Advertising yourself starting out Mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairByCharlotte

Reaction score
Bare with me cos this may be a long one. :)
I worked in a salon full time up until oct 2011 left and started part time in another salon till present. I am currently doing mobile on the days I don't work but really want to do it full time as I love it but haven't got enough business yet
I have read Lynne bakers thread on here but alot if it is for salons not mobile
I am doing a hair extension course in march and already have 6 people interested so hopefully that will pick up. I have ordered fridge magnets from vista print with business name etc on instead of a card, car advertising door magnets and ordered loyalty cards giving the client 10% off on 2nd visit , 20% off on 4th visit and in 5th visit have a colour and receive cut n blow dry free!
Have also used free advertising sites, have twitter and face book for the business where I announce promotions and my own website where I place promotions etc the ones I have ATM are : recommend a friend and get 10 of your service and your friend receives the same (if booked in 7 days of eachother) and throughout march I'm doing all new clients 25% off first visit if re book for 6 weeks time!

Long story short I want more business I want to be working 12 hour days if I have to ! Does any one have any constructive criticism or any ideas for me.? Or maybe we can all discuss what we do as mobile hairdressers

Thank you for reading this long lol x

The thing I found with mobile is that it does take time to get your name about. It was only after plugging away for about 18 months, attending every pamper evening I found out about and leaving leaflets and business cards everywhere I went did I finally have to start turning away work because I didn't have enough time. Keep at it, it'll pay off :)

Wow that's great that's the type of level where I want to get to where I have weeks and weeks waitin list. Just have to persevere :D x

I got price lists made up, gave each client a bundle to take to work to leave in the staff room, sports centres are a great place to leave them, loads of women passing through all day, if you know anyone who works in a call centre drop them in there too, i also do leaflet drops, i pick an area when im quiet and put them through doors, it was hard going, hours at a time, up and down stairs, wrestling with dogs and nearly getting my fingers bitten off but was pretty successful when the fone started going

The best piece of paid advertising I've done is on yell.com. I take a medium weight listing so I can add bullet points and it has a link through to my website and when I run google analytics on the site and ask new clients how they found me, yell.com always comes out really strong.

Other than that, going into supermarkets and asking customer services if they'll take some leaflets for their staff room, local council offices same again, and even schools around and about.

It's hard graft but I have found that a big percentage of my mobile clients have stayed loyal over years so it's been worth it.

Good Luck!

Bare with me cos this may be a long one. :)
I worked in a salon full time up until oct 2011 left and started part time in another salon till present. I am currently doing mobile on the days I don't work but really want to do it full time as I love it but haven't got enough business yet
I have read Lynne bakers thread on here but alot if it is for salons not mobile
I am doing a hair extension course in march and already have 6 people interested so hopefully that will pick up. I have ordered fridge magnets from vista print with business name etc on instead of a card, car advertising door magnets and ordered loyalty cards giving the client 10% off on 2nd visit , 20% off on 4th visit and in 5th visit have a colour and receive cut n blow dry free!
Have also used free advertising sites, have twitter and face book for the business where I announce promotions and my own website where I place promotions etc the ones I have ATM are : recommend a friend and get 10 of your service and your friend receives the same (if booked in 7 days of eachother) and throughout march I'm doing all new clients 25% off first visit if re book for 6 weeks time!

Long story short I want more business I want to be working 12 hour days if I have to ! Does any one have any constructive criticism or any ideas for me.? Or maybe we can all discuss what we do as mobile hairdressers

Thank you for reading this long lol x

As well as all the above, you could also do a 999 service discount for Nurses Police etc (just think.... hunky firemen! lol)
Another though is Childrens Centres have a large hub of parents and children. On that note you could also create some lovely certificates/badges maybe even little bags for locks of hair?! etc for kids 'first haircuts'. Its all the rage at my local Childrens Centre!

And yes I am a mummy! lol

Good luck,

Ali

'Word of mouth' has been my best advertising. good service news travels fast.

Be sure your customer experience is the best it can be.
New customers Will be flocking your way.
I do nails, but my hairdresser hands out my cards and I hand out hers.

Pick a friend that has the gift of the gab and do her a great haircut, she is sure to tell everyone.
Also a contact a local magazine and place an editorial in there, and throw in a hairdo for them. Works wonders.

Good luck

Why on earth would you want to work 12 hours a day? I couldnt think of anything worse!!!

Thanks for all the help and advice and Cheshire gal I didn't mean literally do 12 hours every day but the most successful people are the ones that live eat and breathe what they want to do in life. I learnt that from one of my bosses I used to work for.... At the time
I would think Jesus ave a day off you can't keep away. But he and the salon during recession was always busy cos he put in extra hours and worked hard x

Latest posts

Back