Adive about renting space

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babeluv

Reaction score
Hi Ya Everyone

I'm new to this, I am looking for help, advice, comments and suggestions.

I am a retail owner i sell hair and beauty products. I have recently moved to a very large property and am starting to impliment a hair salon, nail and beauty services. Many of my new customers assumed i had salon services the demand is so great it would be stupid of me to have one.

Anyway i'll try and keep this short (to late LOL) I would like some advice about charging precedures, acquiring staff, contract or agreement details everything basically. I have researched the net but not had much look.

I will pose my forst question then read your helpful comments and ask my next.

Question 1: How do i charge the nail and hair stylists. I was going to charge a flat fee but from read your messages it seems a percentage would be better. Is 25% the norm?
How would i collect this would it be better weekly or monthly?
How would I know what they've earned, and what percentage to take?

That it for now if you come up with any other information related to charging fees I would love to hear them.
Thank You

If it were I, I would charge a flat fee per week. Ask for what you want and then be happy to be collecting it regularly on a weekly basis. During holidays etc. you are still paid for the space. And no one can cheat, and you do not have to worry that they will be cheating (which they will if they get a chance). Fix the rate for a year with a review at the end of the year.

Also make sure you have a 3 month get out clause where if you or the renter is not happy they can leave or be asked to leave.

If I were renting, I would not like to pay a percentage ... it looks good while you are starting out but later seems a bit much and I would resent it.

Decide in advance what the salon pays for ... laundry, coffee, phone etc. and the hours each person is going to work and commit to working. It looks terrible if the salon is empty of technicians because it is a nice sunny day or something.

Just a few ideas.

I was wondering i'm in the process of putting everything in place.
Who would make the bookings, them or me?
What do I provide apart from tables, chairs, mirrors that kind of thing?

Do you know the average charge for renting a space, I know you have to consider electric, water etc.. for the west mids area?

in following my last post,
How would the stylists or nail tech handle their cash from customers. Do you know the usual procedure. Would i put a till in their area of work, would they just put it in the pockets, not sure how to go about it really?

I rent space - £100 per week. As Geeg said it's so much easier than faffing about with percentages etc. For this I get the space and electrics and that's about it. I supply everything myself, but I'd rather it this way as I choose and get loaded off with some cheap c**p that im not happy with.

I handle my own cash - doesn't go through the till, only credit card payments, and I get the stylists to do this and then they give me the cash back there and then.

I do all my own advertising, again so I have total quality control.

We get on very well though and have a tacit understanding that I won't do anything new without passing it through Louise, but she is very accommodating.

On the whole the juniors answer the phone and any nail/ beauty enquiries are transferred through to us - we have a digital phone with 2 handsets.

Just choose your renters wisely! If you end up with someone who is shall we say not too experienced, you could end up with a bad reputation for the whole salon. Also that you don't get some little know it all that will upset the apple cart in the salon.

Basically I am completely self employed and I all I have is the space and utilities.

HTH

At my salon the receptionists takes the money, we have separate boxes to put our money in. (Works well for me i am lousy at charging people the correct amount!) I supply all my own products as does Sarah, much better that way. I am very lucky as included in my rent is tea, coffee, etc for my clients, advertising and use of the receptionist, ( :o ooer, I hope you know what i mean!)

All the therapist rent space and it seems to work very well. we pay even if we don't have a client, which has actually happened this month for the first time!

Hope that helps a bit. x

Good luck

Sassy Hassy said:
I handle my own cash - doesn't go through the till, only credit card payments, and I get the stylists to do this and then they give me the cash back there and then.

I do all my own advertising, again so I have total quality control.

Hi something to think about. If you are going to take credit card payments or cheques and then give the girls the cash you would have to take out your expenses as cheques cost money to cash and you credit card machine cost quite a lot too. They need to be made aware of this or you will end up out of pocket.

Thanks everyone about the charging clients problem, you've helped me alot.

I was a bit daunted going into this field of renting but the clouds are becoming more clearer thanks to you all.

My next question is obtaining staff i know of all the interview procedures, and what i'm looking for in a person. However when it comes to skills and experience how do you all out there sit with this.

Would you take a person with qualifications over a person who just has experience.

Scenrio: If a person has been mobile for say 15 years, is she better that a person with qualifications and less experience. I know some people prefer to know that their stylist is fully qualified to do the job, however in this day an age experience is ranking high on the list also.

i would take the better person, but it would depend on your insurance if they are not qualified. Just cos someone been doing it for years doesn't necessarily make them good , and to be honest if they haven't updated their skills i'd be wary. Wheras someone who is newly qualified may be a little less confident but is totally up to date esp re health and safety etc. Would depend on the person and how they would fit in to your set up at the end of the day.

Thanx for that Sassy, having qualifications is the best way at the end of the day.

How long hav you bein a Nail Techician and do you rent space or are you the owner, if you rent space how is it. If you own it how has it been any problems or different ways of doing something.

Also people apart from EBAY where can i get cheap or reasonable salon equipment to buy.

Thanx

Latest posts

Back