, then alcohol to remove any dust then use a fluffy brush to remove any tiny bits you can’t see, even the smallest bit of dust can lift a nail. Hope this helps

As above check your cuticle remover, or switch to dry cuticle work, and check your removing as much of the dead tissue off the nail plate as possible.
You could try double priming (let one lot dry then add another layer) or using a dehydrator, then look at your application, make sure your l&p ratio is right, make sure no product is getting In the cuticles, and make sure your apex is in the right place (not to far forwards)
But also after those trouble shooting steps, not all systems work on everyone (nsi lifted very easily on me) but it’s easy to blame a product when sometimes it’s as easy to get it to work as double priming or using a different cuticle product.

Celina Ryden Just posted a great video about lifting on YouTube, work checking out.

Latest posts

Back