Advice for a client whose nails break constantly!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumpapple

Reaction score
I have a lady come to me who wants long nails but they just don't want to be long!

She often comes with splits on a few nails which I repair with fibreglass wraps so that's fine but then the others break.

I use gelish and have tried structure gel on her but this doesn't seem to help.

She bought solar oil and was using it hoping this would strengthen them but says it hasn't made a difference after a couple of months now.

She's just cancelled her next appointment as her nails are short now. I told her that I do gelish on short nails too and they can look really nice but she won't have it. She just says they're horrible and says she'll have to leave it unless I have an answer to her dilemma.

So basically, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?

I don't currently offer extensions (will be training in gel extensions soon) but I did wonder if maybe acrylics would suit her better?
What would you all recommend to this client? Would be a shame to lose her but she is adamant short nails are horrible and only wants long!!

Thanks x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

So to clarify...cos i am still only half awake even thu i've been up since 5am,is she a natural nail client or artificial client??

If she is a natural client( i mean will refuse to and /or dislikes the idea of enhancements) then all you can do is what you have done so far..offering to support her nails(with fiberglass or structure gel) and provide the best home care..which you've done.

If you are going down the enhancement route then i would go ACRYLIC.i know others would say gel and there are a lot more new revolutionized gels on the market now. But my personally opinion would be that acrylic is the strongest.Particular if you have someone who is heavy handed???

If your going to do her some LONG beautiful nails..weather it be gel,acrylic or otherwise i would reinforce the stress area..AKA ZONE 2. By reinforce i mean add an additional bead to this area..blending to ensure it doesn't look think or bulky. The trick is to give the nail extra strength where the stress area is without it being visible to the naked eye.

The problem is that she wants super long nails but it sounds like her life style wont allow for this??and/or she just can't cope with them this long.

It can be done BUT if shes heavy handed and only wants to grow her own,a la natural...your a nail technician not a magician

A nail technician would be able to solve this ladies problem with a beautiful set of enhancements. As a manicurist at this point you cannot.

If the client is heavy handed and constantly breaks her natural nails, then a UV colour coat is unlikely to be strong enough, even with the added extra gel, to stop breaks from happening.

FYI. Solar Oil is not a product for strengthening nails, it is for moisturising nails to add increased flexibility and for the general good health of the natural nail.

Thanks both. Exactly as I thought. I have suggested that acrylic or gel extensions would probably suit her and her lifestyle better. Shame to lose someone but once I've finished my extension training maybe I could offer her a reduced price to try them out and see what she thinks.

I just wanted to check if wasn't missing another option first! :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back