Advertising but not getting anything!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effie

Reaction score
I've been advertising for a couple of months now and I've not had a single phone call/booking at all.
I've tried every avenue I can think and have taken tips from other threads on here. I've one last thing to sort and that's google ad words but other than that I'm hitting a dead end.
I do have a small stream of clients from friends, family and parents from the school but would like a few more but running out if ideas fast!!!!

What's your website looking like. I had very few clients when I first started out, then one day my webhost decided to pack up and took my site with then. Best thing they ever did. I got my site done professionally and the phone started ringing. That would be the first thing I'd look at. :)

What's your website looking like. I had very few clients when I first started out, then one day my webhost decided to pack up and took my site with then. Best thing they ever did. I got my site done professionally and the phone started ringing. That would be the first thing I'd look at. :)

My website is almost finished last touches to do but it is pretty basic as I don't have the funds to have it professionally done, better than your vista print sites I would add

Have you put adverts on all of the free internet sites like freeindex, qyp, yell.com etc. I advertise with all of these & just have a free google website & I've always had quite a lot of response from these!xxx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Have you put adverts on all of the free internet sites like freeindex, qyp, yell.com etc. I advertise with all of these & just have a free google website & I've always had quite a lot of response from these!xxx

Yep done lots of free ads, might still be some I could do so will look into it this wk but the normal yell Thompson etc have been done

Ooh I had a look on your profile to see what it was you do, as you are a nail tech it would be good if you could find some local mobile hairdressers & ask them if they'd carry some of your cards & maybe recommend you to bridal parties etc (thats if you are mobile aswell!). I do this from time to time & it works out well!(l'm a mobile hairdresser & makeup artist so as long as I've seen pics of peoples work I'm happy to pass their cards around on my travels!)xxx

There's nothing like getting face to face to get business. I own a ladies gym and last month we had a little do, and invited some local businesses that do womens things to come in. A nail tech came in, set up a table and did Mani Q, and a bra lady came in. The nail tech did loads on the day and has had 5 or 6 people book in as a result, the bra lady got 7 bookings. Not bad for a glass of wine & a chat for 2 hours!

So, maybe you can look for similar opportunities in your area?

Are you on Google places? I did Google Adwords a while back and found it to be quite expensive for not a lot of return so shut it down. Google places on the other hand is free and works quite well! Have you done all your SEO's for your website? You can also purchase the URL's for the most frequent search terms for your business/area i.e. Spray Tan Croydon. Try and link to other sites as well and add videos to your site. Google own YouTube and videos rank you higher xx

for me my website has been great and brought in people from my local area that wouldnt have found me otherwise. i think with so many people searching the web now its definitely the way to go xx

Hi, apologies for getting a bit technical here but who is your target market and are you advertising in places they will be looking? It helps if you can define who your "ideal client" is and then go where they go. I like the post above that talks about connecting with other businesses and collaborating on services or spring-boarding on their promotions - it's a win win!

Everything everyone has suggested so far is a winner I would say, websites are a great tool I cant recommend them enough as long as they look professional then people will be attracted. Have you tried your local netmums pages too?

Do you use Social Media? Again another great tool for me. Facebook pages are there to demostrate your work with any pictures that you post and again you can also post on twitter and pintrest. I get a lot of clients from Facebook.

Lastly as someone mentioned above see if you can get yourself in somewhere like a ladies gym, I went into my local Curves 3 times last month to do mini treatments for charity and I have got so many new clients from it this month!

Keep your spirits up, once you get a few clients the recommendations will come in and it will snowball!:Love:

Are you mobile or do you have a premises? If you have a premises you could maybe try an open day evening? I have thought lots about this for if I ever do get a premises. I thought I would have a groupon deal and sell mini treatments like hand, foot, scalp massages (10/15mins) for something like £2 or £3. And before you know it, salon full of potential new clients.

However, if you are mobile. You could try big leaflet drops. Definitely target your marketing. When I was mobile, I was NOT going to leaflet drop flats as meant lugging my table up way too many stairs! I did all the nice areas with nice cars who I thought would like the idea of someone coming to them. I also tried knocking on the houses and introducing myself and asking if they would like a leaflet/ discount voucher/ pricelist. That way I was making sure my leaflets weren't getting wasted. If you do this, try and look the part- don't go wearing scruffy trainers and jeans- would put me off a therapist anyway

Lynne's thread is obviously fantastic, and one thing I think is also covered on there is approaching other businesses. Something I saw on facebook just today is a nail business linking to fitflop (the shoes). They were running a competition whereby you had to like the fitflop page and write on their wall which colour nail varnish you would wear with your fitflops! And I presume fitflop have got something similar to link their clients to the nail business. You could perhaps find a wedding shop/ hairdressers etc with a facebook page and see if you could work together to build each others likes and spread the word. Networking is contagious! Someone came to me for a body wrap and wrote on her facebook page that she'd lost 13 inches. I have so far had 3 of her facebook friends contact me because they were so impressed!

I work from home, and advertising so far had been via
Facebook
Friends/family
Yell, Thompson and many other free ads sites
Shop windows
Leaflet dropping around gyms, shops and banks asking then to leave in there staff Room
Friends that are teachers leaving in school staff room
I've asked at many places but had declines.
Dance schools
Website which is still in progress
Etc etc
I've still a few other avenues to try but would be happy with just a few enquiries

Latest posts

Back