Acrylics for nail biters?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busy-bee

Reaction score
I'm a hair geek and I'm starting a nail course next month, so at the moment I know nothing about nails.
I'm after some advice for my daughter.
She is 16 and has her school prom on Friday. She has been chomping down on the ends of her nails and now does not have a lot left, although she has not gone as far as the skin (if that makes sense?)
My question is, how much free nail do you need to be able to apply a tip to for acrylics?
I just don't want to get her hopes up and get in there for them to say they can't do it :(

That should be fine hon - a skilled tech can do enhancements on nail biters but the thing to bear in mind is they pobably won't last as long on her as she is a nail biter (as am I!) and biters/ex-biters tend to keep picking, hae their hands in their mouth (maybe subconsciously) and this all leads to service breakdown. So if you find a good tech they will be able to do it but she needs to be extra vigilant in looking after them.

I'd also mention this when you book her in and check how confident the tech is. If there is any free edge there shouldn't be a problem?

Maybe another more experienced tech will be along xx

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated :)

If she hasn't bitten it too short (so far down that her nail plates are unnaturally small) she should be fine to get tipped. But if it's badly bitten to say like this or worse...

230px-Nail_and_cuticle_bitting.JPG

a skilled tech can still tip, or sculpt right on her nails to extend them just over the fleshy finger tips. It wouldn't be wise to have them any longer than that because they could lift or snap off.

They are just a teeny bit longer then in that picture, so I think I will risk it :)
Thanks for the advice :)

One of my most loyal clients is a terrible biter, her nails are much shorter than those in the picture, and I use welled tips and her nails last roughly 2 weeks, although she always has a couple missing. I bet your daughters nails could be done no problem

Thanks for replying :)
I'm really pleased as this will be a nice surprise for her now, we both thought they were beyond help lol

Latest posts

Back