Acrylics - help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberley-r

Reaction score
Hi, I've just done day 2 of my acrylics course. Have got all the products (NSI Intro Kit). My first set was okay for a first set, needed a bit of work around the cuticle area. My 2nd set at home however was pretty awful - I just couldn't seem to get the consistency right so sometimes it was too watery and sometimes it was too powdery, they were very bumpy and I had to spend almost an hour filing. I've just soaked them off the way I was taught to - soak cotton wool in acetone and wrap around the finger in foil. After 20 minutes it hadn't budged so ended up soaking fingers in acetone, but it needed a lot of buffing to get it off and the tips were very stubborn.

My poor sister - sat for 2 hours getting them done and an hour getting them off!

I did another set today on the 2nd day of my course with natural tips and a pink overlay and it went fine. I've got exactly the same products as we use on the course but seemed to do so much better on the course!

My sister's nails are also really weak now after all the buffing! I feel really bad - she wanted her nails doing and let me do acrylics on her but it's been a lot of hassle. Taken them off after a few days because they were annoying her.

Overall I am not very keen on doing acrylic nail extensions - but as I've done the course and just need to go back once more to get my certificate I feel as though I shouldn't give up and should get the certificate. I am tempted just to do gels - did them today and found it so much better, shellac/gelish and manicures/pedicures. Hoping to go mobile eventually. I just really struggle with acrylic and am not keen on it!

I'm not sure if my sister will let me do acrylics again because it was so much effort - or if I want to do them again! I was never really planning doing them but it was included in the course so I did it anyway - bought some products but I really don't feel like continuing with acrylic!

Any advice appreciated, thanks :) x

Hi hun

the course you are doing is just the beginning of acrylics you cant learn them over night, they take months even years to master properly. Every mistake is a learning curve and every bit of training you do is a step in the right direction. NSI are a reputable company and Im sure offer loads of progressive training programmes so practise practise and train and train.

You will get there but rome wasnt built in a day. Good luck xxxxx

Stick at it, acrylics take months to master technique and product consistency. Don't expect to be good at them overnight it all takes time. Practice practice practice.
Soaking off shouldn't take you long with nsi - max of 20 minutes, and use a cuticle pusher to gently push the dissolved acrylic off the nail but be careful not to push to hard and damage the nail bed. If you have to file product off turn do so gently especially when getting near the nail plate. There are lots of YouTube tutorials that can help with technique. Don't give up.

Latest posts

Back