Advice for a newie please!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kate08

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm really new to the site and am loving all the advice & chat on here!

I have always had an interest in training as a nail technician and have finally decided to take the plunge, i'm looking for some advice at my choice of course(s). Here go's....

My college has advised me to complete the following courses;

1. VTCT L2 Cert in Nail Treatments, Manicure & Pedicure
2. VTCT L2 Cert in Nail Technology

Does anyone have an comments or opinions as to whether this is the right way forward?

Thanks! :D

Kate xxx

if you do a search on here chick for training, you will be sitting for hours reading all the posts pmsl, grab a cuppa and a pen and paper, and start reading through them, i did VTCT in march last year, then did my foundation course this year, it depends where you want to work too, as some salons wont emply techs without NVQ or equivalent, whereas some are quite happy with brand related traning

have a read through see what you think babes xxx

I was hoping to work for myself PT around my other job (can't afford not to at the mo!) then see where it takes me. A friend recommended some brand relating training after the VTCT courses. Thanks for the tip hun xx

i've done my training with magnetic and in september going to college to do the same training as you. I think you need to do the qualifications with the college but .it's essential to get the proper training with your chosen system.thg:)

Hi, here's my two penny worth for you. :) I have had training with two companies, Creative and Ezflow. I am now doing the same VTCTs that you're considering, minus the pedicure, at the moment. I'm doing it externally and not at college, as there was nothing suitable in my area part time. I am doing it, not because I have to, but because I want to.

My honest opinion is that you get the better training, in practical terms, with good nail companies. The VTCT will provide a more in depth theoretical aspect and it also carries a government seal of approval, something you may well need in the future to actually work. That isn't the case in most areas at the moment, but you never know, and some employers do insist on it. With the increasing attention being drawn to NSS practice, maybe one way the government might tackle it <if they decide to take it seriously> is to insist on everyone having a qualification that is approved by them? Just a thought!

I guess what I'm saying is that if you possibly can, it's best if you can get both under your belt. Good luck! :)

Hi, here's my two penny worth for you. :) I have had training with two companies, Creative and Ezflow. I am now doing the same VTCTs that you're considering, minus the pedicure, at the moment. I'm doing it externally and not at college, as there was nothing suitable in my area part time. I am doing it, not because I have to, but because I want to.

My honest opinion is that you get the better training, in practical terms, with good nail companies. The VTCT will provide a more in depth theoretical aspect and it also carries a government seal of approval, something you may well need in the future to actually work. That isn't the case in most areas at the moment, but you never know, and some employers do insist on it. With the increasing attention being drawn to NSS practice, maybe one way the government might tackle it <if they decide to take it seriously> is to insist on everyone having a qualification that is approved by them? Just a thought!

I guess what I'm saying is that if you possibly can, it's best if you can get both under your belt. Good luck! :)

perfectly said hun xx

yes well said.thg:)

Latest posts

Back